Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Can I put mp3 files on a CD to listen to in the car? If so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:09 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Depends on the car.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
How about just on a regular CD player?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Do you have an Mp3 player? You will need this. You can hook an MP3 player to your car - and then YES - you can play MP3s in your car

Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
How about just on a regular CD player?
You will need a blank CD, your MP3 files and software. Windows Media Player will do this as well as others you can download.

https://www.wikihow.com/Burn-Music-to-an-Audio-CD

Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Real answer:

You will need a blank CD, your MP3 files and software. This post assumes your car CD player supports MP3 disks. If you know how to copy files between directories ("folders") on your hard drive, then you can do this. There are many people who will make it sound like rocket science (or just provide unhelpful answers) but it is not.

You'd collect the files all together in a directory, then write them out in "data" mode to a blank disk using your preferred CD authoring software. DON'T use the built-in CD writing function in most newer Windows distributions since it's garbage, use a real CD authoring application like IMGBURN or Infrarecorder. (K3B is decent but only runs in Linux.) Use ISO9660 filesystem with Joliet extensions, which is the default in most CD authoring programs anyways. (Joliet is optional, but necessary if you don't want file names to be truncated to 8+3 scheme. ISO9660 is required.) Most MP3-compatible CD players don't support any other file systems; a few *might* support earlier UDF versions but it's a gamble. If you want the files to play in a particular order you might want to think about appending sequential numbers to the file names, e.g. "001 Pahie Layo - The Lemon Group.mp3", "002 555-2368 - Mother Bell and the Dialtones.mp3", "003 Chiquita Republic-Atomic Banana Conspiracy.mp3" etc. Once you have that done, follow the instructions for your particular software to build a data CD, then export the whole wad to a disk. The disk you end up with will be a computer CD-ROM that can be run on PCs and CD players with an MP3 codec (including many DVD-video machines) but can not be run on a conventional red book (audio CD) player.

Remember that you can only write between 650-700 megabytes of user data in conventional CD-R media, so take that into consideration. Use CD-R; CD-RW is too unreliable for daily use in abusive environments such as cars, so don't even bother with it.

The advantages are that you can write several hours of audio to a disk (versus 1h 20m in red book format) and you bypass a generation of quality loss since you are playing the actual MP3 files rather than ones decoded using potentially less than stellar (cough cough Itunes cough cough) codecs.

Last edited by Ttark; 10-09-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Real answer:

You will need a blank CD, your MP3 files and software. This post assumes your car CD player supports MP3 disks.
I quoted the OP, he/she said "How about just on a regular CD player?"

It's there plain as day, instructions are for audio cd, NOT MP3 disk. I posted a link to using WMP which comes stock with windows.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:53 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Just use iTunes. I routinely make audio CDs (for car stereos, etc.) using mp3 files on my computer.

1) Buy/use blank "CD-R" type CDs (Verbatim is a good brand)
2) Download/start iTunes
3) Create a playlist of songs you want to put together for your CD (it should not add up to more than 1 hour and 18 minutes)
4) Highlight your current playlist
5) Load a blank CD
6) Skip stuff that shows up on screen
7) Select "Burn Playlist" from menu
8) For type of CD, specify "audio" (then it will play in any standard CD player)
9) Sit back and wait for the CD to be created
10) Enjoy!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-09-2018 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
WMP and Itunes are GARBAGE. Even for building conventional audio CDs, you're better off using a real MPx-to-PCM decoder like Win-LAME, or the converter in Winamp, and a real CD writer like IMGBURN and assembling it manually. There's really no substitute. A badly-encoded MP3, like any made with the built-in codec in Itunes, will sound bad no matter what, but decoding it through a high-quality codec like LAME can prevent further fidelity loss from demuxing through such lousy codecs. To make a decent quality CD, you have to do a little work. There's no way around it.

But then, I've been doing this for the better part of 15 years so I have a little experience, which is probably 15 years more than a lot of people today. That's why I'm here.

[url]https://winlame.sourceforge.io/[/url]
[url]http://www.imgburn.com/[/url] (NOTE: official distro installs adware; to get around this problem open the installer EXE in a ZIP archiver like 7zip then manually extract the ImgBurn.exe file to your hard drive)

Last edited by Ttark; 10-09-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
WMP and Itunes are GARBAGE. Even for building conventional audio CDs, you're better off using a real MPx-to-PCM decoder like Win-LAME, or the converter in Winamp, and a real CD writer like IMGBURN and assembling it manually. There's really no substitute. A badly-encoded MP3, like any made with the built-in codec in Itunes, will sound bad no matter what, but decoding it through a high-quality codec like LAME can prevent further fidelity loss from demuxing through such lousy codecs. To make a decent quality CD, you have to do a little work. There's no way around it.

But then, I've been doing this for the better part of 15 years so I have a little experience, which is probably 15 years more than a lot of people today. That's why I'm here.

https://winlame.sourceforge.io/
The Official ImgBurn Website (NOTE: official distro installs adware; to get around this problem open the installer EXE in a ZIP archiver like 7zip then manually extract the ImgBurn.exe file to your hard drive)
Uhh, MP3's themselves are GARBAGE. You can't get something (good sound) from nothing. If it's lossy, it's gone, period. It's called LAME for a reason. You want good sound, use FLAC's. The software you use to make audio CD's from lousy MP3's is irrelevant. I can mention a whole bunch of programs that do it, WMP comes with windows which makes it easier. Why complicate things?

I doubt many people actually use Audio CD's anymore, but if you must and actually own them and want to make a compilation and have it sound good, use WAV or FLAC. Kind of hard to find these formats on the internet for purchasing, assuming you actually bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics