U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 AM

15,460 posts, read 19,672,068 times

Advertisements

Great choice. You and mom will enjoy it for many years.

Merry Christmas and best wishes to you BOTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
and buy the extended warranty i had a sony crap out on me after two years. these things are sensitve vs the old crt sets as well

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
i got my hdmi cable for 8 bucks and it's monster cable as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,576,054 times
Honestly, anything today will look good when compared to any TV bought 20 years ago.

You should be focused on reliability and sound, not on 720p vs 1080p or what the refresh rate is. I bought a cheap Dynex 19" 720P TV/DVD combo two years ago from Best Buy (for $239; I'm sure it would be much cheaper today), and besides its remote failing within two months, the audio from the built-in speakers was almost ear-shatteringly tinny. Although not all flat-screens are this way, you'll probably want to use a cheaper one with at least basic computer speakers.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I think that I am going to go with the Samsung 32 inch LED with 720p. I do not think that the extra 1080p will be visible on only a 32 inch. The 40 inch screens are simply too expensive for me...there is no way around that right now with my health problems. So I will stick with the 32 inch. This TV has gotten good reviews as one of the best but still affordable HDTV. No it is not the 50 inch plasma HDTV that I would love to get my mother (I simply can't yet), but it would still be a big improvement over the outdated TV she is using now. Thanks for the advice and links! I owe you guys one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Honestly, anything today will look good when compared to any TV bought 20 years ago.

You should be focused on reliability and sound, not on 720p vs 1080p or what the refresh rate is. I bought a cheap Dynex 19" 720P TV/DVD combo two years ago from Best Buy (for $239; I'm sure it would be much cheaper today), and besides its remote failing within two months, the audio from the built-in speakers was almost ear-shatteringly tinny. Although not all flat-screens are this way, you'll probably want to use a cheaper one with at least basic computer speakers.
Ummmmmm....

Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
Thanks for bringing up the issue with the speakers. I have no idea how the sound quality will be with the speakers it comes with. Since the older TV is more than 20 years old, I am going to assume that the speakers on the new TV will be at least a little better. If I still do not like the speakers on the new TV, I will just buy and hook up a pair of better speakers. The audio is definitely something that I am looking at, but because there is a way to work around any such problems, it is not a determining factor. I am more concerned about picture (which is why I am going for a more modern TV) and reliability (which is why I am going with the well reviewed Samsung). Cheers!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Thanks for bringing up the issue with the speakers. I have no idea how the sound quality will be with the speakers it comes with. Since the older TV is more than 20 years old, I am going to assume that the speakers on the new TV will be at least a little better. If I still do not like the speakers on the new TV, I will just buy and hook up a pair of better speakers. The audio is definitely something that I am looking at, but because there is a way to work around any such problems, it is not a determining factor. I am more concerned about picture (which is why I am going for a more modern TV) and reliability (which is why I am going with the well reviewed Samsung). Cheers!
Don't be so sure. Older TVs were able to accommodate much larger speakers within their case, and have a larger enclosure for those speakers. Flat panels have no room for either. All things being equal, bigger is better when it comes to speakers.

Be sure to have HD programming available. People often buy new TVs and watch non-HD channels without configuring the TV properly. That becomes a GIGO problem.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Don't be so sure. Older TVs were able to accommodate much larger speakers within their case, and have a larger enclosure for those speakers. Flat panels have no room for either. All things being equal, bigger is better when it comes to speakers.

Be sure to have HD programming available. People often buy new TVs and watch non-HD channels without configuring the TV properly. That becomes a GIGO problem.
You are probably very correct on that one. I admit I do not know much about speakers. I was just thinking that with two speakers of similar sizes, the more modern ones would be better. I know that a tiny speaker created yesterday will not offer the same level of quality as a gigantic speaker from twenty years ago. However, if we are looking at similar sized speakers, can I assume that the more modern ones may be a bit better? However, again like you said, the flatter TVs will have much less room for the speakers. So if the audio is not what I expected, I can purchase and attach a pair of larger speakers.

As for the HD, the Samsung does come with HDTV. I will have to exchange the cablebox with my cable company for a box that offers HD programming. However, with Cablevision, the exchange and HD programming will be free of any additional charges.

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
You are probably very correct on that one. I admit I do not know much about speakers. I was just thinking that with two speakers of similar sizes, the more modern ones would be better. I know that a tiny speaker created yesterday will not offer the same level of quality as a gigantic speaker from twenty years ago. However, if we are looking at similar sized speakers, can I assume that the more modern ones may be a bit better? However, again like you said, the flatter TVs will have much less room for the speakers. So if the audio is not what I expected, I can purchase and attach a pair of larger speakers.

As for the HD, the Samsung does come with HDTV. I will have to exchange the cablebox with my cable company for a box that offers HD programming. However, with Cablevision, the exchange and HD programming will be free of any additional charges.

Thanks for your input.
That's a reasonable assumption, although their relative position in the audio world must be taken into account. And much of this depends on your definition of decent sound.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,796,297 times
Quote:

Is Best Buy the best place to get a quality TV at an affordable price? Or could I go elsewhere?

PUKE - CONVULSE - SHAKE - FALL ON THE GROUND -OH MY GOD - LAUGHTER

no, not best buy. I love my Samsung Edge lit LED. . .and it was white gloved by Amazon. Cheaper. They put it where you want it. Brilliant.

I love samsung, but truth be told. . .My in laws won't even pay for high def, even though they bought a high def tv. So I think your safe with most brands as long as reliability is okay.

I've never bought a protection plan on these tv(s). If you do, I would try squaretrade at not the store you bought it from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics