U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have someone with 3 posts saying X product is best thing since sliced bread you need to be wary about their intentions. I'm very open to business's posting on my forum related to the major topic as long as they are being up front about who they are but I've caught three of them trying to pose as regular users.
Oh oh oh. I thought you were referring to post counts here at C-D. I gotcha.

Re: Size. WHen I bought my TV I went to a local store and looked at sizes. Decided which would look best in my living room. I did NOT buy the biggest one I could afford. Drives me nuts when someone puts a 75" TV in a 300 sg ft living room. You CAN go too big. (I know someone that did this).

Re: Cyber Monday, yea why not wait at this point. But don't kill yourself. No matter what you buy, a month later it will be $100 cheaper. That's just how it works. hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Hey everyone,

I know the conventional wisdom for the past few years is that there isn't much picture quality difference to the eye for TVs under 40 inches.

Does this still hold true now? I'm looking at getting a 32 inch Emerson LCD from Walmart.
I plan on using the PC input to watch a lot of Netflix, hulu, etc, and have an XBOX 360. I watch a good bit of football as well. Should I be concerned about resolution?

Also, does LED make a big difference to the eye at this size? Going to Best Buy, the LEDs look better than the LCDs-but considering LEDs are just LCDs with improved technology I'd be surprised if there is really that much of a difference.

Thanks
The section I bolded is simply not true. As much as I distrust "the conventional wisdom" I don't even think this is the conventional wisdom. Even Consumer Reports doesn't say such a thing.

The difference between a good 40 inch TV and a bad one is significant in terms of picture quality. They may have the same number of pixels, but a good TV produces accurate color, displays black well, and is bright enough to meet your needs.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Thanks for the continued advice, all. I've seen a couple of 32'' Samsung LCDs for around 260-270. However, I'm now debating whether to get a 32 or 40 inch TV...

There's been a lot of comments on Black Friday, but what is the consensus on Cyber Monday for TVs? I'm thinking of holding off on my purchase until then. And if nothing great comes up, I'll most likely buy from Amazon.
Almost no one regrets buying a larger TV than they original thought they wanted. The correct size depends mostly on how far away you will watch the TV. In a typical living room or family room though it is hard to imagine that 32 inch is large enough.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The section I bolded is simply not true. As much as I distrust "the conventional wisdom" I don't even think this is the conventional wisdom. Even Consumer Reports doesn't say such a thing.

The difference between a good 40 inch TV and a bad one is significant in terms of picture quality. They may have the same number of pixels, but a good TV produces accurate color, displays black well, and is bright enough to meet your needs.
Not sure but I thought he was referring to the whole 720 v 1080 thing for TV's 42" and under. Even Consumer Reports admits spending a lot extra for 1080p on a smaller set is a waste in a decent sized room.
But re-reading it I can see he probably means there is no difference between brands on smaller sets. I would agree with Hoff: that is not true at all.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,774,199 times
If you have any thoughts about hooking up a computer or video game to your TV in the future, you'll thank yourself for buying a 1080p set.

If you just want to watch TV, 720p will most likely be just fine.

I'd recommend LED backlighting because I believe the TV will probably last longer/be more reliable. The florescent backlighting in conventional LCD TVs will eventually burn out (or the inverter/ballast fails). Occasionally, they fail prematurely--just weeks out of warranty, of course!

I personally wouldn't buy that Emerson, but I won't knock anyone who does. If you're not that concerned about the quality or longevity (and at that price I wouldn't be), go for it!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:

I'm betting that OP meant that he has read there's no difference between 1080P and 720P in a 40". Look at his title. I read the line you bolded several times in the first post, and disagreed as well until I noticed the title of this thread.

Quote:
Almost no one regrets buying a larger TV than they original thought they wanted. The correct size depends mostly on how far away you will watch the TV. In a typical living room or family room though it is hard to imagine that 32 inch is large enough.
I bought a 42" for my bedroom to replace the 27" CRT, and even given that I've worked with this stuff for many years I thought it was too big when I first set it up. But it wasn't long before I got over that and now if I had a place to move the 42" to I'd consider a larger set for the bedroom.

Except for the extremely largest TVs, viewing distance is THE critical factor when determining what size to buy. Also, it doesn't matter what room it is in, unless decorating is of major importance.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,226,267 times
Peregrine & Hoffdano, both of you misinterpreted my comment about resolution. The sentence was a little vague, but as the thread title indicates I was initially asking if 720p vs 1080p made a difference for 32 inch TVs (and from what I've read, the difference is small).

Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
If you have any thoughts about hooking up a computer or video game to your TV in the future, you'll thank yourself for buying a 1080p set.

If you just want to watch TV, 720p will most likely be just fine.

I'd recommend LED backlighting because I believe the TV will probably last longer/be more reliable. The florescent backlighting in conventional LCD TVs will eventually burn out (or the inverter/ballast fails). Occasionally, they fail prematurely--just weeks out of warranty, of course!

I personally wouldn't buy that Emerson, but I won't knock anyone who does. If you're not that concerned about the quality or longevity (and at that price I wouldn't be), go for it!
Well, this is interesting considering I plan on playing Xbox 360 and using the TV to watch Netflix/Hulu from my laptop. I'd imagine a lot of my use will come from these things.

Now it sounds like a 40 inch, 1080p, LCD (cheaper) is my best option. Westinghouse and Insignia (Best Buy brand) have these for around $350 all year around, so that's probably what I'll go with providing I don't find a better brand online for the same price in the next week or so.

I've never given TVs much thought, so my research in the last few days has had me flip-flopping like a politician.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Well, this is interesting considering I plan on playing Xbox 360 and using the TV to watch Netflix/Hulu from my laptop. I'd imagine a lot of my use will come from these things.

Now it sounds like a 40 inch, 1080p, LCD (cheaper) is my best option. Westinghouse and Insignia (Best Buy brand) have these for around $350 all year around, so that's probably what I'll go with providing I don't find a better brand online for the same price in the next week or so.

I've never given TVs much thought, so my research in the last few days has had me flip-flopping like a politician.
I would put Westinghouse at the same level as Emerson, and maybe half a step up from Coby. Insignia may creep in slightly above that. You really need to look at these TVs before you buy. Go find a properly adjusted top tier TV and watch it for a while. Look up buyers guides to see how to evaluate a TV picture. Then you'll have at least some reference for what a TV should look like. If you decide any of them meet your expectations, great. If not, you may need to roll up some more pennies and go for a better set.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM

9,579 posts, read 17,756,832 times
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about all the new TVs and electronics (old, slow-learner), but I will say I have two 42" Vizios that I bought a few years apart -- one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both are LCD models, 1080p, 60 hz, and I'm generally happy with both. The first one was from Sam's Club, the second from Walmart.

We've had some problems with the first one, but I'm not sure if it's the fault of the TV, of the cable box, or of my own stupidity. Again, it's the one that sits in the living room, and we don't watch much TV in that room. It's been there 6 years. About a year ago I started having trouble getting the picture to come on at all -- so much so that I just quit trying. Six months later I switched it on for some reason, and there was the picture. I haven't had a problem with it since, so I suspect it was a matter of the wrong buttons being pushed. If you asked my wife, she doesn't like Vizio because of that "problem". In fact, she doesn't even like the one in the bedroom because she doesn't always get the right buttons pushed. That, I know, is her fault. She's happy with the picture and everything else about them.

42 inch is the largest that we considered. Now every Sunday you'll see my recliner pulled up close to the living room TV so I can see the NFL action better. I'd say that indicates a larger one would have been nicer, even in our fairly small room. The one in the bedroom replaced a tube-type 30" HD flat screen. When it quit I went shopping. I told my wife that I'd probably get a 32" but bought the 42". She thought it was overkill, but now we're both glad I got the bigger one. In fact, I wish it was bigger! (I can't pull the bed up closer to the TV like I can my recliner!) Keep in mind, if you haven't had a wide-screen TV before, that you need a bigger screen to get the same sized image, as unless you're watching an HD channel, the sides on the TV screen will simply be blacked out (unless you "stretch" the picture out of proportion).

Years ago I got in the habit of leaving the bedroom TV on all night long, and we often spend one of our days off lounging in bed watching TV, so that one gets lots of use. I think it's 4 years old now, probably turned on 60-70 hours per week, and it's not had a hic-cup yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics