U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 55,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
vinicent...

Take a close look at that other modem/router you have, See if one of the standard CAT-V interface jacks is identified as a primary. If so, it may bypass the coaxial interface and operate straight off the CAT-V output from your CB connection.
Any chance You could call me? I don't quite understand what you are saying and you seem to know a lot.

My roommates aren't happy with me because I promised them a super fast internet, so I want to get this fixed asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Hi vinicent,

My name is Katie and I work for Cincinnati Bell. We're happy to look into your connection for you. Please email me your account # and a convenient contact # to cincinnati.bell@fuse.net

Thanks,

Katie
Cincinnati Bell
Social Media Team

Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,067,158 times
If you look at that Westell router CB provided you will notice it has 4 hardwired ports adjacent to each other. The style of jack which plugs into these is called an RJ45 jack. The cable itself is called a Cat-V cable. These are standard Ethernet connections.

Slightly offset is another port which uses the same style jack. This is labeled WAN which stands for Wide Area Network. It should be wired via a short cable to the wall jack CB installed. That is the primary connection to the router connecting it to the network. I assume you have the Fioptics service since that is the only offering with the speeds you quoted. It uses a control panel mounted somewhere in the house and has the actual fiber optic cable connected to it. Internal to the control panel is the fiber optic modem which converts the optical signal to the signals distributed through the house. One of these is the standard Ethenet signal used for the internet. They then likely installed a Cat-V Ethernet cable from the control panel to near where your router is located and installed a wall jack.

BTW, did CB leave you a CD with the manual and configuration instructions for the router? If not I would complain. I did some searching for information on the Westell 7501 router and saw several references saying it was a good router but not for a novice as it has many setup and configuration parameters. Your problems may be simply due to configuration. You are entitled to the manual and setup information as it is necessary to configure a secure wireless network, etc. They have no business withholding such information from you. So I would start there. Have you tried complaining to CB? I have heard various conflicting statements concerning their service. But I would complain to them you are just not receiving the level of service promised and are considering going back to TWC.

Recognize that TWC only has fiber optic service installed in a few areas, mainly newer subdivisions. The majority is the older copper coaxial cable. For internet they run just another branch of the cable off of a splitter (junction box) to usually an interior wall. There they install a coaxial cable connection plate and then a short run of coaxial cable to a cable modem. The purpose of the cable modem is to convert the cable signal into the standard Ethernet Cat-V signal. This standardly has only one network RJ45 jack connection. Since I wanted 2 PCs and a shared printer to be connected I bought my own router and plugged it in. It also has wireless capabilities. Since I already had configuration software installed on one of my PCs and the router had performed flawlessly I switched out the CB provided router immediately. I still have the CB router in a closet, but frankly cannot recall ever receiving an installation disk.

From what you described, you had a combination cable modem and router unit from TWC. Knowing TWC this was not free. I am not familiar with this but have no doubt they exist.

Over the time I had TWC, I had several cable modem failures. Just suddenly no internet connection. I had learned over time to unplug the power from everything and plug it back in - the master reset. When this would not work I would run the Ethernet output from the cable modem directly to my PC. When this would not work, I would disconnect the cable modem, get in my car, and take it down to the TWC store in Tri-County Mall. Never had a problem, they would verify my account and give me a new modem. Same thing with TV settop box failures. Why not? I am spending my time and expense to do their job. Go back home, plug the new modem in, and viola internet again. Except for one time when I had dug out some brush from around our chimney. Internet dead. Did the cable modem replacement bit, internet still dead. Oh-oh, a lightbub goes off. Trace the internet cable lead from the back of the house, around the side, and the chimney. Sure enough, I had cut the cable lead right in half with a spade. Off to the hardware store to get a coaxial splicer. Splice the cable, rap it real well in vinyl electrical tape, and bury it back in the ground. Internet worked fine. Am I going to tell TWC I turned in a working cable modem for a replacement? Hell No, I have paid them enough money over the years. And if they had done a better job at burying that cable instead of right next to my bushes the problem would not have existed.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,067,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Bell View Post
Hi vinicent,

My name is Katie and I work for Cincinnati Bell. We're happy to look into your connection for you. Please email me your account # and a convenient contact # to cincinnati.bell@fuse.net

Thanks,

Katie
Cincinnati Bell
Social Media Team
Contact this person. They have every incentive to make you a happy customer, particularly if you cancel right out of the box, go back to TWC, and publicize it. Give them a chance.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
The Westell 7501 is a B/G only router. There are a few things to try to try to increase speed as you should be able to get more than 3 Mbps on wireless. 1. Make sure your wireless drivers are up to date on your wireless adapter. 2. Try setting the 7501 to G only instead of B/G and make sure only G devices are connected. See if that helps. 3. Try the different wireless channels (1-11) in case you are experiencing interference issues after the channel has already been auto-negotiated. Try different levels of encryption, (Open, WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK). Use TKIP and AES then try AES only. See if any combination allows for any better speeds. These are just a few things to try before moving to an N device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics