U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,223,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Wow. A simple recommendation without a single word to explain or justify it.
There are many posts and threads on why. LCD and LED are the same thing. The backlight is the difference. LED is how they come now.

Plasma is out the door.
Their lamps also do not last that long and cost as much as a new T.V.
I also find that LCD/LED has a better picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Led.
Zeppelin.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Zeppelin.
Lol. Great band!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,420,816 times
Quote:
There are many posts and threads on why. LCD and LED are the same thing. The backlight is the difference. LED is how they come now.

Plasma is out the door.
Plasma is actually a much BETTER technology than LED/LCD and it's actually a fallacy that their light source is not as long lasting.

If you find an LED/LCD television to have a better picture, you need your eyes checked. Plasma has consistently demonstrated a superior picture quality in regards to richness of color, black levels, and motion projection. Why do you think plasma televisions are the most recommended for watching action movies and cinema-quality pictures on? LED may be slimmer and cheaper to operate, but it certainly does NOT have a better picture nor is it long lasting.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Plasma is actually a much BETTER technology than LED/LCD and it's actually a fallacy that their light source is not as long lasting.

If you find an LED/LCD television to have a better picture, you need your eyes checked. Plasma has consistently demonstrated a superior picture quality in regards to richness of color, black levels, and motion projection. Why do you think plasma televisions are the most recommended for watching action movies and cinema-quality pictures on? LED may be slimmer and cheaper to operate, but it certainly does NOT have a better picture nor is it long lasting.
It's not plasma. It's some plasmas. There is crap in every category. Various technologies cannot be compared by themselves. The individual products using those technologies can vary greatly, and not all are going to be shining examples of their respective tech.

I was one of the last proponents for plasma in the company I worked for. Many of the guys liked LCD over the Kuro models, which are unquestionably the best plasmas ever made, and are still regarded as some of the best pictures ever available. That being said, I'd favorably compare a top tier LED to my 2 year old Panasonic plasma, which was arguably the best when new. Given all the advancements in LED I'd consider buying one, after watching it for some time to evaluate it.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:

Plasma is out the door.
Where do you get your information?
A GOOD Plasma is better then a GOOD LCD. True today as it was 5 years ago. Plasma is NOT "out the door".

And a bulb for my 42" Panasonic plasma is: $119.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A GOOD Plasma is better then a GOOD LCD. True today as it was 5 years ago. Plasma is NOT "out the door".

I agree with the first part of your post. But what bulb are you talking about for your plasma?

Plasma TVs do not have any "bulbs."

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:

Plasma is out the door.
I know exactly what a LCD and LED TV are. Many flat panel TVs today still use a traditional backlight.

Plasma is going strong. And I have not seen ONE professional review of an LCD or LED TV that rates the picture better than the best plasmas (which cost less). Any Panasonic ST or VT model, or Samsung 7000 or 8000 series has a more natural picture than the best LED.

The panel life of plasma today is 100,000 hours.

Plasmas have zero motion blur, have better black level (still!), and far better viewing angles.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with the first part of your post. But what bulb are you talking about for your plasma?

Plasma TVs do not have any "bulbs."
The lamp inside the TV.

Last edited by Jean71; 12-03-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

People at stores.

I must not have looked at good quality plasmas then. Or they weren't connected right.....
I always notice smudging of the picture on Plasmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics