U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM

1,393 posts, read 882,303 times

Advertisements

i wanted to watch movies on my tv from my computer, so i bought an hdmi cable(full hd 1080 p). i think that might be the problem. im not sure if my tv has 1080p capability. when i connected the cables, it kept saying on my computer screen to "check video cable", and nothing on the TV. i made sure it was connected properly to the right input on the tv, but i got no luck. my tv is a 26'' Sanyo that i bought at the end of 2009. is there anything that i am doing wrong? is it a bad cable, not compatible, or do i need to do something special with the TV or computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM

10,802 posts, read 8,903,016 times
If this is a laptop then you need to hold down the Fn key (usually to the right of Ctrl) and the F key that changes the output from the screen to the TV. If you tap the F key a few times it should switch over.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM

8,410 posts, read 8,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If this is a laptop then you need to hold down the Fn key (usually to the right of Ctrl) and the F key that changes the output from the screen to the TV. If you tap the F key a few times it should switch over.
Just need to give the TV a few seconds to switch over between button presses. It can take a few moments to synch up.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM

1,393 posts, read 882,303 times
it's not a laptop...my monitor has a menu to switch to hdmi/vga but nothing worked. im returning the cable today

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM

22,675 posts, read 17,044,437 times
Do you have a graphics card and if so is the HDMI port located on the card?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,169,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
. im returning the cable today

unless the cable is truly faulty, being labeled "1080p" has nothing to do with your TV not receiving the signal.

If the suggestions by others here have failed, check your resolution settings to make sure its something your TV can accept.

also, are you trying to connect your TV and monitor at the same time? there are settings that need to be adjusted to make this work.

post more info about what equipment you have and how you are trying to connect it. . . .

Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,283,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
unless the cable is truly faulty, being labeled "1080p" has nothing to do with your TV not receiving the signal.

If the suggestions by others here have failed, check your resolution settings to make sure its something your TV can accept.

also, are you trying to connect your TV and monitor at the same time? there are settings that need to be adjusted to make this work.

post more info about what equipment you have and how you are trying to connect it. . . .
I agree with this. I doubt the cable is bad but it is a slight possibility. The most likely problem is you didn't change your monitor settings on your computer to output to the external monitor. You can use the function F whatever key for your computer shortcut, or you can go to device manager, monitors and change the setting there.

Once you set the computer to output to the other monitor via the HDMI output, you need to go to the tv and select the HDMI input to which you connected the cable.

Btw, the only way you will get actual 1080p resolution is if the video you are playing is 1080p which is usually blue ray format. The HDMI cable is just capable of carrying 1080p resolution.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,914,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I agree with this. I doubt the cable is bad but it is a slight possibility. The most likely problem is you didn't change your monitor settings on your computer to output to the external monitor. You can use the function F whatever key for your computer shortcut, or you can go to device manager, monitors and change the setting there.

Once you set the computer to output to the other monitor via the HDMI output, you need to go to the tv and select the HDMI input to which you connected the cable.

Btw, the only way you will get actual 1080p resolution is if the video you are playing is 1080p which is usually blue ray format. The HDMI cable is just capable of carrying 1080p resolution.
^^ That was the first thing I though after reading the OP. I've seen this happen many times. People often remember the output setting on the computer, but forget to change the input setting on the display. I guess we're all used to hooking up a laptop to a projector at work (and usually no input adjustment is necessary).

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM

516 posts, read 603,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
it's not a laptop...my monitor has a menu to switch to hdmi/vga but nothing worked. im returning the cable today
If you were doing this right, the menu on your monitor shouldn't come into play at all. You weren't plugging one end of the cable into the TV and one end into the monitor, were you?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,283,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
If you were doing this right, the menu on your monitor shouldn't come into play at all. You weren't plugging one end of the cable into the TV and one end into the monitor, were you?
I have connected my laptop to two of my HDTV's and on both I had to manually select the correct input in the TV's input menu. The TV doesn't auto-detect the inputs and I don't see how it could as I have several devices connected to them that it could detect (Satellite receiver, xbox, wii, blue ray and then the Laptop).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics