U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Netflix charges a fee. Hulu charges a fee. So there is a revenue stream even from among people who do not have cable available to them.
It appears that HBO does not want to go outside their partnerships with TV service providers at this time. They have loyalty towards cable & satellite providers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM

25,952 posts, read 42,477,697 times
Quote:
But you still must have a "TV provider" that you pay for TV.
Not really, but it depends on what you are trying to do.

I have cable High Speed Internet only, I use an antenna for Over The Air (OTA) TV. No satellite TV, no cable TV. My cable Internet goes to a router which provides Internet to our two computers, one computer cable connected, the other through Wi-Fi. Roku is a little box by our TV which receives the Wi-Fi signal and provides certain services like Netflix ($7.99 month), Pandora (free music), Crackle (free movies and TV series, with commercials). There are various options, many/some which you have to pay for. Yoy might want to go to Roku Streaming Player | Roku Streaming Player and see the features.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Not really, but it depends on what you are trying to do.

I have cable High Speed Internet only, I use an antenna for Over The Air (OTA) TV. No satellite TV, no cable TV. My cable Internet goes to a router which provides Internet to our two computers, one computer cable connected, the other through Wi-Fi. Roku is a little box by our TV which receives the Wi-Fi signal and provides certain services like Netflix ($7.99 month), Pandora (free music), Crackle (free movies and TV series, with commercials). There are various options, many/some which you have to pay for. Yoy might want to go to Roku Streaming Player | Roku Streaming Player and see the features.
Submariner was referring to being able to watch HBO on Roku. You need a TV service provider in order to do this.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Submariner was referring to being able to watch HBO on Roku. You need a TV service provider in order to do this.
Right.

I have WWW access and through it we are able to 'watch' some shows.

We do not have a cable company here so without satellite it appears there is no option for things like HBO.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Right.

I have WWW access and through it we are able to 'watch' some shows.

We do not have a cable company here so without satellite it appears there is no option for things like HBO.
Who do you use for internet access, if you dong mind me asking?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM

11,375 posts, read 10,523,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I'm doing the same thing as you, i.e. HSI and OTA TV. I've never been able to access HBO Go. If you are able to, please share how you are doing it. From what I find, you must subscribe to HBO, in order to access HBO Go through Roku.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Who do you use for internet access, if you dong mind me asking?
The local phone company.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Is Roku part of cable?
No, Roku is the name of a device that converts streaming video from the internet. It is but one such device.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,223,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm doing the same thing as you, i.e. HSI and OTA TV. I've never been able to access HBO Go. If you are able to, please share how you are doing it. From what I find, you must subscribe to HBO, in order to access HBO Go through Roku.
You have to have HBO through cable/satellite in order to take advantage of HBO Go through Roku. Theres no other way.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM

11,375 posts, read 10,523,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
You have to have HBO through cable/satellite in order to take advantage of HBO Go through Roku. Theres no other way.
Yes, and HBO is a subscribed channel. I had basic cable but no premium channels; i.e. HBO, Showtime, Encore and the rest. So, having cable/satellite doesn't mean we can access HBO Go. It must be a paid subscription to the channel. Hope that clears it up because there seems to be some confusion about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics