Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Just a personal opinion....

I prefer LED over plasma any day.
Why? Which models of each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why? Which models of each?
Let's see;

1). resolution
2). power consumption
3). lifespan

Plasma is history. Was good in its day.

Again, Just my opinion.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Let's see;

1). resolution
2). power consumption
3). lifespan

Plasma is history. Was good in its day.

Again, Just my opinion.

Resolution is the same.

Power consumption doesn't affect picture quality. But LCD/LED do use less power, and generate less heat.

Plasmas have a long lifespan. 5 years ago Panasonic was touting 60K hours. That issue has long been put to rest.

In most comparisons, plasma wins when it comes to picture quality, and for the most part always has. The latest Panasonic top model has been suggested by many reviewers as the best TV ever produced for the consumer market.

Not counting when I was around all the top brands every day, including some that aren't well known, when I've looked at TVs, top tier plasmas always outperformed any of the LED/LCD models. That's why I bought two in the last three years

To be clear, my points are about top tier, larger panels, not just one technology vs another.

That's just my opinion, with a few facts thrown in.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM

For those who say Monster Cable is a scam, what is your basis for that? Have you ever listened and compared for yourself? Are you qualified to make a comparison? Are you familiar with the MC that isn't in Best Buy and Radio Shack? Are you aware that there are entire lines of MC products that most people have never seen? Do you think all expensive cables are scams, or just MC? If so, why only Monster Cable? If not, why doesn't anyone ever talk about the other companies? Do you know that there are dozens of cable companies whose expensive products make MC look like throw away cheap wire? Do you simply buy into those blog or forum posts that say "I listened to MC, and it doesn't sound any better" or "I use cheap cables and they work great", even though 99.9999999 of those people aren't qualified to make a real comparison? Do you understand that an oscilloscope can't display everything you can hear? Where is the spec for audio concepts such as depth, imaging, and soundstage?

Do you really think a billion dollar a year business, with dozens of companies, and tens of thousands of product-loyal customers is really all a scam? Seriously now, think about that. Are all those people (and banks, finance companies, etc., who at some point loaned money to many of those companies) clueless? Does it sound reasonable to connect megabuck speakers and big dollar amps with lamp cord and throwaway cables?

I don't care what anyone buys or not. I get nothing from promoting MC. But think about it rationally, and you may see that the mentality of all MC being junk doesn't hold up. The people that buy it and other high end brands aren't looking at test results and Best Buy blogs. They are listening, and viewing, and making decisions on their own.

avsforum.com is an excellent website. If you want to broaden your horizons even further try audiogon.com. Check out some of the cables. And all the other product categories too.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I replaced my cabling with MC when we bought our HDTV. BIG difference!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Monster Cable and most companies in the cable industry are full of crap. Vmaxnc - you should know that the primary reason they continue to take money from people is that the profit on them is out of sight and they have the support of audiophile publications that depend on perpetuating the idea that great sound is a mystical experience.

You and I can argue about who is qualified or not to tell whether it matters. But aside from the impact of well understood electrical parameters of inductance, resistance, and capacitance - the vast majority of cables assembled well perform identically. The people who defend these things (like absurdities like the Tice Power Clock and Shun Mook wood discs) refuse to participate in double blind tests because they know they will fail to identify the differences.

Monster Cable products are typically well made (in China) and carry outrageous prices. No more so than with HDMI cables. It is laughable that these companies make 1M interconnects that cost $500 or $1000. Even more laughable is that some people pay that much. These companies press the idea that a subwoofer needs a special cable.

Monster is especially egregious for its past litigious history of suing tiny companies that used the word "Monster" in their business even though their business had nothing to do with audio, video, cables, or anything remotely similar.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I prefer plasma over LED. I have a Sony 7.1 surround sound, but actually prefer going with only the two front speakers and a subwoofer. Plus I live in the country, so I can actually push the volume up as high as I want to without worrying about disturbing any neighbors.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Monster Cable and most companies in the cable industry are full of crap. Vmaxnc - you should know that the primary reason they continue to take money from people is that the profit on them is out of sight and they have the support of audiophile publications that depend on perpetuating the idea that great sound is a mystical experience.

You and I can argue about who is qualified or not to tell whether it matters. But aside from the impact of well understood electrical parameters of inductance, resistance, and capacitance - the vast majority of cables assembled well perform identically. The people who defend these things (like absurdities like the Tice Power Clock and Shun Mook wood discs) refuse to participate in double blind tests because they know they will fail to identify the differences.

Monster Cable products are typically well made (in China) and carry outrageous prices. No more so than with HDMI cables. It is laughable that these companies make 1M interconnects that cost $500 or $1000. Even more laughable is that some people pay that much. These companies press the idea that a subwoofer needs a special cable.

Monster is especially egregious for its past litigious history of suing tiny companies that used the word "Monster" in their business even though their business had nothing to do with audio, video, cables, or anything remotely similar.
This is one more thing you and I will have to agree to disagree on. There is a point of diminishing return on any product, and I agree that there is a lot of silliness out there. I do believe in better cables though in many applications, for a variety of reasons. But I do think it's silly to sue everyone for using "Monster".

One fact-as of about the mid 2000s, many of their cables were made in California. Been there, seen it. I don't remember which cables were made there, and don't know what the case is now. I needed to free up some brain cells, so I purged all that info.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I replaced my cabling with MC when we bought our HDTV. BIG difference!

Geez.... then you should have gone with silver litz wire.... and 'burn-in the cables' for weeks to get all the electrons to line up, determine the proper 'direction' of the speaker cables... OMG
Ever take a loudspeaker apart? Been building them since I was a kid. Maybe I just have a tin ear (or don't fall for snake oil).

Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Hey everybody the ultimate expert has arrived. Listen up as we are about to hear the one and only opinion that matters on City Data!

30 speakers. 50 subwoofers the size of a wine cellar. Piles (yes piles!!!) of terabyte hard drives. An HDTV the size of lower Manhattan - and not plasma as plasma is junk and outdated.

All bow to the Princess of Knowledge!!

On a more serious note: Do you realize that no one values your opinion here. You should see the reps I get...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics