Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 AM

457 posts, read 978,647 times

Advertisements

I just can't drop the $300 for the Bose 15 or Bose comfort 3. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to be used only while on a plane. The headphones will not be used for listening to alot of music. Well, maybe some 60s or Sinatra stuff. They will be mostly used for watching dvds on my portable dvd player. With this said, Dr. Dre's would not be an option if I did have the extra money.

I was told the Sony MDR-NC60 has good noise cancelling while Audio Technica ATHANC7 has good sound quality. Appreciate any info on the above brands or other suggestions.

I may be partial to over the ears rather than around the ears. I have a pair of cheap Maxell over the ear headphones that have a pretty good noise cancellation. Not the best, but allows listening to movies without the jet engine distraction. After a 4 hour flight, my outer ears hurt from having these things on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,389 times
I have found that the cheapest "noise canceling" headphones are completely in-the-canal ear buds. If you don't find them uncomfortable, that is. I got a pair of $20 Skullcandy ear buds and the seal is so tight I couldn't hear the plane at all. And it was a loud 747.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM

457 posts, read 978,647 times
Just wanted to confirm my above post. My cheap Maxell headphones are "over the ear" which hurt after a 4 hour flight. My ears don't hurt on the inside, they hurt on top/behind the ears. I may be interested in an "on the ear" type headphone.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
I have found that the cheapest "noise canceling" headphones are completely in-the-canal ear buds. If you don't find them uncomfortable, that is. I got a pair of $20 Skullcandy ear buds and the seal is so tight I couldn't hear the plane at all. And it was a loud 747.

Good luck!
big fan of Skull Candy buds. Target is always running sales on these and I have bought them for under 5 dollars... Perfect when travelling (and you don't get too upset when you leave them at the pool or beach)

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I've found decent earbuds are near equal to the qc-15's at a fraction of the price, and more comfortable. It depends if you can stand having them in your ear.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
I just can't drop the $300 for the Bose 15 or Bose comfort 3. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to be used only while on a plane. The headphones will not be used for listening to alot of music. Well, maybe some 60s or Sinatra stuff. They will be mostly used for watching dvds on my portable dvd player. With this said, Dr. Dre's would not be an option if I did have the extra money.

I was told the Sony MDR-NC60 has good noise cancelling while Audio Technica ATHANC7 has good sound quality. Appreciate any info on the above brands or other suggestions.

I may be partial to over the ears rather than around the ears. I have a pair of cheap Maxell over the ear headphones that have a pretty good noise cancellation. Not the best, but allows listening to movies without the jet engine distraction. After a 4 hour flight, my outer ears hurt from having these things on.
I have a pair NIB of Noise Canceling headphones that were a gift from a friend. They didn't know at the time of the gift I was being fitted for hearing aids! Can't use'm so they are for sale. PM me if interested.

Amazon.com: Marley Destiny Collection TTR TrenchTown Rock Active Noise Isolating Over Ear Headphones with Mic and One Button Controller EM-DH001-IO: Electronics

Note: I'm not sure that this post is allowed here so if it violates TOS move or delete please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics