U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM
 
105 posts, read 105,061 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

I've heard about this for HDTVs. does anyone know anything about it and what they do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Element 19" HDTV ELCFT194. I've noticed when just broswing the menu. There's 5 different options for a channel scan. The "Air" scan is self-explanitory. The cable has four options auto, std, irc, and hrc. I know what auto scan is. Yet I don't know what the other three are or what they even mean? So any help in that area would be greatly appreicated. So Hopefully someone can help me with this dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 7,016,177 times
Reputation: 3859
Did you mean to post this in the Pittsburgh forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Penn Hills
1,326 posts, read 1,706,720 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Did you mean to post this in the Pittsburgh forum?
Yes, probably. They are basing it off the "cable/internet packages" thread further below, where these things were discussed as an alternative to buying cable tv around here. Though obviously the thread is likely to be moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM
 
105 posts, read 105,061 times
Reputation: 79
Yes I meant to post it here. Since the question probably would've got lost in the shuffle of the cable internet package thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,155 posts, read 8,849,450 times
Reputation: 14370
I tried two antennas that were supposed to get me "all the digital channels." They got nothing. I returned them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 20,932,887 times
Reputation: 5109
QAM means it can tune in digital cable channels without a cable box. In practice, you'll only get non-HD versions of the very basic broadcast channels though because Comcast has it all locked down.

If the TV is capable of CableCard, you can get one of those from Comcast instead of the box, for a little bit less rent. This is unlikely on such a small TV though.

The tuner bit that gets you the over the air HD channels with an antenna is ATSC.

BTW with the digital tuners in the TVs you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have to run the channel scan function anytime you change anything with the input (i.e. you adjust the antenna position hoping to pick up a channel you didn't get the last time, then you need to rescan in order to see if it picked up). You can't find the channels any other way. If you jack the Comcast line directly into your TV, you also need to run the scan. The channel numbers will be the wackiest crap you've ever seen and the TV will not recognize them until you scan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM
 
105 posts, read 105,061 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
QAM means it can tune in digital cable channels without a cable box. In practice, you'll only get non-HD versions of the very basic broadcast channels though because Comcast has it all locked down.

If the TV is capable of CableCard, you can get one of those from Comcast instead of the box, for a little bit less rent. This is unlikely on such a small TV though.

The tuner bit that gets you the over the air HD channels with an antenna is ATSC.

BTW with the digital tuners in the TVs you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have to run the channel scan function anytime you change anything with the input (i.e. you adjust the antenna position hoping to pick up a channel you didn't get the last time, then you need to rescan in order to see if it picked up). You can't find the channels any other way. If you jack the Comcast line directly into your TV, you also need to run the scan. The channel numbers will be the wackiest crap you've ever seen and the TV will not recognize them until you scan.
Do you still pay the same amount a month with the card then you would with the set top box? Comcast digital starter package is $67 dollars in my area. So if I had the card. I would still pay the sameme price? I would have the card and not the set-top box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
 
2,538 posts, read 4,090,341 times
Reputation: 3336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
Do you still pay the same amount a month with the card then you would with the set top box? Comcast digital starter package is $67 dollars in my area. So if I had the card. I would still pay the sameme price? I would have the card and not the set-top box?
None of the major cable providers are going to give you a discount for using a cable card, unless it is a secondary box. They always give you the first box "free" as part of the subscription. If you're adding additional boxes then the cable card is cheaper. I think FIOS and Comcast are both $2.99 a month for the card.

Where are you located? Digital OTA is fairly strong, but the antenna is directional. Did you try adjusting the antenna and pointing towards the city? Otherwise you will get nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top