U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM

661 posts, read 1,057,500 times

Advertisements

Received a Garmin GPS Nuvi 50 in September as a gift. On a recent outing, the Garmin stopped receiving satellite signals and defaulting us to Chicago IL (we live in MA). I tried WebUpdater to no avail, then took it to our tech. He called this morning to tell us the Software/Firmware is corrupted and to fix would be cost prohibitive. I contacted, via email, Garmin to ask what they would do: either replace or fix.

My question is what should we reasonably expect from Garmin? Is their support good, very good, excellent or terrible? Since I don't have purchase information, I'm not sure what they can or will do for us? Thank you all for taking the time to answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,232,507 times
I consider the GPS to be almost disposable. I have 250 that cost about $100, and the updates were $79. So, I drive around with newer streets missing or use the Android.

For electronic service at about $80/hour and shipping I doubt it would be cost effective to send to them but it's worth a try. They may be trying harder these days with having to compete against all of the smartphone GPS systems. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM

634 posts, read 615,680 times
well im surprised people still use stand alone GPS. but i agree since stand alone GPS is on its way to oblivion u can buy most of them cheap especially the used ones.

OP have u tried the built in GPS on your phone?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I prefer stand alone GPS. They are no more on their way to oblivion than AOL is.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM

15,460 posts, read 19,672,068 times
The best plan would be to contact whoever gave you this gift and ask them for a copy of the sales slip. It's only been a couple of months. With that, I'm sure Garmin or the merchant will replace it.

I also prefer the standalone GPS. For those of us who use our smart phones mostly AS PHONES, we get a limited data plan. Using the GPS on the phone would burn up that data fast.

Plus, DH is hard of hearng The Garmin shouts at him (usually stuff like "make a U turn".

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM

634 posts, read 615,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I also prefer the standalone GPS. For those of us who use our smart phones mostly AS PHONES, we get a limited data plan. Using the GPS on the phone would burn up that data fast.

Plus, DH is hard of hearng The Garmin shouts at him (usually stuff like "make a U turn".
LOL at the bolded part. But ya that burn up that data usage on GPS on phone is the 1 of 2 reasons stopping me from ditching my navigon GPS. But I actually already found a way to get around that. Just hesitating to install it on my samsung because my hacked GPS is beloved and i'm taking my time to not use it anymore.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM

661 posts, read 1,057,500 times
Thanks, to all.

1) I don't have a smart phone, I use a pay as you go, so no Apps availabe for download
2) Contacted son for info on what organization he won it from so I can contact them and hopefully get a sales receipt. I may mention that if they can't or won't do anything, I'll probably try another brand.

Waiting to hear from Garmin, but, truthfully, I'm not expecting much. On a previous occasion that I had contacting Garmin, their answer was so technical, by the 2nd sentence, I was lost. But, Hope Springs Eternal!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:58 PM

15,460 posts, read 19,672,068 times
Your son won this thing? Okay, that changes things a bit.

Garmin has a one year warranty policy. When you first received the unit, did you register it online? I'm betting you did because you tried to update the maps online, yes? Based on that, Garmin should have record of when you first got the unit. That should help.

What I would do is call them on the phone. Explain that you received this as a gift from your son, who won it in a {whatever - fill in the blank}. Tell them the problem, then what your tech said, then ask for a replacement unit. If your tech will send you an email to explain the problem and what is required to fix it, I'd offer to send them that information to document that the unit is broken.

Be nice and I'd bet they will stand by their product. Click here for contact and warranty information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics