U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,576,054 times

Advertisements

I have two cassette adapters that input my phone's audio (usually streaming radio or music) to my car's stock audio system, which does not have an AUX jack, and speakers. The first I bought off eBay and it worked as it said about three times before failing. The next one I bought at Best Buy (Dynex brand), and it did the same thing and now only intermittently outputs the audio. The problem in both was that upon inserting the cassette tape, it would automatically reject it and then re-accept it a few times before returning to the other source. What is the solution for this problem? Note that it is winter in northern MN and hence gets down to a very low temperature in cars parked outside, but I don't know if that makes a difference with cassette tapes and wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Have you tried cleaning the head on the cassette deck?

Get some isopropyl alcohol and some cuetips, open up the cassette door and anything you see in there round and shiny where the tape is going to run across clean.

My Mother had one of those years ago, I don't recall her having any issue with it.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 AM

356 posts, read 458,204 times
the casette player in your car is broken. instead of fixing it. i suggest you install an aux jack instead. or whichever will be cheaper to pay between the 2.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
the casette player in your car is broken. instead of fixing it. i suggest you install an aux jack instead. or whichever will be cheaper to pay between the 2.
Not all radios have AUX jacks. Plus if its factory, its going to be on the back of the radio and a conversion kit would need to be installed and a hole drilled into the dash to plug the 1/8" jack into. So the next least expensive manner to use is a FM transmitter. Battery powered device that plugs into MP3 device and comes through a few different stations on the radio.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM

356 posts, read 458,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Not all radios have AUX jacks. Plus if its factory, its going to be on the back of the radio and a conversion kit would need to be installed and a hole drilled into the dash to plug the 1/8" jack into. So the next least expensive manner to use is a FM transmitter. Battery powered device that plugs into MP3 device and comes through a few different stations on the radio.
yeah i know it's a chore to install an aux jack that's why even if i want to i did not bother installing an aux jack anymore in my car. yeah i forgot about that FM transmitter. that's what i use too. it is not a solid audio reception though.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
FM transmitters, especially the wireless ones, have terrible sound quality. Why take the excellent sound of the MP3 player and take it down to AM radio quality (that's how bad the FM transmitters sound)? Wired FM transmitters are better....but still poor. The cassette adapters, when they work, are shockingly better.

But I think the OP can continue to throw $20 here and there to keep going as is or just spend $100 or so on a new headunit. If he expects to own the car for a while, it surely would be money well spent.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,576,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
FM transmitters, especially the wireless ones, have terrible sound quality. Why take the excellent sound of the MP3 player and take it down to AM radio quality (that's how bad the FM transmitters sound)? Wired FM transmitters are better....but still poor. The cassette adapters, when they work, are shockingly better.

But I think the OP can continue to throw $20 here and there to keep going as is or just spend $100 or so on a new headunit. If he expects to own the car for a while, it surely would be money well spent.
I've actually considered that before, but the newer headunits I've used tend to have awful FM reception, sometimes even muting the audio on weak frequencies, assuming that nobody wants to listen to them. I like to DX FM from my car and do bandscans.

I've also bought an FM modulator. Way too quiet, even on the highest power setting. Returned it immediately. The cassette adapter, on the other hand, is LOUD.

I'll try to clean the tape or find a stray tape and play it.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:

That's debatable, especially compared to devices that are commonly considered to have excellent sound. I've never heard an MP3 player that when played through a decent speaker/amp setup sounded anywhere as good as the source CD. MP3s themselves are most often very compromised.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's debatable, especially compared to devices that are commonly considered to have excellent sound. I've never heard an MP3 player that when played through a decent speaker/amp setup sounded anywhere as good as the source CD. MP3s themselves are most often very compromised.
I disagree - at least with MP3s ripped at 192kbps or higher. I ripped all of my CDs at 320kbps, and stream them to my HT system over the network with a Squeezebox media player. I have listened to the MP3 and compared directly to the original CD. In my system (B&K, Sunfire, Snell) I cannot hear a difference.

MP3 at 128kbps sounds gritty and spitty. But it gets pretty good at 192 kbps.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
I disagree - at least with MP3s ripped at 192kbps or higher. I ripped all of my CDs at 320kbps, and stream them to my HT system over the network with a Squeezebox media player. I have listened to the MP3 and compared directly to the original CD. In my system (B&K, Sunfire, Snell) I cannot hear a difference.

MP3 at 128kbps sounds gritty and spitty. But it gets pretty good at 192 kbps.
320 is better but it's still not even close in my opinion. When I compared them to the CD they were ripped from, MP3s are a major compromise in audio quality. My neighbor, who thinks Bose is high end, picked the MP3 every time when I A <-> B against the source CD with all other components and settings being the same. I ripped my discs mainly to put all my music on my Ipod for use in the car. Again, I put the source CDs in the car's player, and compared. The Ipod sounds so bad, relatively speaking, I stopped using it. I do not consider myself to be an audiophile, and recognize that my high frequency hearing is not what it was.

My opinion was reinforced when I sold my Martin Logan Puritys. The buyer listened to the MP3 I was playing when he arrived. Then I put in the same disc and it was like I had different speakers. It was many subtle things that added up to a major improvement in sound quality.

Maybe we hear different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics