U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,226,267 times
Reputation: 1231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That Emerson at Walmart is the lowest of the low end. There is much more than resolution to consider when buying a TV. If there wasn't, no one would buy a real name brand. I have no doubt that the picture quality on that Emerson is disappointing.

As I've said many times, a 1080P TV will have features and performance enhancements that a 720P TV does not. Resolution isn't the only reason to go with a 1080P TV. And the argument of limited 1080P content isn't logical. There will be more, 1080P makes pretty much any source look better, and why buy something that is already behind in technology?
Thanks for your comment, you've made me doubt the purchase but I've a couple questions.

Even though I'm looking for a great bargain, the last thing I want is to shell out any cash and not be pleased with the picture quality (would then probably upgrade in a year or 2).
Any suggestions for good bargains out there? One nice thing about this Emerson is that Walmart is guaranteeing it to be in stock for an hour, whereas other tvs in other stores are "door busters."


Everything I've read is that there is no discernible advantage for 1080p for a 32 inch screen. You disagree with that? What performance enhancements are you talking about exactly?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Reputation: 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Thanks for your comment, you've made me doubt the purchase but I've a couple questions.

Even though I'm looking for a great bargain, the last thing I want is to shell out any cash and not be pleased with the picture quality (would then probably upgrade in a year or 2).
Any suggestions for good bargains out there? One nice thing about this Emerson is that Walmart is guaranteeing it to be in stock for an hour, whereas other tvs in other stores are "door busters."


Everything I've read is that there is no discernible advantage for 1080p for a 32 inch screen. You disagree with that? What performance enhancements are you talking about exactly?

Thanks.
The usual recommendations - Samsung, Sony, some Sharp models. Some people like VIZIO and LG although I don't feel they are top tier sets. But you won't see these for $150, and I have no idea what their stock will be on BF. I always suggest that people look at price protection policies from stores and see if that means they don't have to buy on BF to get a certain price. Also, you don't often see the better options at BF blowout prices, because the idea is for the "sales" people to get you to buy a better model, and/or something else. The store doesn't benefit when you buy the BF sale items by themselves.

32" is certainly the point at which resolution nearly becomes a non-issue. Look at the info lists of the various TVs and you'll see other circuits that refine the picture, give you more control over adjustments, better useful contrast, other inputs/outputs, better audio, ethernet connection, card readers, etc. There are many differences beyond resolution. I bought a 720P plasma 4 years ago and now I wish I'd stepped to a 1080P that had audio outputs. Oh well.

It's not a good deal if you don't like it. If you care about picture quality, you won't like the Emerson when compared to known high quality TVs. I admit that I'm a bit of a video snob in that I don't understand how people can enjoy watching some of the lesser TVs. Colors are wrecked, black levels are terrible, nothing looks real, or too real. Ugh.

You're welcome, BTW. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
 
28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37286
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
$148 in 2012 prices or $16.95 in 1952 dollars when color TVs first came out.
Hmmmm.... 16" tube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,226,267 times
Reputation: 1231
What's the scoop on Coby?


Here's an ad for their 39 inch lcd for $250:
Amazon.com: Coby TFTV3925 39-Inch 1080p 60HZ LCD HDTV (Black): Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Reputation: 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
What's the scoop on Coby?


Here's an ad for their 39 inch lcd for $250:
Amazon.com: Coby TFTV3925 39-Inch 1080p 60HZ LCD HDTV (Black): Electronics
I'd buy an Emerson before I bought a Coby. Seriously though, they're just another (Chinese) manufacturer of low end merchandise. If your budget only extends this far, then so be it. Features aside, I would buy the entry level of a recognized brand name before I bought an upper model of an off brand, for picture quality alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Jenks, Oklahoma
620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
What's the scoop on Coby?
Here's an ad for their 39 inch lcd for $250:
Amazon.com: Coby TFTV3925 39-Inch 1080p 60HZ LCD HDTV (Black): Electronics
The best sources for opinions on specific products are the reviews by purchasers on websites that are selling the product you're considering. Look at Amazon, Newegg, Circuit City, Best Buy, B&H Photo, Sams Club, etc. The opinions on here are of limited value really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8060
Totally agree with VmaxNC re: Emerson and Coby. I've never seen a Coby product I would consider. Garbage.

Everything I have ever read about 1080 v 720 said what you said DestinedtoDave. 42 or less, you won't see a difference in 1080 v 720. So I got a Panasonic 42" 720p TV. I love it and am very pleased that I bought it.

I hate the craziness that is Black Friday. People going shoppping to save $30 on a TV or stand in line for 1 of 3 dishwashers that is $100 less. And of the people I know that go, they NEVER get the advertised deal. They always wind up settling for something else. Hello, bait and switch.

Here you go, man. No 2 hour window to get it. Thank me later.

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-L32C5 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD TV: Televisions & Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Reputation: 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
The best sources for opinions on specific products are the reviews by purchasers on websites that are selling the product you're considering. Look at Amazon, Newegg, Circuit City, Best Buy, B&H Photo, Sams Club, etc. The opinions on here are of limited value really.
Limited value? How did you come to that conclusion?

To get anything out of buyer reviews one must sort through the trash. If you want proof at how useless many reviews are, just look at the reviews that come up on that Coby TV:

*The first one says the display, sound (sucks), and off angle viewing are all bad, but gives the TV 4 out of 5 stars. Then he goes on to say how color and black levels are good. He can't even decide for himself how well the TV performs.

* The review next to that one gave the TV 1 star because it was damaged in shipping. Yeah, that's an excellent evaluation of the product.

*The next review compares the Coby model to her old "dinosaur TV", and is thrilled. Well, to a person who has lived on rice and cabbage his whole life, a $5 TV dinner is a 4 star meal. To a person who has only done math with paper and pencil, a 99 cent calculator seems like a supercomputer.

*Moving on to the next review we see that Mary says "The screen is not perfect" and "Its sound system seems to be ok, too." but gives the TV 5 stars. If the picture and sound were amazing, I guess Mary would have to borrow some stars out of another review.

*The next review states that "I bet this is actually a good TV if you find one that works, and I bet one that works is good enough for a 5 star rating, which is why I gave it one." So this person has one that doesn't even work, and "is betting" that it's still worth 5 stars.

Do you still think that buyer reviews are so great, after going 0 for 5 here?

All 5 reviews were total busts, and did nothing to give a reader any idea of what the TV is like relative to its peers. When broken down, what useful info can be gleaned from any of these reviews? Most people are not qualified to give a review of most products, because they have no reference or base knowledge from which to speak. These are great examples of some of the worst "reviews" I've seen.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-14-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Reputation: 6782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally agree with VmaxNC re: Emerson and Coby. I've never seen a Coby product I would consider. Garbage.

Everything I have ever read about 1080 v 720 said what you said DestinedtoDave. 42 or less, you won't see a difference in 1080 v 720. So I got a Panasonic 42" 720p TV. I love it and am very pleased that I bought it.

I hate the craziness that is Black Friday. People going shoppping to save $30 on a TV or stand in line for 1 of 3 dishwashers that is $100 less. And of the people I know that go, they NEVER get the advertised deal. They always wind up settling for something else. Hello, bait and switch.

Here you go, man. No 2 hour window to get it. Thank me later.

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-L32C5 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD TV: Televisions & Video
Just an FYI - bait and switch only applies if the advertised product was never available. In these ads you'll see "limited quantities" which legally means they aren't bait and switch.

I like Panasonic products, and own, among other things, two of their plasmas. But up until a couple years ago I felt that their LCD TVs were not able to produce good contrast. They all looked dark to me, and we as a group didn't sell many of them. I'd be sure to look at one before I bought it. Maybe they've improved that now. I know they've expanded their LCD line.

I was on the wrong side of the counter for 20+ years on BF, and hated it from that point of view as well. Fortunately I didn't work in mass market retail so I didn't experience the worst of it, as you referred to. When I see people getting trampled by others racing to get the $49 microwave, I want to laugh and cry at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Jenks, Oklahoma
620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Limited value? How did you come to that conclusion?

To get anything out of buyer reviews one must sort through the trash. If you want proof at how useless many reviews are, just look at the reviews that come up on that Coby TV:

Do you still think that buyer reviews are so great, after going 0 for 5 here?
Apparently you don't understand how to use customer reviews. I have found them to be of great value before a purchase because I learned things about the product one cannot know without owning it. Why do you have difficulty understanding that? Do you consider yourself an expert on everything you've never seen or touched? I believe you do.

I have always found the tone of your posts a bit pompous. I say this only to help you change your tone and manners, although I'm sure it will only make you turn purple and flame me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top