U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 55,015 times

Advertisements

I just upgraded to a 30 m/b download 5 upload internet speed with Cincinnati Bell, I used to have 10 mb Download with TWC. I am getting slower speeds when I run speed tests with Bell then I did with TWC even though it should be 3 times faster.

When I am plugged in with an ethernet I get 29 download speed and 10 upload. However When I am in wireless with one other person connected wirelessly I am getting 3 download and .6 upload. I cannot play xbox live without severe lag either, and my my roommates and I are getting very frustrated.

I have a westell 7501 wireless router/modem... and I am a floor above the router in an older house.

What should I do? Buy a new wireless router/modem? Or would a booster work?

I would prefer to buy a booster.. If I buy a booster what kind should I get for the westell 7501 router/modem?

Or should I switch back to TWC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 14,067,158 times
Is this the same router you used with TWC?

When I switched to Cincinnati Bell I did not like the router they supplied. I went back to the Belken router I had purchased and used with TWC. It is a combination hardwired and wireless.

Two weeks ago we had a Skype lookup from a downstairs room via the wireless to a daughter in Hawaii. We were on almost an hour and it appeared to perform well.

I have had Cincinnati Bell for about a year now and I will say I do not believe the speed is what they advertise, particularly on a consistent basis. TWC may not have been as fast but I feel they were more consistent. I have the whole Fioptics package, internet, TV - 3 sets, and digital phone. I just do not want to go through the hassle of switching back to TWC

Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,585,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

I have the whole Fioptics package, internet, TV - 3 sets, and digital phone. I just do not want to go through the hassle of switching back to TWC
What TV service do you use? DirectTV?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,209,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinicent View Post
I just upgraded to a 30 m/b download 5 upload internet speed with Cincinnati Bell, I used to have 10 mb Download with TWC. I am getting slower speeds when I run speed tests with Bell then I did with TWC even though it should be 3 times faster.

When I am plugged in with an ethernet I get 29 download speed and 10 upload. However When I am in wireless with one other person connected wirelessly I am getting 3 download and .6 upload. I cannot play xbox live without severe lag either, and my my roommates and I are getting very frustrated.

I have a westell 7501 wireless router/modem... and I am a floor above the router in an older house.

What should I do? Buy a new wireless router/modem? Or would a booster work?

I would prefer to buy a booster.. If I buy a booster what kind should I get for the westell 7501 router/modem?

Or should I switch back to TWC?
Hi vinicent--

I'd look into a new router. Check out Micro Center for a better one. Sounds like they went cheap on the router.

That said, wireless internet is almost always a terrible sham - whatever speed and range they claim it has, divide it by five to find the actual speed and range.

I've got a similar issue with my wireless router - I get 25mbps when plugged in, and 9-10 tops from wireless.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
What TV service do you use? DirectTV?
No, I use CB Foptics. As a package it is OK. But a warning, they will quote you a 1-year come-on price but not necessarily make that obvious.

TWC had our area here in Mason as an exclusive for many years, I believe at least 20. We paid through the nose for their services, but the satellite TV did not interest me since they were uni-directional. To achieve any bi-directional they had to involve a telephone. I thought this sucked.

When Cincinnati Bell decided to install their Fioptics service in our area, I could see the crews. I could also see the sales people they flooded the area with. Many of my neighbors decided to switch from TWC, as they were fed up with all of the years we were being high-jacked.

The CB salesman came to visit me. I listened and said come back tomorrow and I will make a decision. About 20 minutes after he left here comes a TWC salesman who said he would match CB's rates if I agreed to a 2-year contract. I thought OK and agreed. The next day the CB rep came back and said he would further undercut TWC rates, which he did. So I gave them an order to convert me to CB.

First thing was TWC sent me a cancellation bill. This really pissed me off after being a customer of theirs for so many years. I called and complained to no avail, they said I had signed a 2-year contract subject to a cancellation fee. Like the milktoast I am I just went ahead and paid the bill.

After one year, we suddenly get a bill from CB reflecting about a 40% increase. My wife blew a gasket. I contact them to be informed our 1-year trial period billing had expired and we would now receive regular billing. I then blew a gasket and asked when I had been informed it was a trial period billing.
Well Mr. Brill we are sure our representative made that clear. Of course I responded back BS the only thing your representative was interested in was signing the account and collecting their commisson, these people were not actually CB employees but a separate company you had hired to sign up customers.

So that afternoon I contacted TWC and arranged for them to re-install me. Since I have digital phone which requires a formal request to transfer the phone number, about 3-days later I get a contact from CB. What is the problem Mr. Brill? Very simple, your people lied to me. After some back and forth, we agree to just continue the original rates and I will cancel the TWC re-install which I did. I fully expect, and my wife and I have it on our calendar for next spring when CB will again try to contend we have to go to regular billing. I am prepared to go through the whole scenario again. This much I know, the cost of installation, materials plus labor is such that anything they do to keep me a customer is in their favor.

I am just saying, not just speed, performance, etc. what just exactly have you signed up for?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,209,270 times
Quote:
After one year, we suddenly get a bill from CB reflecting about a 40% increase. My wife blew a gasket. I contact them to be informed our 1-year trial period billing had expired and we would now receive regular billing. I then blew a gasket and asked when I had been informed it was a trial period billing.
Well Mr. Brill we are sure our representative made that clear. Of course I responded back BS the only thing your representative was interested in was signing the account and collecting their commisson, these people were not actually CB employees but a separate company you had hired to sign up customers.

So that afternoon I contacted TWC and arranged for them to re-install me. Since I have digital phone which requires a formal request to transfer the phone number, about 3-days later I get a contact from CB. What is the problem Mr. Brill? Very simple, your people lied to me. After some back and forth, we agree to just continue the original rates and I will cancel the TWC re-install which I did. I fully expect, and my wife and I have it on our calendar for next spring when CB will again try to contend we have to go to regular billing. I am prepared to go through the whole scenario again. This much I know, the cost of installation, materials plus labor is such that anything they do to keep me a customer is in their favor.
Hi kjbrill--

We're probably taking a sideways veer into ranting about cable/phone companies but I can pretty safely in my experience that both Cincinnati Bell and Time Warner are equally responsible for me never, ever signing up any auto-pay feature, ever. Regardless of who it is. Within three months of moving out of my Dad's place I had been converted from "auto-pay" to "I'm going to look at every damn bill before I send you a dime."

In those three months, both CB and TWC had over-billed me twice, and I had to get on the horn after the fact and have the charges reversed. I ended up cancelling CB shortly thereafter, and have had to call TWC twice in the past year - all for the same issue.

The recent chicanery was TWC adding a $3.95 "modem rental fee" to their service. Which is just a cockamamie way of them trying to get around their $29.95 internet/phone deal, which they guaranteed for twelve months. Because let's face it, it's just a plain ole price increase. And then my 12 month period is up in about six weeks, so I can guarantee that the price would go up yet again by $10-20 a month.

Meaning that within three months my price would jump from $30 to $45-55. No, thanks. Got on the horn and chewed them out, and got them to "credit" my account for the amount of the modem rental fee for six months... so I've bought some time. And in December when my 12 month period is up, I expect to get on the horn yet again. A threat to change companies works wonders. Because I'm paying something like $15 a month for internet and land line phone each.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:

When I switched to Cincinnati Bell I did not like the router they supplied. I went back to the Belken router I had purchased and used with TWC. It is a combination hardwired and wireless.

Two weeks ago we had a Skype lookup from a downstairs room via the wireless to a daughter in Hawaii. We were on almost an hour and it appeared to perform well.

I have had Cincinnati Bell for about a year now and I will say I do not believe the speed is what they advertise, particularly on a consistent basis. TWC may not have been as fast but I feel they were more consistent. I have the whole Fioptics package, internet, TV - 3 sets, and digital phone. I just do not want to go through the hassle of switching back to TWC
No it is a new router. Can I use my old router? The new router has a ethernet wire from the wall that plugs into a wan port.. the old TWC router had a coaxial plug in.. so I don't know how that would work

Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM

I actually got faster speeds wirlessly with TWC 10meg download compared to Bells 30 Meg download... I'm considering just switching to TWC and taking a hit for the extreme package.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM

I do not quite understand. The TWC hookup should have involved a cable modem to convert the cable signal to a standard Ethernet LAN signal. This would typically have only a single standard Ethernet jack. The input to the modem would be of course coaxial for TWC and the output a standard CAT-V Ethernet cable.

Did you pay TWC extra for a combination cable modem and router, including wireless? I believe they only rented these which meant you were paying each month. As you have determined the coaxial connection is not compatible.

CB does not use a modem for the house wired internet. Their interface panel, wherever it is mounted internally contains the optical fiber modem interface. It is multi-functional and converts the fiber optics signal to the standard coaxial TV signal to feed the settop boxes. For the TVs they just plugged into the existing cabling in my house which was used by TWC. It also has the ability to convert the fiber optics signal to a standard CAT-V Ethernet signal for internet. CB ran a standard CAT-V Ethernet cable from the basement where our interface panel is installed to the second floor where our computers are located. It also has the ability to convert the fiber optics signal to the standard telephon analog signal to feed your house using the existing wiring. Just plug on anywhere a telephone line exists, disconnect the old outside feed, and you are in business.

CB also supplied me with a Westell 7501 router, which I quickly decided was a piece of crap. I just went to the closet where I had tossed it to confirm the model number.

Because I am a cheapskate I had purchased my own router when using TWC and just plugged it into their modem. I was not about to rent a router from TWC at their rediculous rental rates. So I just unplugged the Westell and plugged in my Belken. Everything works fine. I like the Belken since it comes with software for the PC to manage it. You can connect to the router from the PC and then establish connect passwords, etc. to keep every Tom, Dick, and Harry from stealing you bandwidth.

Check around to see whether any of your friends have a standard router they are willing to let you try out in place of the Westell without spending more money. There are a variety of routers available on the market which are decent performers at low prices. As stated I have a Belken and as a cheapskate I would not bought it if highly expensive.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM

vinicent...

Take a close look at that other modem/router you have, See if one of the standard CAT-V interface jacks is identified as a primary. If so, it may bypass the coaxial interface and operate straight off the CAT-V output from your CB connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics