U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree there are better places to shop. But in most cities there are very few places other than "serious" A/V stores where the help is knowledgeable. And the typical shopper doesn't even know where these stores are - nor are willing to pay the prices.
There are many ways to find these shops. Word of mouth is often best, but they can be found through internet searches or ads in a local rag. I'm not talking about businesses being run out of a home, or in a basement alley location. Just like anything else worth having, they may take a little legwork to find. Most are willing to get closer if not match local pricing, which often isn't always a huge discount anyway. It's an unfortunate misconception (which you are promoting by suggesting they have higher prices) that small shops are always more expensive and won't bargain a little. I worked in smaller shops for most of my career. To anyone who wasn't racing for the door after looking at a price on our products, the price of an individual piece of gear was seldom an issue. The difference is that Big Box stores focus primarily on having the lowest prices as THE reason to shop there, while local shops spend their time taking care of their clients, in many ways. There are certainly exceptions, but this is why I chose local rather than giant chains for my work.

Besides, isn't it worth a bit more to get better service, know you bought what you should have, and maybe have someone to call after the fact for assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default Not completely true

Quote:
LED: Exactly the same principle as LCD TVs except...
Not completely accurate.

LED TVs have LED displays.
For example: Outdoor TV FAQ | Weatherproof Television Information | Waterproof TV | Skyvue Outdoor TV | Made in the USA | Weatherproof TV

Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It is accurate for the vast majority of consumer use. The common use of the term "LED TV" means an LCD panel with LED backlighting.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I think you are 100% mistaken.

Skyvue says their TVs have "LED panels." They do not say what that means. I think their TVs are weather resistant LED backlight panels. Just like every other "LED TV" on the market today. I do not believe there are any TVs intended for home use that employ LEDs as the pixel or sub-pixel. If there were such a thing, it would be big news. I do not believe LEDs are manufactured in a size suitable (small enough) for a panel with 1920x1080 pixels (and 3 sub-pixels per pixel).

Maybe stadium systems.

Last edited by hoffdano; 10-02-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default You are correct

Quote:
I think you are 100% mistaken...Maybe stadium systems.
You are correct.

This is an LED TV
Arenas (Indoor Sports) - Mitsubishi Diamond Vision

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM

1,525 posts, read 2,510,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Best Buy doesn't have salespeople. They have slightly trained clerks. And it may come as a surprise that there are other places to shop which are far more helpful than stores like BB could ever be.

I agree, though, that TVs in showrooms aren't adjusted for home use. The reason is that most people have been conditioned to think brighter is better, so without someone to correct that misconception and explain how a TV should look (at a more advanced AV retailer, for example), brightness sells TVs. Even in showrooms that have darker TV viewing areas, the TVs are usually too bright.

My neighbor is a good example of this common shopper type. She has a huge LCD, much too big for the room, and it's so bright I can't stand to watch it for more than a few minutes. But she has commented several times on how dark my calibrated Panasonic plasma is. Even after some explanation and watching it for a while, she still thinks there is something wrong with mine.

Then again, she thinks Bose is the pinnacle of audio quality. That's another mindset that comes from years of conditioning.
I got lucky and caught one of the semi-decent sales guys at a best buy when we bought our new TV. I always, ALWAYS bring a TV home first to test the image quality off my blu-ray player...store signals aren't all that great. That said, we'd bought 2 different TVs based on price and wound up not liking them, so we decided the hell with it and would get whatever TV we actually "liked". Talked to a sales guy, he actually mentioned plasma as an option, then quickly turned it down when heat would be a slight issue, but more importantly, the TV would be almost directly across from my sliding glass door. We wound up with a 46" Samsung 7 series. Not the cheapest, but def nice. Had to tune it a bit when I got home, including dropping the brightness and contrast.

I know a few people who are dedicated to Bose. I'll keep my Onkyo surround sound system and Polk outdoor speakers, thanks

Last edited by ReblTeen84; 10-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics