Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,876 times

Advertisements

We have always had cable TV and I know nothing about dish service.

At our new rental, the landlord and the current tenant have a dish. The LL said we could go with cable or dish .... And if we go with cable they will be there to make sure Comcast wires things properly. We have told them that we don't mind going with a dish, if they could call and tell us the difference. They have yet to call back, so I'm asking here.

We do the bundle deal with Internet and cable here (Charter) and have almost all channels, including all of the movie channels on the HD TVs. We have 6 TVs, and 2 of them have HD boxes, with the other TVs just getting the low channels.

Can anyone give me an idea on what Dish costs for all of the channels? Does it work like cable, or if you have Dish, all TVs get all of the channels? Or, is it like cable and some TVs might get everything, and some TVs will be on a lower plan?

Thanks for any and all input!

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Overall Dish is cheaper.
The biggest difference is with Dish you MUST have a box on each TV to get ANY channels. Unlike cable where you can just plug coax into a TV and get a lot of channels without any box.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Overall Dish is cheaper.
The biggest difference is with Dish you MUST have a box on each TV to get ANY channels. Unlike cable where you can just plug coax into a TV and get a lot of channels without any box.
Not necessarily. Dish and DirectTv now have receivers with multiple tuners and they also have band stacking lnbf's/switches which allows them to feed multiple rooms with one receiver. Each room will have a UHF remote that has a unique identifier code for it's particular tuner so that remote operates a specific tuner. They are also capable of recording programs to the DVR and you can then move from room to room and watch it or pause live tv and resume watching in another room when you get situated.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Overall Dish is cheaper.
Cable companies have been dropping the analog channels and encrypting the digital channels. With Comcast you need a box for any TV. They offer ones for free that are really terrible.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Cable companies have been dropping the analog channels and encrypting the digital channels. With Comcast you need a box for any TV. They offer ones for free that are really terrible.
You can still get network channels unscrambled on comcast. I have one TV without a box.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I have a house with a lot of rooms and a lot of TVs. Where I live, cable is cheaper if you have a lot of TVs because it's the same monthly price for 20 connections as for 1 or 2.

I only have a cable box on one TV, and that's just because it was a special DVR deal. All other connections are just right out of the walls.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have a house with a lot of rooms and a lot of TVs. Where I live, cable is cheaper if you have a lot of TVs because it's the same monthly price for 20 connections as for 1 or 2.

I only have a cable box on one TV, and that's just because it was a special DVR deal. All other connections are just right out of the walls.
Karen, that most likely won't be around much longer. They are all moving to digital transmission which doesn't necessarily mean you can't tune those channels with a new TV but what they can do is prevent unauthorized devices. They can drive up profits because people aren't going to question the need for a box.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Overall Dish is cheaper.
So, does the expense start adding up to add all of the boxes? Or, are they included?

Thanks everybody! Jules

Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Yea, there is that "whole house" DVR thing which I am not real familiar with.
Dish used to give you 2 boxes for free and any others over that you had to purchase.
Things have changed.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yea, there is that "whole house" DVR thing which I am not real familiar with.
Dish used to give you 2 boxes for free and any others over that you had to purchase.
Things have changed.
The whole house DVR deal would be cool! I wish the LL would call me back about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics