U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM

15,460 posts, read 19,672,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have a Samsung SmartTV and a Samsung DumbTV with a GoogleTV Box. I prefer the DumbTV with a GoogleTV box.
May I ask why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM

470 posts, read 1,067,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
My first flat-screen television was a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma that I purchased many years ago. As television prices are falling, I generally like to update especially since the "SMART TV's" are hitting the market with fairly inexpensive prices.

I wouldn't bother looking at LCD's at this point in time; either get an LED (extremely skinny, sleek) or get a plasma (best picture quality). The two brands I like best are Samsung for LED and Panasonic for plasma; you really can't beat these two manufacturers for quality. I used to always buy Sony products but I think Samsung has dethroned Sony in terms of technology.

I'd really look at one of the new SMART VIERA Panasonic Plasma's like this:
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 - NEW! SMART VIERA 60 Class ST50 Series Full HD 3D Plasma HDTV (60.1 Diag.) - Overview

OR a sleek Samsung SMART LED like this:
55" Slim LED Smart TV - Smart Interaction - Active Full HD 3D | Samsung 55ES7500

I'd really be sure to get a SMART tv though...I really think it's taking over the market. Only one of my current televisions is a SMART TV and the capabilities are great! I love to stream Netflix and listen to my music library; I don't use it for web access though, I generally prefer my iPad for that task.

Anything bigger than the 55 inch from samsung? will amazon have the best prices for this week?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,420,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Anything bigger than the 55 inch from samsung? will amazon have the best prices for this week?
Samsung has larger televisions than 55", I just posted that one as an example of their current offerings. You can search the Samsung website and find larger screen sizes.

I'm not sure where would have the best prices but I've always been hesitant of ordering such a large product online; I'd much rather go to a Best Buy and see it for myself. If you're buying a $1000+ television set, I'm not sure I would want to purchase it sight unseen.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM

15,460 posts, read 19,672,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
What Not to Buy on Black Friday (note #7)

Regardless, if you've seen the same model TV in a smaller size, I'd be comfortable ordering the larger one online. Especially if I got a considerably cheaper price, hassle free cost free shipping, and maybe no sales tax.

Sorry, BB, but you just don't cut it anymore (and I find their restocking charges to be repugnant). I'll still do Costco to get the free extended warranty or concierge service, along with their incredible return policy.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
May I ask why?
The SmartTV that I have is a Samsung one. It has limited apps, and the software updates are sparse. GoogleTV gets frequent updates and has access to the Play Store. I just feel like the Google support is better.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
A friend is installing one of these the first week of December.

Nebraska Furniture Mart

Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 868 times
The worst part about picking a new TV is knowing the difference between features and pricing. I always check reviews and pricing on sites like [url=http://www.tvrevs.com]Top Television Reveiws[/url] to see how well others rate a certain TV before I buy. For some reason I've been through about 5 TVs in the past 3 years. I guess its because I never really turn them off. LOL Anyway good luck to anyone searching for a new TV.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,223,647 times
Led.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpoweraff View Post
The worst part about picking a new TV is knowing the difference between features and pricing. I always check reviews and pricing on sites like Top Television Reveiws to see how well others rate a certain TV before I buy. For some reason I've been through about 5 TVs in the past 3 years. I guess its because I never really turn them off. LOL Anyway good luck to anyone searching for a new TV.
That site is junk. The ratings are straight from Amazon. There are no professional reviews. The descriptions of each TV are just the manufacturer's words.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Led.
Wow. A simple recommendation without a single word to explain or justify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics