U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM

31,129 posts, read 50,281,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Not for regular Roku use. Only for HBO GO.
You will have to sign up with Netflix or Hulu though. $7.99 a month each.
We already have Netflix, that does not include HBO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,952,320 times
Quote:
You can't sign up to HBO if you don't have cable/satellite though. Which makes HBO GO pointless.
Would be nice of they offered HBO GO as a standalone subscription for media players like the Roku.
I've already showed how HBO GO is not pointless. It may be pointless to you, but the service itself is hardly pointless in general. The fact that it saves me money makes it very useful.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,222,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We already have Netflix, that does not include HBO.
Correct.
You can only get HBO through a cable/satellite provider.
Thats why I wish they would make HBO Go a standalone service as well as a complimentary one if you already have HBO.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've already showed how HBO GO is not pointless. It may be pointless to you, but the service itself is hardly pointless in general. The fact that it saves me money makes it very useful.
Well in your case yes. For most people No. Most people that have Roku are trying to get away from the cable/satellite providers.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM

11,367 posts, read 10,515,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're right, it's not pointless. I shouldn't have said that it was because it's clearly a good choice for you. When you only have to pay once for the subscription and have multiple access for your other homes, I can see that it's an advantage to you. I guess I was thinking for those who don't have multiple residences where they would need service.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM

11,367 posts, read 10,515,949 times
Quote:
Well in your case yes. For most people No. Most people that have Roku are trying to get away from the cable/satellite providers.
Exactly, Jean. That's what I was thinking because that's what I did. It's very nice having a bill of 8 bucks a month for Netflix along with my local channels, instead of a bill between 50-100 dollars. Side note: after dropping my satellite provider, they sure scrambled to woo me back. Kept calling once a week until I finally told them I just wasn't interested any longer and to remove me from their list. The calls finally stopped six months ago and I dropped service in 2010.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Exactly, Jean. That's what I was thinking because that's what I did. It's very nice having a bill of 8 bucks a month for Netflix along with my local channels, instead of a bill between 50-100 dollars. Side note: after dropping my satellite provider, they sure scrambled to woo me back. Kept calling once a week until I finally told them I just wasn't interested any longer and to remove me from their list. The calls finally stopped six months ago and I dropped service in 2010.
Yup. If my GF didn't have a few shows that she can only get via cable/satellite, i'd happily drop them again.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM

15,454 posts, read 19,655,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
If you want to view the latest titles you have to shell out some dollars.
I don't necessarily mind "shelling out the dollars." We're building a house, and I'd prefer to avoid getting into a 2 year contract for cable or satellite service that is priced based on the assumption that I was TONS of crap channels and a landline phone. We have a smart TV, I don't mind buying a streaming device like Roku, but I don't think those are going to get me what I want.

Again, are there any alternatives to get current HBO, Showtime, etc. programming without cable or satellite service subscriptions? I think the answer is NO, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM

15,454 posts, read 19,655,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
and buy the TV boxed series DVD sets
I specifically said we want to watch them currently, as they are released. And I've NEVER ONCE purchased a DVD - we watch stuff once, then move on (with the exception of certain classic films that are repeated on regular television like clockwork.)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM

25,945 posts, read 42,453,057 times
Quote:
You have to have HBO through cable or satellite to get HBO GO.
Hmmmm... Thanks. Why would I get HBO on cable, so I could use Roku, hmmmm... Never mind. My neighbor told me about it also.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics