U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 3,181,460 times

Advertisements

We've finally payed off our debts and will be rewarding ourselves with a flat screen, blue ray, etc. yay!

At the moment we're leaning toward Plasma, and maybe going with a Play Station 3, and doing some research on sound systems... Wow! There's a lot out there! (If I had a big house and a bigger budget, I'd get one of those "Elite" brand TV's we saw in the Best Buy show room! Beautiful picture, but too big for our room, as they don't make them smaller than 60" and definitely very expensive, like 7K! But very impressive!!)

Anyway, I would love to hear what you have for your home theater set up (for instance did you buy "separates" for the sound system) and how happy you are with it, and what you might have done differently.

BIG THANKS for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We've finally payed off our debts and will be rewarding ourselves with a flat screen, blue ray, etc. yay!

At the moment we're leaning toward Plasma, and maybe going with a Play Station 3, and doing some research on sound systems... Wow! There's a lot out there! (If I had a big house and a bigger budget, I'd get one of those "Elite" brand TV's we saw in the Best Buy show room! Beautiful picture, but too big for our room, as they don't make them smaller than 60" and definitely very expensive, like 7K! But very impressive!!)

Anyway, I would love to hear what you have for your home theater set up (for instance did you buy "separates" for the sound system) and how happy you are with it, and what you might have done differently.

BIG THANKS for any feedback!
Elite? Interesting. That was Pioneer's premium TV brand, which stopped production several years ago. I think Sharp bought the name (same logo) but it's an entirely different product now.

My most recent surround system, which I broke apart and sold (the electronics), was:

Cambridge Audio Azur 640R surround receiver
(2) Adcom 2 x 200 amps for main speakers
B&K Reference 3 x 200 amp for center and rear speakers
Martin Logan Purity/Magnepan MG-1 main speakers
Martin Logan Script-i rear speakers
B&W LCR6S2 center channel
Martin Logan Depth-i subwoofer
Pioneer Elite DV59AVI DVD player

I bought the 640R for sound quality, but it was far behind in HDMI functionality even when new. I used the system for music much more than for video. I'm a big fan of planar/electrostatic speakers rather than conventional box speakers.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,747,053 times
I am very happy with my 50" Panny Plasma I bought about 3 years ago. I don't care what people say, I just love Plasma over the other technology.

If you want to go big, go projector. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I haven't gone to a movie theater since I bought my projector four years ago. The only down fall for owning a projector is....you will need a room where you can control light. I remember the first time I turned on my projector. I was SMILING from ear to ear!!!!! I think I was happier at that moment than when I got married. LMFAO.

As I stated in another post, I spent a lot of time doing my research at avsforum.com when I was setting up my theater systems. I have a set up for my bedroom, tv room, and my projector room.

Things to avoid: Home Theater in a Box. BOSE. Monster Cable. Fake scamming speaker brands that sound or spell similar to expensive brand, knock offs. (Google "White Van Scam").

Things I learn: The sky is the limit. I never realized that there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY speaker brands and their prices can range from a few dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Even $100Ks for speakers. Lets not even get into the amp!

Most basic home theater consist of a receiver, 5 to 7 speakers, 1 or 2 subwoofers. Others might later add an amp, but most speakers don't require an additional amp as long as their receiver is strong enough to power their speakers.

My first home theater budget was $1K...anyway, it got ugly after my research. Definately, go to avsforum.com and read up about speakers, amp, receivers, subwoofer. It will open up your mind.

Putting your own pieces is the way to go but it does cost more money because you are buying better quality. The sky is the limit base on your budget.

If you can't afford much, you can buy 5 Infinity Primus speakers or 5 Polk Monitor speakers at any online retailer, buy a $300-$400 range receiver on clearence, a $300-500 subwoofer and it will more than satisfy most average people. If you have more money, you can look into fancier speaker names like PSB, KEF, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Def Tech, B&W, etc...

Most people new to home theater tend to make the mistake of spending the largest amount of their money on electronics such as receiver and very little on their speakers or subwoofer. Unfortunately, that is doing it all wrong. The majority of one's budget should be spent on Speaker, next the subwoofer, and the least is the receiver. Simple fact is that electronics get dated much faster than speakers and subwoofer. Speakers and subwoofer are something that people can keep for a long time and not be dated....or at least not as fast as electronics.

My first mistake was not putting enough money into subwoofer. Movies is just isn't the same if you have a cheap subwoofer vs. an expensive subwoofer. I went from a $400 subwoofer to a $1K+ subwoofer and it was an AMAZING AWAKENING.

Do your research, go audition, find a system that fits your budget. Buy clearance, last year's model often saves lots of money. Finding the right speakers is important. You might like one brand and hate the other. There were speakers out there that I love for music but disappointed for movies and speakers I was disappointed for music but love it for movies.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,457,670 times
Usually set up on my bed.

I use my laptop for everything.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Just a personal opinion....

I prefer LED over plasma any day. I run 7 Klipschorns for the home theater, and about 30 other speakers in the sound room. One floor of one of the houses is dedicated to this. The subwoofer (as I stated on an audio site) consists of a former wine cellar, with 4 18" woofers, with a few Crown amplifiers.
You don't have to go crazy making a killer system, but my motto is "too much is never enough".

Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Just a personal opinion....

I prefer LED over plasma any day. I run 7 Klipschorns for the home theater, and about 30 other speakers in the sound room. One floor of one of the houses is dedicated to this. The subwoofer (as I stated on an audio site) consists of a former wine cellar, with 4 18" woofers, with a few Crown amplifiers.
You don't have to go crazy making a killer system, but my motto is "too much is never enough".
Why 30 speakers?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Because she can... and it's more than anyone else is liable to have.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Because she can... and it's more than anyone else is liable to have.
It makes no sense unless your home theater is outdoors or you have the worlds worst decoder.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
You are so awesome! You have the BEST of everything in the world!!!!! I don't know how you even have time to be on CD with all your stuff!
Several reasons: I don't have anything else to do, but travel, and enjoy high-tech electronics (well, classic electronics). I am actually fairly busy, as I am selling off a lot of 'stuff', as 'stuff' does not make me happy. And I am starting to outgrow the audio hobby.

Anything else you want to know? The topic here is 'What is your home theater setup?". Let's stick with that.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why 30 speakers?
I have a sound studio in one of the houses, (complete with sound booth and carpet-covered walls, and more DIN connectors than I can count.... getting high SPL is not easy.... I am a horn fan, but run Altec two-ways and a whole bunch of others as well. Grabbed a few racks from the telecom company I worked at, as they were throwing then out, and rack-mounted all the equipment I could. A sound booth is awesome, as you don't have to deal with fan noise, and all the mixers and distribution amps can be in one place. To be honest, the reason why there are so many speakers is that my dad and I used to build them for fun, ever since I was a young kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics