U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,034,859 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate some advice from the electronic consumer experts on here as i just purchased and recieved from Amazon yesterday a digital camera Canon PowerShot A2200 however i didn't realise that the ''Memory Card'' wasn't part of the camera purchase until i started to ready it for usage.

I did a google search and came up with six types that i can purchase for it ...

HC MMCplus Card
MMCplus Card
MultiMedia Card
SD Memory Card
SDHC Memory Card
SDXC Memory Card

however i'm friggin confused by these different types and so again any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sixx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

2,268 posts, read 1,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixx Foot Three View Post
I'd appreciate some advice from the electronic consumer experts on here as i just purchased and recieved from Amazon yesterday a digital camera Canon PowerShot A2200 however i didn't realise that the ''Memory Card'' wasn't part of the camera purchase until i started to ready it for usage.

I did a google search and came up with six types that i can purchase for it ...

HC MMCplus Card
MMCplus Card
MultiMedia Card
SD Memory Card
SDHC Memory Card
SDXC Memory Card

however i'm friggin confused by these different types and so again any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sixx
Just get an SD card variant. Forget the MultiMedia Cards.

SD, SDHC, SDXC just refer to capacity & performance of the card. Essentially they are just updates. SD being the slower, older, lower capacity models and SDXC being the faster, newer, higher capacity models.

What you want is essentially an SDHC or SDXC with the highest capacity you can afford and the highest class (A little number on the card somewhere indicating speed 2, 4, 6, 8, 10). By speed I mean read and write speed of the card. Transferring 10 GB of photos from a class 2 card will take much longer than a class 10 card of the same variant.

So... Highest capacity and class you can afford.

Note the 10. That is the Class. And then capacity. This one is 48GB. More than enough for random photos.

You'd probably be ok with 32, 16 or 8 GB honestly... No one needs the higher capacities except if shooting RAW photos or HD videos which you probably aren't with that camera.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
The higher performance cards are for people with DSLR's that need to be able to write many pictures per second to the card. That camera you listed is probably slower than the cheap card so it would be like putting a rear spoiler on a Nissan Leaf.

If you look at the spec sheet it will probably recommend what is required for maximum performance which isn't going to be much.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The higher performance cards are for people with DSLR's that need to be able to write many pictures per second to the card. That camera you listed is probably slower than the cheap card so it would be like putting a rear spoiler on a Nissan Leaf.

If you look at the spec sheet it will probably recommend what is required for maximum performance which isn't going to be much.
True true. But you don't buy the old tech to be good enough.

You buy better tech for future upgradeability.

Especially when a 32 GB sdhc can be had for like 10 bucks.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM

1,847 posts, read 4,150,830 times
That's a good point. Get the fastest biggest card you can afford now. So if you get a DSLR you won't need to buy another card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,034,859 times
Thanks a million everyone as i really appreciate your answers and now i have a decient idea how this all works now . O.k. here's what i'm looking at on amazon and so i'd appreciate any thoughts. It's an SDHC Class 10 32 GB. I'll link it up on here if you want to see what i'm looking at specifically.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card 30MB/s SDSDU-032G-AFFP: Electronics

Reason i bought this camera is for posting photos of myself etc. on here and at several other forums that im a member of (people always wanting to know what i look like) and so just real basic usage for now however i'm working on my NASM certification (National Academy Sports Medicine) to which i plan to later on this year create my personal trainer business website to cater to the baby boomers in south florida etc. and so i'll be using it vastly more for my business/website etc. in the coming future.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixx Foot Three View Post
Thanks a million everyone as i really appreciate your answers and now i have a decient idea how this all works now . O.k. here's what i'm looking at on amazon and so i'd appreciate any thoughts. It's an SDHC Class 10 32 GB. I'll link it up on here if you want to see what i'm looking at specifically.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card 30MB/s SDSDU-032G-AFFP: Electronics

Reason i bought this camera is for posting photos of myself etc. on here and at several other forums that im a member of (people always wanting to know what i look like) and so just real basic usage for now however i'm working on my NASM certification (National Academy Sports Medicine) to which i plan to later on this year create my personal trainer business website to cater to the baby boomers in south florida etc. and so i'll be using it vastly more for my business/website etc. in the coming future.
That would be fine. You may want to drop by a Bestbuy though. They may have a sale with decent prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics