U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times

Advertisements

I saw an advertisement for the LG dual DVD player:

Introducing the LG Super Blu™ Player - The Multiple Choice

It's retailing for just over a grand. Pretty sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,439,610 times
Post HD DVD Has Mark of Winner

I came across this article today. I'm copying and pasting it here.

HD DVD Has Mark of Winner

Source: Oakland Tribune
Publication date: 2007-11-12

By Don Lindich

Q: DO YOU HAVE a preference between HD DVD and Blu-ray?

-- Rhett Elton, Seattle

A: I enthusiastically recommend HD DVD because it a better product and a better proposition for consumers. Signs are showing it is going to trounce Blu-ray, and soon. Surprised? Read on.

For those looking for a single sentence explaining why go with HD DVD: It's a better thought-out, more solid product than Blu-ray, it is half the price, and picture and sound quality is identical. At under $200 including seven or more movies, HD DVD players are a stunning value. Why pay twice the money when Blu-ray has serious issues and the movies look and sound the same?

I smile when I see people buying HD DVD players based on bargain pricing, because they are unknowingly getting the Ferrari as well! Despite its purported superiority and much higher cost, Blu-ray is the emperor with no clothes. HD DVD has been superior since day ONE. Surprised? Read on.

HD DVD has delivered, as promised from the start, receiving critical acclaim for its spectacular picture and stunning sound. Hundreds of great movies are available, with more added every week. Check out amazon.com to see the wide, varied selection.

On the other hand, at launch Blu-ray's picture quality was horrible, generating barbs such as "needs to go to the scrap heap" and "who in their right mind would ever like this?" Though they have since closed the picture quality gap, almost all Blu-ray player models announced or existing are already obsolete. They conform to an early player profile that does not support upcoming disc features. Specifications should have been finalized before product launch! Blu-ray's record has been spotty at best and if you say it sounds like they have been fixing it as they go along, I'd say you are right.

In the words of video industry legend Joe Kane, "Blu-ray is all about greed." Though a poor value, many retailers push Blu-ray because of the higher price and higher margin. It's easy to debunk Blu-ray's purported advantages.

"More studios support Blu-ray, including Disney ... no Cars or Pirates on HD DVD." Well, HD DVD has plenty of exclusive support too and has never lost a studio. Conversely, Paramount and DreamWorks recently abandoned Blu-ray for HD DVD, calling it "the affordable, high quality choice". So, no Star Trek or Shrek for Blu-ray. The answer for either camp is to get the regular DVD if you from Business 1 can't get the HD version.

"Blu-ray discs have higher capacity." Another non-issue as HD DVD has enough to do the job, and expensive new equipment is needed to manufacture Blu-ray discs. Existing DVD factories need little modification to press HD DVDs, meaning lower costs from movie studio to consumer.

"More Blu-ray players have been sold and more companies make them." Well, almost all of the "Blu-ray players" sold so far are Playstation 3 game consoles that happen to have a Blu-ray drive in them. Many, if not most of them are used solely as game machines. HD DVD has the lead in standalone players. As for more manufacturers, what's the difference if there are one or ten obsolete, expensive Blu-ray models on the market?

"Blu-ray will win because it has sold more movies to date." Another non-issue because even combined, Blu-ray and HD DVD disc sales are an infinitesimal piece of the DVD pie, a few grains of sand in a sandbox. Blu-ray's tiny numerical lead will be obliterated soon anyway because kingmaker Wal-Mart has embraced HD DVD. In early November, Wal-Mart placed HD DVD ads on primetime TV and ran a promotion estimated to have sold well over 50,000 players in a single day.

Other retailers showed increased HD DVD player sales in Wal- Mart's wake, with the events making national news.

For more, read the prophetic "Blu-ray: Can it survive?" at Blu-ray: Can it Survive? (http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm - broken link). Dated July 14, 2006, it is right on the money!

As the premium offering yet with a lower price, DreamWorks and Paramount's abandonment of Blu-ray, and support from extremely powerful places, HD DVD's growing momentum is showing signs of turning into a tidal wave this holiday season. I know consumers are smart enough to see which way to go and are going to love their choice. Nice to get the best for half the price, isn't it?

Read past columns by Don Lindich at Don Lindich’s Sound Advice BlogGreat advice and great deals on great audio/video/photography gear! ™ -, and contact him using the "submit question" link on that site.

(c) 2007 Oakland Tribune. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.

Last edited by beowulf7; 11-12-2007 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 03:19 PM

93 posts, read 300,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I came across this article today. I'm copying and pasting it here.

HD DVD Has Mark of Winner

Source: Oakland Tribune
Publication date: 2007-11-12

By Don Lindich

Q: DO YOU HAVE a preference between HD DVD and Blu-ray?

-- Rhett Elton, Seattle

A: I enthusiastically recommend HD DVD because it a better product and a better proposition for consumers. Signs are showing it is going to trounce Blu-ray, and soon. Surprised? Read on.

For those looking for a single sentence explaining why go with HD DVD: It's a better thought-out, more solid product than Blu-ray, it is half the price, and picture and sound quality is identical. At under $200 including seven or more movies, HD DVD players are a stunning value. Why pay twice the money when Blu-ray has serious issues and the movies look and sound the same?

I smile when I see people buying HD DVD players based on bargain pricing, because they are unknowingly getting the Ferrari as well! Despite its purported superiority and much higher cost, Blu-ray is the emperor with no clothes. HD DVD has been superior since day ONE. Surprised? Read on.

HD DVD has delivered, as promised from the start, receiving critical acclaim for its spectacular picture and stunning sound. Hundreds of great movies are available, with more added every week. Check out amazon.com to see the wide, varied selection.

On the other hand, at launch Blu-ray's picture quality was horrible, generating barbs such as "needs to go to the scrap heap" and "who in their right mind would ever like this?" Though they have since closed the picture quality gap, almost all Blu-ray player models announced or existing are already obsolete. They conform to an early player profile that does not support upcoming disc features. Specifications should have been finalized before product launch! Blu-ray's record has been spotty at best and if you say it sounds like they have been fixing it as they go along, I'd say you are right.

In the words of video industry legend Joe Kane, "Blu-ray is all about greed." Though a poor value, many retailers push Blu-ray because of the higher price and higher margin. It's easy to debunk Blu-ray's purported advantages.

"More studios support Blu-ray, including Disney ... no Cars or Pirates on HD DVD." Well, HD DVD has plenty of exclusive support too and has never lost a studio. Conversely, Paramount and DreamWorks recently abandoned Blu-ray for HD DVD, calling it "the affordable, high quality choice". So, no Star Trek or Shrek for Blu-ray. The answer for either camp is to get the regular DVD if you from Business 1 can't get the HD version.

"Blu-ray discs have higher capacity." Another non-issue as HD DVD has enough to do the job, and expensive new equipment is needed to manufacture Blu-ray discs. Existing DVD factories need little modification to press HD DVDs, meaning lower costs from movie studio to consumer.

"More Blu-ray players have been sold and more companies make them." Well, almost all of the "Blu-ray players" sold so far are Playstation 3 game consoles that happen to have a Blu-ray drive in them. Many, if not most of them are used solely as game machines. HD DVD has the lead in standalone players. As for more manufacturers, what's the difference if there are one or ten obsolete, expensive Blu-ray models on the market?

"Blu-ray will win because it has sold more movies to date." Another non-issue because even combined, Blu-ray and HD DVD disc sales are an infinitesimal piece of the DVD pie, a few grains of sand in a sandbox. Blu-ray's tiny numerical lead will be obliterated soon anyway because kingmaker Wal-Mart has embraced HD DVD. In early November, Wal-Mart placed HD DVD ads on primetime TV and ran a promotion estimated to have sold well over 50,000 players in a single day.

Other retailers showed increased HD DVD player sales in Wal- Mart's wake, with the events making national news.

For more, read the prophetic "Blu-ray: Can it survive?" at Blu-ray: Can it Survive? (http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm - broken link). Dated July 14, 2006, it is right on the money!

As the premium offering yet with a lower price, DreamWorks and Paramount's abandonment of Blu-ray, and support from extremely powerful places, HD DVD's growing momentum is showing signs of turning into a tidal wave this holiday season. I know consumers are smart enough to see which way to go and are going to love their choice. Nice to get the best for half the price, isn't it?

Read past columns by Don Lindich at Don Lindich’s Sound Advice BlogGreat advice and great deals on great audio/video/photography gear! ™ -, and contact him using the "submit question" link on that site.

(c) 2007 Oakland Tribune. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.

Quick note- analysts are estimating that between wal-mart and best buy, the HD-A2 $98 sales totaled out around 90k. In 2 days.

Devil's advocate, though: The "new features" that blu-ray 1.1 adds boils down to picture-in-picture... Not exactly critical, and the lack of it doesn't exactly make players obselete.

Still, I think he's right on when he talks about price driving adoption, and adoption driving the other out of the market... And unless blu-ray changes something QUICK, they're on the wrong side of that equation.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiance View Post
Quick note- analysts are estimating that between wal-mart and best buy, the HD-A2 $98 sales totaled out around 90k. In 2 days.

Devil's advocate, though: The "new features" that blu-ray 1.1 adds boils down to picture-in-picture... Not exactly critical, and the lack of it doesn't exactly make players obselete.

Still, I think he's right on when he talks about price driving adoption, and adoption driving the other out of the market... And unless blu-ray changes something QUICK, they're on the wrong side of that equation.
Only $90k totaled for those HD-A2 players? That means less than a total of 1,000 players were sold in those 2 days. That seems like way too little (avg. of 20 per state). Are you sure you're not off by a 0 or 2?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 PM

93 posts, read 300,680 times
No, I mean 90k *units*, not dollars

Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Yes, lots of people are buying HD DVD players. Toshiba is also selling the HD DVD2 under $300.00. I haven't looked into what advantages version "2" has over HD DVD. Anybody knows?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, my bad. That makes a lot more sense. And that would amount to about $9 million in revenue generated for Toshiba via Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
Well, I guess we know who won out!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM

RIP HD DVD

Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,504,310 times
So much for 'hddvd has mark of winner'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics