U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,179,923 times

Advertisements

Smart TV. Firmware/Software is constantly updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
THanks. Any info is appreciated. I am debating between that and the Boxee and the main difference is those "600 channels" they offer. I keep putting that in parens because I understand they aren't "real" channels. A few are, I have looked at the website.
I'm waiting to see how the new Boxee that's supposed have the DVR features and so forth is going to pan out! I can't wait to get started in the world of cord cutters!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,063,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I can vouch for the Samsung Smart TV experience being meh.

A laptop is not designed to be used as a STB. I wouldn't suggest that at all.

I don't have experience with the Roku, but I like the idea of being able to upgrade your STB without having to upgrade your TV (although, you can add an STB to a SmartTV as well). I have a GoogleTV that I like due to the apps and constant software updates.
i have both smart Tv and two HD on roku in the bedrooms. If you want to surf the web then a smart tv with a key board slide remote is better. For just streaming they are about the same. Both have software ungrades and apps added all the time.Smart TV also keeps to one remote.Roku just came out with a new Roku mdel but I haven;'t really paid attntio since i am satisfied with mine for streaming.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM

84 posts, read 164,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Opinions, please? This would include other boxes besides Roku, if you prefer them.

NOTE: We have no need for a DVD, Blueray or game console, so those are off the table. We just need streaming and would like a full browser. Buying a new 55" LED tv, music system and whatever else we need to set up one family room (not a full size in home theater).

I have owned a smart TV and have been cable free for many years. Let me give you some advice. Every TV in the electronics store has some form of smart app or streaming service. But, most of the software built into these TV's are not so good. Yes, they can do the job, but most have bugs and glitches. After you get the TV home, you will spend the rest of your life upgrading the TV's firmware everytime a bug is found. Most TV's who have streaming services have limmited UI for the service that you want to use. Take Netflix for instance. The UI on my plasma is very limmited and only shows a small handfull of movies to choose from. The navigation is slow and very buggy. Most TV makers skimp out on the nice hardware when they make their TV's, so they can save a few $$$. By using cheap hardware, the smart TV part suffers because of this. One more thing that you must watch out for is obsolescence. Most TV's are obsolete six months after you bring it home. Then the company stops providing firmware updates for your TV, then you are stuck with a TV which cannot be future proof. The point I am making is, one stop shopping is not always a good thing.

Media streamers like ROKU and AppleTV have good support, good hardware, good software, and are more flexible. The ROKU with the wireless remote is cool, so I hear. It even comes with Angry Birds. LOL!! I belong to the Apple ecosystem, so I have an AppleTV, Ipad, Imac, and two Iphones. Airplay is an amazing technology. I use my Ipad as a giant keyboard while I stream HULU+, Youtube, or movies from my Mac. With Airplay, you can mirror anything that is on your Ipad, Mac, Iphone to your TV. I mean anything. You can surf the net on your Iphone and mirror that on your TV. You can show family pictures and family videos to your TV with Airplay. I use my Ipad as a giant Keyboard when I surf the net. It is very cool to see on a 65inch plasma. But, to make Airplay work, you would need to purchase a WIFI router. The whole Airplay works by WIFI. It also works with your cell service, but that is slooooow.

If I were you, I would get a nice plasma and ROKU, then velcro the ROKU to the back of your new TV along with all the wires. Make sure you do not block the sensor of course, or the wireless remote will not work.

Remember, most consumer electronics like this are planned to be obsolete as soon as it hits the shelf. You need to take this into consideration.

I hear the updated AppleTV 3 will be able to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. But this is all speculation for now. They just updated the hardware in the AppleTV 3 with a new chipset and beefed up the bluetooth chip.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,993,791 times
My teen daughter has been asking that I look into purchasing a Roku. I've been doing research and am wondering I can really dump cable after purchasing Roku. We use our regular TV just for the news, everything else is cable. I'm guessing you need a Roku box per television.

Guess one of my concerns is what another poster said about channels not being updated regularly. I read that the new version of Roku has an earbud you can plug into the remote for nighttime listening. Pretty cool.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,553,130 times
Smart TV and a roku is what I would do. The TV since you said you wanted a browser and my Roku has none.

I find TV to be terrible and over priced. I was paying close to $100pm so I could watch Colorado Rapids and not much else. I took the plunge and cancelled my TV in Nov and recently bought a Roku3 and a hd rabbit ear setup. I sub to netflix and mls live so a month it costs me about $12. Big savings imho

I stream from lots of the movie channels on roku, Irish news and more. It has a usb port for my downloaded movies that I watch. I also stream from my Android and PC to thr roku over the Wi-Fi. Its all I need. I think most places will start to offer a la carte on streaming devices likr roku as tv popularity dies off.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I have a friend who did a jailbreak on an Apple TV and has been able to get loads of content that way.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM

I have both and if buying a new one its cheaper to just get the smart TV, Now days they consist of most of the highend TV. Little wiring if you have wi-fi to worry about with even Roko. On thing nice about smart TV is many have slide out key boards. My wife cousin is a artist with a site displaying her work .Its great to be able to go to her site on the huge screen to see what's up and well has relatives and friends pictures on Facebook for all to enjoy at once.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
My advice is to settle for a dumb TV with plenty of HDMI inputs and get the Roku. Eventually, your TV manufacturer will abandon updates to your TV's "smart features. I have a 2008 model of Sony TV with integrated smart features that hasn't had a firmware update since 2010. Eventually, without updates, that TV won't be able to connect to Netflix anymore... or if any new streaming services introduced, they will never be available for that TV.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
I have owned a smart TV and have been cable free for many years. Let me give you some advice. Every TV in the electronics store has some form of smart app or streaming service. But, most of the software built into these TV's are not so good. Yes, they can do the job, but most have bugs and glitches. After you get the TV home, you will spend the rest of your life upgrading the TV's firmware everytime a bug is found. Most TV's who have streaming services have limmited UI for the service that you want to use. Take Netflix for instance. The UI on my plasma is very limmited and only shows a small handfull of movies to choose from. The navigation is slow and very buggy. Most TV makers skimp out on the nice hardware when they make their TV's, so they can save a few $$$. By using cheap hardware, the smart TV part suffers because of this. One more thing that you must watch out for is obsolescence. Most TV's are obsolete six months after you bring it home. Then the company stops providing firmware updates for your TV, then you are stuck with a TV which cannot be future proof. The point I am making is, one stop shopping is not always a good thing.

Media streamers like ROKU and AppleTV have good support, good hardware, good software, and are more flexible. The ROKU with the wireless remote is cool, so I hear. It even comes with Angry Birds. LOL!! I belong to the Apple ecosystem, so I have an AppleTV, Ipad, Imac, and two Iphones. Airplay is an amazing technology. I use my Ipad as a giant keyboard while I stream HULU+, Youtube, or movies from my Mac. With Airplay, you can mirror anything that is on your Ipad, Mac, Iphone to your TV. I mean anything. You can surf the net on your Iphone and mirror that on your TV. You can show family pictures and family videos to your TV with Airplay. I use my Ipad as a giant Keyboard when I surf the net. It is very cool to see on a 65inch plasma. But, to make Airplay work, you would need to purchase a WIFI router. The whole Airplay works by WIFI. It also works with your cell service, but that is slooooow.

If I were you, I would get a nice plasma and ROKU, then velcro the ROKU to the back of your new TV along with all the wires. Make sure you do not block the sensor of course, or the wireless remote will not work.

Remember, most consumer electronics like this are planned to be obsolete as soon as it hits the shelf. You need to take this into consideration.

I hear the updated AppleTV 3 will be able to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. But this is all speculation for now. They just updated the hardware in the AppleTV 3 with a new chipset and beefed up the bluetooth chip.
Non-sense mine automatically does updates just like Roko does. Roko works fine for what it is but is more limited as sold. They could expand it but that would cost more and make it cost more. I stated have both and neither requires any attention on updating from me. Might be the TV you bought tho;I havn't owned all of them. Both work thru streaming form your intenet connection and do update thru the same method not you cable TV service. If you want with smart TV you can even hard wire the connection from router and eliminate wi fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics