U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,441,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Newbie View Post
Hands down Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD. ...
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but this statement you made is exaggeration at best. PQ is pretty much neck-and-neck w/ the 2 formats. If from your exp., B-r looked so much more superior to H-D, then perhaps you saw it on a cheap sub-$200 H-D player or a poorly made H-D disc. Watch "Matrix", "F&F 3", or "Transformers" on HD-DVD on a high end Toshiba player and I thiink you'll reconsider saying "hands down Blu-ray is superior".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM

85 posts, read 228,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but this statement you made is exaggeration at best. PQ is pretty much neck-and-neck w/ the 2 formats. If from your exp., B-r looked so much more superior to H-D, then perhaps you saw it on a cheap sub-$200 H-D player or a poorly made H-D disc. Watch "Matrix", "F&F 3", or "Transformers" on HD-DVD on a high end Toshiba player and I thiink you'll reconsider saying "hands down Blu-ray is superior".
I watched "300" on a collegues blue-ray and HD player-- he has both...and the blue-ray looks much better in my opinion...sorry to burst your bubble! :-)

Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Newbie View Post
I watched "300" on a collegues blue-ray and HD player-- he has both...and the blue-ray looks much better in my opinion...sorry to burst your bubble! :-)
What HD-DVD player does he have? XBox 360? Toshiba (which model)? I ask b/c not all HD-DVD players are 1080p, the cheaper ones are 1080i, which would account for the quality difference.

BTW, it's Blu-ray, not blue-ray.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,072,433 times
IMO, all statements are bias b'c you need to take into consideration the quality of the television and the dvd player. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Also, not all movies are being released on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Some are in the HD-DVD format and some are in the Blue-Ray format. I'm sure in the end it won't be like that but as for now, that may be something you take into consideration.

I really think it's too early in the game to tell who's going to "win out"!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM

85 posts, read 228,952 times
Talking Blu-ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
IMO, all statements are bias b'c you need to take into consideration the quality of the television and the dvd player. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Also, not all movies are being released on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Some are in the HD-DVD format and some are in the Blue-Ray format. I'm sure in the end it won't be like that but as for now, that may be something you take into consideration.

I really think it's too early in the game to tell who's going to "win out"!
On second thought...who cares! Just buy whatever you can afford. Obviously people on here want to 'fight' about everything. No one ever wins in these situations. I'm buying BLU-RAY!

Last edited by B Newbie; 10-25-2007 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM

^ The ongoing "war" is one reason why I haven't committed buying a format yet. (I'd either get an HD-DVD player or a combo player if I had to choose today.) So for others who are also on the fence, get a high quality, up-converting DVD player. I bought an OPPO '980 DVD player and have been very happy with it. It up-converts 480p DVDs to 1080p and it almost looks like hi-def. (I know what hi-def looks like b/c I have OTA HD on my TV .)

Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,849 times
I like blue-ray for technology reasons. It is a superior technology, but that doesn't make it the winning choice.

Personally, I am not touching either until a winner is decided. I got burned on beta and VHS a long time ago. Beta I chose because I figured "Hey, its the superior technology", but that wasn't what other people were thinking.

So, I will wait. Someone is going to lose the battle. I will move to whoever does win.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 AM

693 posts, read 2,565,798 times
Wall-Mart is selling HD-DVD players for $98. Best Buy is also selling HD-DVD players for $99. While quantities last!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 PM

I heard about the WM $100 deal for that entry level Toshiba HD-DVD player. I think it also includes some free HD-DVD discs. These kinds of deals will help HD-DVD beat Blu-ray.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:29 PM

16,337 posts, read 13,795,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Wall-Mart is selling HD-DVD players for $98. Best Buy is also selling HD-DVD players for $99. While quantities last!
No doubt such low prices will kill off Blue Ray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics