U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times

Advertisements

I'm cancelling my expensive cable TV service ($109/mo) in Tulsa and getting a Tivo and an antenna for local channels. I have a smart TV and I'll probably sign up for Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Instant Video. Has anyone here done this yet? I'm confused about whether I need a Push2TV, Roku, or Playon or ??? to hopefully get CNN, Food Network, etc. to stream to TV from my PC. I don't watch ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM

629 posts, read 1,033,616 times
Welcome to the world of "cord cutters"!

As far as antenna/set top box for free-to-air digital, the clear favorite is Channel Master:
Home

For a constantly updated spreadsheet comparing all internet connected boxes (Roku, Boxee, etc), check out this Google doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CMWSqM8P#gid=0

And this is a great show about cord cutting that has 96 episodes already, "Frame Rate":
Frame Rate 96 | TWiT.TV

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
before you buy that tivo, i'll tell you what i know.

i've been using Windows Media Center for about 3, maybe 4 years now with over-the-air TV. I bought a couple of tuners off ebay for less than $40 each.
---> Windows Media Center - Microsoft Windows

the tuner I use is the Hauppage HVR 1600; it tunes ATSC, NTSC, clear QAM, and FM radio. --> WinTV-HVR-1600 Product Description

there are two versions of this card; one of them doesn't tune FM radio, if that matters to you. Go to their home page and you can see what other tuners they have.

Hauppauge also makes USB tuners, and a dual-tuner for PCI-e slots.

There is also a network-based tuner called the Silicondust HD Homerun. You just connect it to your antenna and plug it into your network. ----> Welcome to SiliconDust | SiliconDust – HDHomeRun®

There are two ways to use media center; either hook a PC directly to your TV, or what I do is use an extender (xbox 360). I have an xbox at each TV, and can watch any live or recorded programs with it. Also, all of my music and movies are ripped on the PC, and I can watch those through the xbox as well. I access hulu, netflix, espn, etc. . . through the xbox.

There is a new extender that is supposed to be on sale in november or december called the Ceton Echo. --> Ceton Echo - Ceton

The ceton includes a web browser and is supposed to have streaming video partners (netflix, etc. . but not official yet). The next update for xbox is also supposed to have a web browser that will be controlled by xbox smartglass.

The other benefit of the Ceton is it has MOCA networking built-in (wired networking over your existing coax cable; you should never try to stream ATSC HD video wirelessly; you will have nothing but problems).

If you already have a windows 7 or vista (or even win 8), this is a very cheap solution. Buy a used tuner, and you can even use an old xbox 360 to watch your shows. Only downside is that you need wired networking; you can connect wirelessly, but like i said, its not going to work well for you.

You can install up to four tuners in a single PC, but that limit can be increased to eight, although that's probably more than you'll need for OTA.

Also, various apps are available for smart phones that allow you to set your recording schedule, stream tv, movies and music to your phone, etc. . . . .

Next, just yesterday i read about a new product from boxee on engadget. Its a boxee box (basically a streaming video player and networked media player) with an ATSC tuner. This thing looks very interesting. ----> Boxee - Boxee Live TV

I have seen other ATSC DVR's on the web, one from channel master (originally sold under the Echostar [dish network] brand), but it was like $500 for each unit.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
What I ended up doing.
I still use the regular TV antenna that could receive the off the air signals but needed a box to convert to digital.
I then bought (Costco !) a 27 inch flat screen LED TV that I now also use as my second monitor on my laptop.
Then found a 100 dollar DVD player (Costco !) that can show 3D DVD and is a *smart one* !
This means that I did NOT have to by a special box to receive Netflix.
Some day I might buy a 3D capable TV ...

The new flat screen has a built in receiver for the HD channels, so no converter box required.
I did make sure that the TV was a 1080 and 120 Hz one. Most of them are 60 Hz units.
I also bought a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can operate the laptop from somewhere else.

I actually dropped my cost 70 dollars/month, by going from cable to Netflix and off the air TV.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 AM

This looks like the box to watch. Boxee have teamed up with D-Link to produce another hardware box - this time it has a built in live TV tuner and DVR functionality!

Here is the leaked first look:

Leaked Boxee TV adds HDTV antenna and DVR to let you ditch cable for good | The Verge

Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c
I'm cancelling my expensive cable TV service ($109/mo) in Tulsa and getting a Tivo and an antenna for local channels. I have a smart TV and I'll probably sign up for Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Instant Video. Has anyone here done this yet? I'm confused about whether I need a Push2TV, Roku, or Playon or ??? to hopefully get CNN, Food Network, etc. to stream to TV from my PC. I don't watch ESPN.
Excellent move Bill! I am convinced that once my DirecTV agreement is up, I too, will join the ranks of the cable cutters! And it appears that there is an ever growing population of cable and satellite cutters, which amazes me that these companies still adhere to their horrible business practices of gouging their customers once the promotions end. I'm glad there are people like you who are sticking it to these companies and refusing the be subjected to their high tv prices. Now if we could receive internet service the same way as OTA TV, that would really stick it to them...LOL!

I have had experience with Playon. It's OK, but I had a few problems with it. You really need a good, fast, internet connection to run it at highest quality, and I found that several "channels" didn't work properly on my PS3. I eventually stopped using it, but it's been awhile, so they may have improved the quality. With Hulu Plus, I used it for little while as well, and quite frankly, it was horrible. Now, I had a pretty fast internet connection and could play back HD video from other companies, but HD through Hulu plus kept freezing up on me and I'd often have to revert back to SD mode to watch a show. So, I felt like I wasn't getting everything out of Hulu Plus that I felt I should have gotten, so I dropped the service. Again, it's been awhile, and they may have improved the application now - keep in mind I was using it on PS3, so it's quite possible that if it's a standard internet app on your TV, it may work better with that. I LOVED Amazon Instant Video and being a Prime member I get a lot of video free through them, so it's great. They have a few things for free to watch that Netflix doesn't have, so it's great.

Now, I'll admit, I'm a BIG sports fan, so the hardest thing for me to do in the process of giving up cable or satellite is to give up ESPN and the NFL Network - especially now since the NFL Network shows games on Thursday nights, and ESPN having Monday Night Football. I guess I could head up the road a few miles to the sports bar that's five minutes away, but that would get expensive after awhile, so I'm hoping in the near future, there will be some way of being able to watch ESPN or NFL content without having to go through the cable or satellite companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420
This looks like the box to watch. Boxee have teamed up with D-Link to produce another hardware box - this time it has a built in live TV tuner and DVR functionality!

Here is the leaked first look:

Leaked Boxee TV adds HDTV antenna and DVR to let you ditch cable for good | The Verge
Topaz, I was listening to a tech podcast just yesterday and they were talking about this Boxee system, and I can't wait for it to come out. If it delivers on what they hope it will do, this will definitely be in my home!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

Now, I'll admit, I'm a BIG sports fan, so the hardest thing for me to do in the process of giving up cable or satellite is to give up ESPN and the NFL Network - especially now since the NFL Network shows games on Thursday nights, and ESPN having Monday Night Football. I guess I could head up the road a few miles to the sports bar that's five minutes away, but that would get expensive after awhile, so I'm hoping in the near future, there will be some way of being able to watch ESPN or NFL content without having to go through the cable or satellite companies.

That was the hardest part for me as well.

I used to watch almost every televised braves game, and had to give that up when i dropped my cable subscription.

But you do get a surprising amount of sports with OTA.

Another cool feature with Windows Media Center is the sports hub; it searches your guide for every sports event that is coming up within the next two weeks.

I get at least 4 NFL games on sunday, sometimes as many as 6.

Plus many college football games. With ESPN on the xbox 360, there are dozens of games available to watch. Just not much MLB though. Maybe 3-4 a week. And the Fox sunday game.

I did read somewhere recently that ESPN was considering a live streaming channel on xbox 360, plus adding MNF. We'll see what happens.

I'd pay for the MLB pass on xbox if they didn't have local blackout restrictions.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 AM

275 posts, read 353,655 times
We got a Roku box for.xmas, but i haven't set it up yet. is it easy to set up?
i don't have a digital tv in our bedroom, just an analog one but it can record vhs tapes so that's a good thing!
Thing of it is, our cable co. is a ripoff too, and they are telling us we'll be charged $50 for internet service, not the $25 we've been charged since we set up with by next month, which is tomorrow.
Supposedly it is high speed internet, but it really isn't speedy at all!
if you had low speed internet cud u still use a wifi device?

this is a helpful thread, glad we found it!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
We got a Roku box for.xmas, but i haven't set it up yet. is it easy to set up?
i don't have a digital tv in our bedroom, just an analog one but it can record vhs tapes so that's a good thing!
Thing of it is, our cable co. is a ripoff too, and they are telling us we'll be charged $50 for internet service, not the $25 we've been charged since we set up with by next month, which is tomorrow.
Supposedly it is high speed internet, but it really isn't speedy at all!
if you had low speed internet cud u still use a wifi device?

this is a helpful thread, glad we found it!
Just got a Roku myself - it's wonderful!

Most levels of broadband should be just fine for Roku - the great thing is it adapts to your internet speed, so it will give you the best stream it can. I have the second cheapest Roku (the Roku-HD for $58) and I get 720p streams off of my internet which is a 15mpbs download connection (Cox Cable $50/mo). If you have a slower internet connection (less than 5mbps) you may end up with a stream that looks like 360p YouTube video

Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
For the Cord Cutters, don't forget about CRACKLE. I am becoming a huge fan. Both the Roku and the Boxee support it.
It's like Netflix and Amazon, but it's free. You have to watch commercials, though.
I think I am going to cut the cord next spring.
Get a Roku, I already have Amazon Prime which is almost as good as Netflix but about $2.00 cheaper a month. +Crackle. Add Hulu PLUS for Network TV. Add Antenna for Browns games and local news.
Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics