Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,600,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
OP didn't say anything about best price, did he? ....

Please define "matching" DVD player. That should be an interesting explanation.

As state in #1 per OP

Quote:
My budget allows me to.......
Thus the inference to best for the lowest price to fit OPs budget. Then the OP comes back and states it directly in #8. This forum is for opinions and not for PERSONAL ATTACKS on opinions.

FYI...Matching DVD player means TV remote has all usable buttons of DVD player without need to program. DVD remote has fully functional power, source and volume control for the matching TV.

Quote:
Had you spoken to someone at BB or even a local specialty retailer you may have been able to get closer to your online price.
I actually spoke to the managers of Best Buy and HHgregg. Neither would price match a non-local competitor or internet retailer.

Quote:
BTW - "Store return" means preowned. It was purchased, then "return"ed to the "store".
Semantics. Who cares Mr Know it All!! Just another Personal Attack. Read the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
Appreciate all the links. Allow me to clarify my TV purchase.

Bestbuy's warranty price is for 4 years, while Sear's warranty price is for 3 years.
You may want to check the wording on both warranties. One may state it starts on day one of purchase (in reality it doesn't for repair, only for surge) and one may state it starts at the end of the manufacturers warranty. FYI: Samsung extends the warranty from 12 months to 15 months if you register it online. Also Samsung sells their extended warranty for an additional three years for about $300.

Best Buy includes the Manufacturers warranty. So in reality its a 3 year extended.
http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFil...12_English.pdf

Sears starts at the end of the Manufacturers warranty. So it is also 3 year extended.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12605_KB_PAGrowthTC

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,518,882 times
Quote:
The original post was my concern with an LED TV over 47" being used in a bright room. After looking at Bestbuy I found the below models:

Samsung 46" no apps = $799
Samsung 46" with apps =$1,099
Samsung 50" no apps = $799 (sale until Saturday)

My original post concern was the 50" LED picture would not be as good as the 46" LED picture.
I'd buy this one. I wouldn't worry about picture quality. We've owned a Samsung 46" for 4 years. No problems, no complaints.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM

457 posts, read 974,172 times
I'm really leaning towards the 50" without the apps. For what I'm reading here, there won't be a difference in picture quality in the 50" from the 46" Samsung. I could probably add a blue ray player for the extra money which will also give me the netflix app.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards the 50" without the apps. For what I'm reading here, there won't be a difference in picture quality in the 50" from the 46" Samsung. I could probably add a blue ray player for the extra money which will also give me the netflix app.
Just remember that this TV has only two HDMI ports. But if you go the the BDE6500 from Cowboom it is wifi and has two additional HDMI "input" ports.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM

457 posts, read 974,172 times
Yes that helps posters with straight forward answers to the original posts. This goes on in all forums but still a big help in decision making. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,117,880 times
Quote:
Yes that helps posters with straight forward answers to the original posts. This goes on in all forums but still a big help in decision making. Thanks.
I didn't look much at the choices you offered, but if the TVs are in the same series, and at first glance differ only in size, they should have the same picture quality.

Someone mentioned that one only has 2 HDMI inputs and that may not be enough. In your case, a Bluray player and a satellite receiver/cable box uses up two HDMI. Maybe you have a PC, laptop, media player, or who knows what else that you may want to use eventually. Just a thought.

Someone else mentioned Wifi. I have it on one TV, and not on the other, which tells me I should have gotten it on both. As that poster said it allows for simple firmware upgrades, but it's also a link to the internet, which may lead to all manner of apps down the road. Bluray players often do this too, but you have to see how limited either device may be.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Why don't you go to Samsung.com and do a compare. The 46" is a better TV in comparison to the 50". It has better specs and has 3 HDMI ports & WIFI.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,005,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just remember, LED TVs are LCD TVs. There is no such thing as an LED TV, regardless of how they are marketed.
OLED TVs are LED by definition and they do exist because I have one.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,026,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
OLED TVs are LED by definition and they do exist because I have one.
Which one do you have?

I agree with you that an OLED TV is an LED TV. However they are not sold as "LED" TVs, and they are very rare in a usable size.

Samsung expects to price their upcoming 55 inch OLED TV at $9,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics