U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The lamp inside the TV.
Required reading:

HowStuffWorks "How Plasma Displays Work"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Where do you get your information?
A GOOD Plasma is better then a GOOD LCD. True today as it was 5 years ago. Plasma is NOT "out the door".

And a bulb for my 42" Panasonic plasma is: $119.
Who told you that a lamp is needed for a plasma?

Quote:
The lamp inside the TV.
Plasmas don't use lamps of any kind.

Quote:
People at stores.

I must not have looked at good quality plasmas then. Or they weren't connected right.....
I always notice smudging of the picture on Plasmas.
Plasmas can't smudge, any more than CRTs ever could.

Maybe those store experts don't know what they're talking about, any more than they know how to connect and set up a TV.

As always, misinformation is rampant.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The wikipedia has a nice article on plasmas.

Plasma display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But just to reinforce - there are no replaceable "lamps" on a plasma display.

In a 1920x1080 pixel display, there are 6,220,800 "cells" that create the red, green, and blue elements of the picture. Because they are active display elements they produce true black when turned off.

LCD/LED TVs are passthrough displays and always have at least a bit of light leakage through the display - hence the worse black levels. LED sets with "local dimming" can produce better black level than LCDs because the LED backlights in a dark portion of the display can be dimmed, reducing light leakage.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
People at stores.

I must not have looked at good quality plasmas then. Or they weren't connected right.....
I always notice smudging of the picture on Plasmas.
In most stores plasma TVs look darker than the super-bright LCD and LED TVs sitting next to them. So the plasmas often appear dull.

Take 'em home though, and in a natural setting, they are sooooo easy on the eyes. And LED sets, unless carefully adjusted to turn down the picture-on-steroids, are tiring.

A very good review of a recent Panasonic:

Test Report: Panasonic TC-P55VT50 3D Plasma HDTV | Sound and Vision Magazine

There is no LCD/LED that seriously competes with this TV.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Who told you that a lamp is needed for a plasma?
Why... Jean71, of course!!
Sounded nuts to me so I did a search. I realize now that price was for a Panasonic HD Rear Projection TV.

Doh. My bad.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why... Jean71, of course!!
Sounded nuts to me so I did a search. I realize now that price was for a Panasonic HD Rear Projection TV.

Doh. My bad.
Nice try.

Kudos for (eventually ) educating yourself.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,204,983 times
I'll probably buy a new TV sometime next year...maybe...so I've been doing some research.

In any case I found that Plasmas had received a bad wrap over the years. The only downsides with some models are 1. Glare, 2. Power Consumption. 3. They are a bit heavier.

Contrast ratio is usually much greater with a Plasma.

Color Reproduction is better with a most Plasmas.

Gaming/input lag is better with a Plasma.

General overall video quality is better.

Burn-in is a concern for any TV, with Plasmas, fortunately it is virtually a non-issue now.

LCD/LEDs are brighter, have lower power consumption, usually no glare and decent video quality. LED tend to have better contrast ratios (blacker blacks) than LCDs but generally lose out vs Plasma.

All in all Plasma seems to be the better deal, value-wise, for image quality.

For size, a cheap, "dumb", LCD might be best. For example you can get a 55 or 60 inch LCD for the price of a 47-50 inch Plasma.

I can't wait for the OLED TVs though!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,223,647 times
Thanks for educating me on Plasmas.

Ive seen so many threads in forums about their "lamps" burning out.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'll probably buy a new TV sometime next year...maybe...so I've been doing some research.

In any case I found that Plasmas had received a bad wrap over the years. The only downsides with some models are 1. Glare, 2. Power Consumption. 3. They are a bit heavier.

Contrast ratio is usually much greater with a Plasma.

Color Reproduction is better with a most Plasmas.

Gaming/input lag is better with a Plasma.

General overall video quality is better.

Burn-in is a concern for any TV, with Plasmas, fortunately it is virtually a non-issue now.

LCD/LEDs are brighter, have lower power consumption, usually no glare and decent video quality. LED tend to have better contrast ratios (blacker blacks) than LCDs but generally lose out vs Plasma.

All in all Plasma seems to be the better deal, value-wise, for image quality.

For size, a cheap, "dumb", LCD might be best. For example you can get a 55 or 60 inch LCD for the price of a 47-50 inch Plasma.

I can't wait for the OLED TVs though!
I think your post is accurate. I will add that glare is less of a problem with plasmas than they used to be. Power consumption of plasma may be 2X that of LED, but it is still only $50/year even when used many hours a day.

You missed one thing that is very noticeable with LCD/LED TVs - the narrow viewing angle. Picture quality drops off dramatically for most such TVs for angles as small as 30 degrees.

I am anxious for affordable OLED.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am anxious for affordable OLED.
The ones coming out next year are supposed to be under $10k. So we'll have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics