U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 AM

226 posts, read 799,603 times

Advertisements

For this coming christmas season, I am undecided as to which high definition format to choose from for the new dvd movies. I am leaning towards Blu-ray because their movie choices are better, although their equipment is more expensive. Does anyone have an opinion on either? Any past experiences both positive and/or negative? I heard there is somewhat of a lag when starting up Blu-ray movies, is this true and does HD-DVD have the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 AM

4,147 posts, read 9,421,244 times
When VHS tapes first came out, people were trying to decide between VHS and Beta. VHS eventually won out and all the people that thought Beta would be the next big thing lost a lot of money.

It's the same thing right now with Blu-Ray and HDDVD. There's not enough room in the market for both of them to be successful. I'd suggest waiting a little longer to find out which will fade away, because one will.

I used to manufacture DVDs for a living and the manufacturing equipment is EXTREMELY expensive for each, so there aren't that many manufacturing plants willing to jump on board with one or the other just yet, meaning that it's still a while until one takes over the market. The lag and bugs will all be fixed in either format, but one of these is going to be the "Betamax" of our time.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 AM

90 posts, read 270,826 times
One of the hardware mfrs has been working on a device to play both formats, as well. I'm personally holding out for that before I drop any coin onto an HD-type DVD player.
Doesn't stop me from getting HD cable tho

Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 19,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
When VHS tapes first came out, people were trying to decide between VHS and Beta. VHS eventually won out and all the people that thought Beta would be the next big thing lost a lot of money.

It's the same thing right now with Blu-Ray and HDDVD. There's not enough room in the market for both of them to be successful. I'd suggest waiting a little longer to find out which will fade away, because one will.

I used to manufacture DVDs for a living and the manufacturing equipment is EXTREMELY expensive for each, so there aren't that many manufacturing plants willing to jump on board with one or the other just yet, meaning that it's still a while until one takes over the market. The lag and bugs will all be fixed in either format, but one of these is going to be the "Betamax" of our time.
Actually HDDVD uses the same replicating equipment as normal DVDs with very minor modifications. I personally don't own either format at the moment simply because some titles that I would want to own are only available on one and or the other.

As for equipment that plays both, there are already some available. LG makes a stand-alone player that claims to play both. Additionally there are drives available for playing both formats on a PC.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,444,097 times
I personally prefer HD-DVD over Blu-ray. But in the end, I think dual-format players, such as the one made by LG, will win. That's kind of what we saw when there were competing DVD burners (-R(W) vs. +R(W)). Now pretty much all new DVD burners support both -R(W) and +R(W).

For those who are on the fence, just get a good up-converting DVD player, which will easily buy you another year or 2. I bought one by OPPO and am very happy with it. They are very well regarded in the A/V community. But since they sell strictly on-line, most people never heard of them.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 PM

65 posts, read 72,394 times
I own both a HD-DVD Player, and a PS3 (Plays Blu-Rays) and after renting many movies in both formats, I am happier with HD-DVD, although Blu-Ray has better colors IMO, the quality of HD-DVD is better.

My advice to the first poster, save your money, don't invest in HD yet, its not worth it. Normal DVD's look just fine, why is everyone suddenly seeing normal DVD's as "****" and HD is the only way?!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,074,514 times
We've recently bought one of those upconverter dvds and it works great. Personally, I think the the Blue-Ray is better but in the end, HD will probably win out. Sony is notoriously known to "mess up" somehow in their marketing. That's what my husband says anyway. I have blue-ray on my Sony laptop and I think the color is amazing ... and that's on a laptop! We hooked it up to the TV with an HDMI cable and dang, the color is amazing. I'm just waiting to buy more DVDs b'c it's so expensive right now!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 AM

5,434 posts, read 21,680,904 times
I am one of the many consumers that refuse to buy an HD player as long as they continue this stupid fight over standards.

I bought one of the early up-converting players (a Momitsu) a few years ago and continue to use it. IMO the industry has completely muffed the roll out of HD (from displays, wiring, and bandwidth to source material) and deserve the reluctant acceptance and tightening of margins.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 AM

468 posts, read 1,525,513 times
I went with HD for one simple reason: cost. I bought mine around three months ago for $220, got 5 free DVD's (which I have yet to receive) and have access to Planet Earth. The cost of the cheapest Blu-Ray was somewhere near $450 + tax, so I passed. I considered getting the PS3 for a time, but at that time, $499 for a gaming console was a little bit too much. Now at $399, maybe I'll reconsider.

Before I had an Oppo upconverter, which was nice for two years, but I wanted that step up, so I went with the next-gen player.

For those with an XBOX360 though, you can get the add-on HD player for $180 + tax with King Kong, Heroes (first season) and 5 free DVD's from Best Buy. Not bad, eh? And even though Blu-Ray is purported to looking nicer, I cannot complain at all with HD-DVD!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 AM

85 posts, read 228,982 times
Thumbs up Blu-ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
For this coming christmas season, I am undecided as to which high definition format to choose from for the new dvd movies. I am leaning towards Blu-ray because their movie choices are better, although their equipment is more expensive. Does anyone have an opinion on either? Any past experiences both positive and/or negative? I heard there is somewhat of a lag when starting up Blu-ray movies, is this true and does HD-DVD have the same issue?
Hands down Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD. I have seen both and am planning to buy the Sony Playstation 3 for its Blu-ray player as well as other supercomputer features. Also it would help if you had a 1080p or at least a 1080i television for optimal viewing pleasure. I kept this opinion simple rather than trying to throw tons numbers out at you. Hope it helps!

By the way the PS3 60G will at $399 on November 2nd. And the PS3 80G is currently set at $499. Go figure a 20G difference for $100. But the benefits, besides the Blu-ray player, are tremendous than a plain and simple Blu-ray player. FYI, Blu-ray disks have better menu options and are coming down in price as we speak! (You get what you pay for!)

Last edited by B Newbie; 10-23-2007 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: Additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics