U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times

Advertisements

Is it me or do those cheap headphones that you buy for 10 bucks at CVS break all the time? I am thinking that you get what you pay for, obviously. I know that I may not get the best sound, but the way they have been breaking on me...it just seems too often even for a cheap pair. Has anyone else in here have had the same problem?

If so, how much should I expect to spend for a cheap pair that will last? 25? 50? Or would I have to go higher? I do not need special 500 dollar headphones, with near perfect sound and fancy options. I just need something for my computer activities when my mother is sleeping at night. However, I do want something that will last at least a year! Any suggestions?

Note: I am referring to "headphones" that plug into the common 1/4 inch jacks. They are connected over the head and cover the outer ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,183,751 times
Look for skull candy on sale at Target, usually under 6 dollars, They last about a year.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Go to Radioshack.com and you can get a decent set for about $20. If you want quality headphones then go to Sam Ash.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Don't buy cheap.
Buy decent quality.
Fro example: Sennheiser USA - Around the Ear Headphone

Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM

285 posts, read 722,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Don't buy cheap.
Buy decent quality.
Fro example: Sennheiser USA - Around the Ear Headphone
I bought a refurb pair of Sennheisers and after about 3 or 4 years, they still work great. Before that, I had Skullcandy and one side went out after about a year.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Is it me or do those cheap headphones that you buy for 10 bucks at CVS break all the time? I am thinking that you get what you pay for, obviously. I know that I may not get the best sound, but the way they have been breaking on me...it just seems too often even for a cheap pair. Has anyone else in here have had the same problem?

If so, how much should I expect to spend for a cheap pair that will last? 25? 50? Or would I have to go higher? I do not need special 500 dollar headphones, with near perfect sound and fancy options. I just need something for my computer activities when my mother is sleeping at night. However, I do want something that will last at least a year! Any suggestions?

Note: I am referring to "headphones" that plug into the common 1/4 inch jacks. They are connected over the head and cover the outer ear.
Have a look at Sony headphones. I bought this pair finding them to be very nice for everyday use without being too heavy.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones: Electronics

Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 AM

113 posts, read 129,639 times
I would recommend Grado's. Their cheapest model (sr 60i) is spectacular sounding and are actually manufactured in Brooklyn, NY. They do have a real cheap model that is made in China and are designed mainly for ipod use due to their size. But the SR60i's are only $70-80 and they will pull into another realm when listening to your favorite tunes. They're easy to drive and have amazing detail at low levels which is good for preserving your hearing.

The only issue you might have is that they're totally open so anyone around you can hear what you're listening to.
So if you're listening to Satan's Helpers Greatest Hits and don't want anyone to know you may have to either turn them down or listen to something else.

You'll love 'em; trust me.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
I bought a refurb pair of Sennheisers and after about 3 or 4 years, they still work great. Before that, I had Skullcandy and one side went out after about a year.
I've always liked the Sennheisers. They're fairly light for a full sized headphone and don't have the sweat factor that some do. Plus many of their parts can be ordered as replacements, instead of junking the whole headset if something breaks. At least that's how it was about 10 years ago when I was selling them.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
I've got a half-dozen pairs of el-cheapo GE headphones that I picked up at Kroger for a little over $2.

I bought the first pair because our new (at the time) kittens had chewed through the wire on a pair of Sony MDR-V6s (not so cheap), so I wanted inexpensive headphones to use until they outgrew that phase, but I liked that first pair so much that I bought five more. Low base response, but you can make up for it by boosting the base. The last four pairs I purchased were on closeout for $1.15 each, I think.

If you're willing to spend a little more ($70), I'd recommend the MDR-V6, actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Mo...ds=MDR-V6+Sony

A little bright for some, but they aren't bad for the price. Do *NOT* get the MDR-V600 model ... those are horribly base-heavy. I have three or four pairs of MDR-V6 phones, and the two oldest ones (including the ones the kittens chomped which have since been repaired) are at least 15 years old.

Do a Google search on the MDR-V6 and you'll see a lot of discussion about them as well as opinions, etc. I fact, the comments I see on Amazon are pretty much dead on. They were pretty popular with DJs and other sound folks for years, and you see them a lot in movies, etc., and I still come back to them as my main phones even though I've tried a fair number of more expensive sets. Headphone quality is obviously a very subjective issue...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-04-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM

629 posts, read 1,033,616 times
If anyone's in the market for wireless headphones, the best price/performance combo I have found are Logitech's G380 (USB). Their range is all over my two-story house. They also have a wired version that is just as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics