U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM

415 posts, read 913,588 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for a home theater system, But I do not want a complicated setup, Are their any stystems available in the market, which can calibrate the surround speakers based on room size, rather than installing the surround speakers on the wall etc...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a home theater system, But I do not want a complicated setup, Are their any stystems available in the market, which can calibrate the surround speakers based on room size, rather than installing the surround speakers on the wall etc...

Thanks
I don't understand your point about calibrating on room size vs. install speakers on the wall. Those two things are unrelated.

Most mid-priced home theater receivers today include automatic calibration circuitry using a supplied microphone. They don't care how you mount your speakers. These systems send test signals to each speaker, analyzes the response, and adjusts automatically.

I suggest you buy a receiver from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, or Pioneer and a matched set of speakers up to your budget.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM

sorry for bad explanation, what I want to know is where do I have to put the surround speakers ? Can I keep them along side have woofer and front speakers or do I have to keep them on the wall behind me?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
sorry for bad explanation, what I want to know is where do I have to put the surround speakers ? Can I keep them along side have woofer and front speakers or do I have to keep them on the wall behind me?
I suggest reviewing what Dolby says about your question:

Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

Do the best you can.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

495 posts, read 365,467 times
Rears would go on the wall behind you.

What is your budget and how important is it to you to exceed the sound quality of the dreaded HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) products, generally available in the big box stores?

Room size?

Do you want to be immersed in the listening experience?

There are plenty of excellent bang for the buck HT systems from internet direct manufacturers (with 100% 30 day return policies).

Also share with us the equipment that you already have (maybe it can be leveraged into the HT system).

Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Rears would go on the wall behind you.
I don't agree with this recommendation at all though it is a common setup. The "surround" speakers in a 5.1 setup should be set to the sides slightly behind the listening position if possible. They are not "rear" speakers though many call them that.

If you don't agree with me - look at the Dolby recommendations. Or the THX site.

If you have dipole surround speakers they should be directly perpendicular to the listening position.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

495 posts, read 365,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't agree with this recommendation at all though it is a common setup. The "surround" speakers in a 5.1 setup should be set to the sides slightly behind the listening position if possible. They are not "rear" speakers though many call them that.

If you don't agree with me - look at the Dolby recommendations. Or the THX site.

If you have dipole surround speakers they should be directly perpendicular to the listening position.
Agreed hoffdano. I made a very generalized statement and your references would provide a good introdution. Placement is an x-factor until one can understand the room dimensions and layout. In-wall or in-ceiling could be viable options for all we know...

I'd like to hear from the OP on budget, dimensions, will the system double for music? 2ch, SACD 5.1/ DVD-A? Is the OP considering 6.1? 7.1? Flat screen? Projector?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 PM

well, i haven't decided on budget yet, but now I know that i need atleast 5.1 speaker system + a receiver with Airplay capability, any suggestions please

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
well, i haven't decided on budget yet, but now I know that i need atleast 5.1 speaker system + a receiver with Airplay capability, any suggestions please
If you need to specify a budget, as many people do, that may be the most limiting factor. So it should be addressed up front. I could tell you that the average receiver and 5.1 speaker system I sold was in the $2000 to $2500 range, but if your budget is far below that, there's no point in discussing that.

All things being equal, larger speakers generally sound better than smaller speakers. But you may not be able to accommodate larger speakers. Where will all the speakers be placed? Yet another parameter that may need to be addressed before recommendations are made.

Assuming it can be properly set up in your viewing space, would you want 7.1 any time soon? Will you want to connect speakers for other areas of your home to this system? What other functions would you like the receiver to have? What other components will you be connecting to it?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,746,388 times
I'm not an expert but I did spent a lot of time researching and a lot of money getting my home theater system set up for my tv room, bedroom, and my projector room.

BUDGET is important. Prices can range from a few hundred dollars to the tens of thousands of dollars. Really depend on what you are looking for.

A very helpful site that I did my research on was at avsforum.com. Since knowing that website, I have spent close to $10K for my home theater systems. I finally stop going there a few years ago, just so that I can STOP SPENDING MONEY and constantly upgrading. LOL.

Slickdeals.net is another website I often go to and look for what goes on sale. This is where I find good deals for speakers, subwoofers, recievers, and amps.

This is a good time to find deals. You can build an entry level home theater system around $1,000 or so. Or you can go to the mid level systems with the fancier names, but it also come with the price tag.

You have to give us what your total budget is for your speakers, subwoofer, receiver, accessories,etc. I usually avoid Home Theater in a Box and anything that has to do with BOSE and MONSTER CABLE.

How large is the room you plan to put that system in? Is the room carpeted? Hardwood? Tiles? Do you prefer bookshelf? Floorstanding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics