U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM

5,737 posts, read 5,064,601 times
Default Smart TV or Roku Box?

Opinions, please? This would include other boxes besides Roku, if you prefer them.

NOTE: We have no need for a DVD, Blueray or game console, so those are off the table. We just need streaming and would like a full browser. Buying a new 55" LED tv, music system and whatever else we need to set up one family room (not a full size in home theater).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM

635 posts, read 163,101 times
Since you decided to buy a new TV anyway. I'ts simpler and easier to buy smart TV. It's ready to stream out of the box. Unless you think it's cheaper to buy LED TV/Roku combo.

OR just buy a LED TV and connect it to your PC/laptop you have a better smart TV. Pretty sure u can download lots of streaming softwares like Roku i think XBMC is 1 of them and it's free.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM

5,737 posts, read 5,064,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
Since you decided to buy a new TV anyway. I'ts simpler and easier to buy smart TV. It's ready to stream out of the box. Unless you think it's cheaper to buy LED TV/Roku combo.

OR just buy a LED TV and connect it to your PC/laptop you have a better smart TV. Pretty sure u can download lots of streaming softwares like Roku i think XBMC is 1 of them and it's free.
We don't want the clutter of the laptop or the wiring mess in our family room. Nor do we want to have to keep moving the laptops from the office to the TV. We're looking to simplify. In fact, bluetooth and wireless are becoming my two favorite words.

Is the software on the Smart TV's as good as the dedicated streaming boxes like Roku? We admired the Samsung TV's, but have heard that the Smart functions are balky, at best.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM

20,268 posts, read 14,984,091 times
I can vouch for the Samsung Smart TV experience being meh.

A laptop is not designed to be used as a STB. I wouldn't suggest that at all.

I don't have experience with the Roku, but I like the idea of being able to upgrade your STB without having to upgrade your TV (although, you can add an STB to a SmartTV as well). I have a GoogleTV that I like due to the apps and constant software updates.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM

3,047 posts, read 927,823 times
I would just go with the Smart TV. We have a Roku and honestly, we just use it for Netflix and Amazon. Did have Hulu Plus but cancelled it since there really isn't much difference to Netflix.

I do have other channels installed on the Roku but never watch them. A lot of channels are updated very slowly or there just isn't anything that really interests me.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM

5,710 posts, read 5,575,700 times
Really Jean? I was leaning towards a Roku for the ton of "other channels" that they have available. You don't watch many of those?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM

3,047 posts, read 927,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really Jean? I was leaning towards a Roku for the ton of "other channels" that they have available. You don't watch many of those?
No. I should probably go through them again and see if theres new channels and better programming.
A lot of the content on the other channels is mediocre really. At least in my opinion. As mentioned, a lot of content is either old, not updated frequently, foreign/indie stuff that doesn't really interest me.
A lot of channels also do not get maintained. You can look up the channels online. There is a website. You'll notice that a lot of channels have low ratings.

I'll check it out over the next few days and give you an update though. Haven't checked out the other channels in months.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM

5,710 posts, read 5,575,700 times
THanks. Any info is appreciated. I am debating between that and the Boxee and the main difference is those "600 channels" they offer. I keep putting that in parens because I understand they aren't "real" channels. A few are, I have looked at the website.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 16,299 times
TBS MOI DVB-S2 TV Streaming box is a dual DVB-S2 TV tuner and dual CI slot Linux server for streaming satellite TV channels to the following client end devices within your wired or wireless home network: HDTV, PC,tablet computers,smartphones,iPhone,iPad,iPod and Sony Playstation 3.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM

11,399 posts, read 25,413,162 times
Not too sure about a company where you can only contact through an email address...
TBS Technologies-Professional Manufacturer of Digital TV Tuner Card for PC, PC Cards for DVB S/S2,DVB ?C,ISDB-T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics