U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,823,855 times

Advertisements

Well I'm on the verge of going 100% digital no- dvds, tapes, cds, or anything. Yes very geek of me . I'm also going to "stream" everything from my server/computer. I love it so far. Right now I connect a spare old laptop to my main TV using an S-Video cable and have access to my entire library. I can use Media Player, or Windows Media Center, howvever I've tested out SageTV, which is really cool as I can stream a TV/Cable signal to any computer in the house or even over the internet. A buddy of mine tested out MythTV (runs on Linux) and *loves* it. I was on the verge of buying SageTV (around $100 or so) until he told me this.

Anyone else go completely digital? Just curious how your setup looks- personally I like it as I can copy stuff to a my mobile device (phone, ipod, etc.), watch tv on my computer while I'm in the kitchen, etc.

I've heard some really cool uses of TiVo in this way (even more impressive is that you can buy episodes from amazon and they download right to your TiVO).

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,068 times
Default Yeah thats whats up..!!!

I have a similar setup -- where I run a custom built workstation with a 4TB hard drive space, 4Gigs RAM with dual Intel Xeon 3.6Ghz.

I am hoping to go 100% digital all throughout the house by end of this year...and I use ORB to stream music all over even through my Nokia N95 cell phone...all I can say is I am loving it and also looking to get a SlingBox if possible to add to the set up..

What are you running and how is yours set up?

===================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well I'm on the verge of going 100% digital no- dvds, tapes, cds, or anything. Yes very geek of me . I'm also going to "stream" everything from my server/computer. I love it so far. Right now I connect a spare old laptop to my main TV using an S-Video cable and have access to my entire library. I can use Media Player, or Windows Media Center, howvever I've tested out SageTV, which is really cool as I can stream a TV/Cable signal to any computer in the house or even over the internet. A buddy of mine tested out MythTV (runs on Linux) and *loves* it. I was on the verge of buying SageTV (around $100 or so) until he told me this.

Anyone else go completely digital? Just curious how your setup looks- personally I like it as I can copy stuff to a my mobile device (phone, ipod, etc.), watch tv on my computer while I'm in the kitchen, etc.

I've heard some really cool uses of TiVo in this way (even more impressive is that you can buy episodes from amazon and they download right to your TiVO).

Anyone else?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,823,855 times
Right now I have and s-video connection on all tv's, a dedicated laptop (hidden neatly) on the main tv, that laptop is running XP and the SageTV software. However I also use VideoLan (it's free and rocks) for streaming anything from my servers (even stream my dvds and the dvd files copied to my file server).

However, I'm going to install MythTV. A friend of mine (who's very much into this) installed it and loves it. It's like Sage but he says it's smoother and of course it's free (however it's based on Linux, no biggie for me).

In terms of SlingBox, I heard good things, but I believe you can use VideoLan to broadcast a source stream (I'm going to play with it this weekend). It will transcode to pretty much anything (i.e., so you can play it on your windows mobile phone).

Orb? Hmm, thanks for the tip, never heard of it and a quick peek at the site, now means I'm going to be up past my bed time look at it

Incidentally I have about 1.5TB of "stuff". My favorite thing these days is streaming WEEI (Boston) in my car on my Windows Mobile phone (hooked to my car stereo)- I'm in Charlotte. This is great since I won't miss any Patriots/Red Sox scuttle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics