Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,498,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally agree with VmaxNC re: Emerson and Coby. I've never seen a Coby product I would consider. Garbage.

Everything I have ever read about 1080 v 720 said what you said DestinedtoDave. 42 or less, you won't see a difference in 1080 v 720. So I got a Panasonic 42" 720p TV. I love it and am very pleased that I bought it.

I hate the craziness that is Black Friday. People going shoppping to save $30 on a TV or stand in line for 1 of 3 dishwashers that is $100 less. And of the people I know that go, they NEVER get the advertised deal. They always wind up settling for something else. Hello, bait and switch.

Here you go, man. No 2 hour window to get it. Thank me later.

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-L32C5 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD TV: Televisions & Video
If you prefer local:

Samsung 32" Class LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV LN32D403 - Best Buy

Samsung 32" Class 720p 60hz LCD HDTV - Black (LN... : Target

Same TV. They both make you look in the cart, but it's $280. This is the one I'm considering for our bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,108,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Apparently you don't understand how to use customer reviews. I have found them to be of great value before a purchase because I learned things about the product one cannot know without owning it. Why do you have difficulty understanding that? Do you consider yourself an expert on everything you've never seen or touched? I believe you do.

I have always found the tone of your posts a bit pompous. I say this only to help you change your tone and manners, although I'm sure it will only make you turn purple and flame me.
Please explain how you would use the Coby reviews to help you make a buying decision.

I've written and edited pro reviews for A/V products which have been published in ads, buying guides, and training manuals. I know exactly how to use reviews.

Reviews can be helpful, but they often must be taken with a grain of salt. I proved that by pointing out the numerous flaws in the Coby reviews. As I said earlier my intent on forums is to cut through the BS and to help educate people on the reality of the topics. You said the reviews here (obviously mine, since you feel I have a pompous tone) aren't useful, and that's obviously wrong. You also didn't qualify your statement, meaning someone who read it may think all reviews are good, which is obviously wrong. I said in several different ways that reviews can be useful if people are willing to sort through the nonsense, as in those Coby reviews.

I stopped sugarcoating my thoughts years ago. For instance, Coby and Emerson are considered by anyone qualified to judge as low end, entry level, even crap. I don't see the point in trying to soften that statement on an internet forum. In a face-to-face situation I would present that in a less forceful manner, but I'd also have the advantages of voice inflection and facial expression to get my point across. I don't have those luxuries here. If I see a post that is counter to reality, I will call it out as such.

No, I'm not an expert on everything, but I am on this subject, and many other A/V business related topics. 25+ years in a wide variety of positions and responsibilities in the A/V business taught me a lot. Maybe you see my pointing out my qualifications as pompous. I see it as evidence supporting my claims to be knowledgeable. Maybe you're a person who doesn't like your ideas to be challenged or corrected. As we've all seen, some people post irrelevant and incorrect info as if they are experts, and my intent is to help the reader understand that not all posts can be taken as absolute fact, and to help them make better decisions. I did this professionally for a long time, and now do it as a part time consultant.

Flaming you holds no interest for me. I'm just stating facts here.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-14-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you prefer local:

Samsung 32" Class LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV LN32D403 - Best Buy

Samsung 32" Class 720p 60hz LCD HDTV - Black (LN... : Target

Same TV. They both make you look in the cart, but it's $280. This is the one I'm considering for our bedroom.
I'd like to have a new TV in my home office. That might be it!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,480,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Just an FYI - bait and switch only applies if the advertised product was never available. In these ads you'll see "limited quantities" which legally means they aren't bait and switch.
Oh, I know it's not technically, I only refer to it like that because the 2 folks I know that did this last year, came home with a different product because the "great deal" they wanted was gone already.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
The best sources for opinions on specific products are the reviews by purchasers on websites that are selling the product you're considering. Look at Amazon, Newegg, Circuit City, Best Buy, B&H Photo, Sams Club, etc. The opinions on here are of limited value really.
Two issues with the reviews on such site, firstly the reviewer can be either from the company selling the product or from the competition. Secondly people that have bad experiences with products are more likely to review it. How many people get a good product and decide to go review it?

Last but not least other than a site that has a dedicated group of consumers that know a lot about TV's a site like this is this best place to get unbiased information especially considering you can get a rough gauge of the posters bias based on their join date and post count.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Two issues with the reviews on such site, firstly the reviewer can be either from the company selling the product or from the competition. Secondly people that have bad experiences with products are more likely to review it. How many people get a good product and decide to go review it?

Last but not least other than a site that has a dedicated group of consumers that know a lot about TV's a site like this is this best place to get unbiased information especially considering you can get a rough gauge of the posters bias based on their join date and post count.
I do!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I do!
You are among the minority, but I appreciate you doing it. When wronged, people will tell ten other people. When a process has gone well, people tell two others. I make it a point to bring up good products and services when it is appropriate, but I make a MUCH BIGGER point of bringing up problems.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,480,024 times
Agree. I will post some positive reviews but any bad product will almost always get a review so I can warn others. Agree this totally skews reviews.
I read a handful of reviews but the other problem with them is sometimes, particularly with tech, a lot of problems are sometimes user error and it may be hard to pick that out for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
considering you can get a rough gauge of the posters bias based on their join date and post count.
What does post count and join date have to do with a posters bias?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,894,717 times
Thanks for the continued advice, all. I've seen a couple of 32'' Samsung LCDs for around 260-270. However, I'm now debating whether to get a 32 or 40 inch TV...

There's been a lot of comments on Black Friday, but what is the consensus on Cyber Monday for TVs? I'm thinking of holding off on my purchase until then. And if nothing great comes up, I'll most likely buy from Amazon.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What does post count and join date have to do with a posters bias?
If you have someone with 3 posts saying X product is best thing since sliced bread you need to be wary about their intentions. I'm very open to business's posting on my forum related to the major topic as long as they are being up front about who they are but I've caught three of them trying to pose as regular users.

They just don't understand the power of phpBB moderator tools and the follow up with grep and access logs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics