U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,529,361 times

Advertisements

My trucking company just installed a new satellite communications device in my cab. I'm still getting used to all of it's functions and know that I will eventually like using it. But the display unit is installed right in the center of my RH dashboard, right in the way of most of the switches I use on a regular basis... It's on a flexible support and it gradually falls from an almost-acceptable position to down over the AM/FM radio and heat/AC/defrost knobs. And as much as we truckers use our lights to "blink, blink/ flash, flash, I have to be really careful that I don't knock the transmisson into "NUETRAL" when I reach for the marker lights.

Anyone else have frustrations with their in-car technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,073,428 times
I keep it real simple...headlights, wipers "n radio. No cell phone, ipod, satellite, navigation or any other distractions. I like to K.I.S.S. because I"m not very bright to begin with. Heck I rarely drive around with the wife in the truck.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

1,957 posts, read 3,367,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I keep it real simple...headlights, wipers "n radio. No cell phone, ipod, satellite, navigation or any other distractions. I like to K.I.S.S. because I"m not very bright to begin with. Heck I rarely drive around with the wife in the truck.
I agree, even a CD player can be too much of a distraction.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,281,136 times
Crew Chief - I hear you - it just irks me to no end when "engineers" or "designers" don't consider the human factor and the environment they are designing for. They should have a schematic of a cab to know what would be the ideal location for an install. Would a swing arm be helpful so that you can get to your controls? Sometimes the most simple solution should be obvious. Good luck!

Oh and BTW - I have a Prius that has the absolute best technology and user interface ever - I love it!!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I agree, even a CD player can be too much of a distraction.
I'm with ya; I DREAD the day my current truck is replaced; all the new ones come with CD players. I believe cassetes, despite being SO last century are much safer to deal with while driving!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Crew Chief - I hear you - it just irks me to no end when "engineers" or "designers" don't consider the human factor and the environment they are designing for. They should have a schematic of a cab to know what would be the ideal location for an install. Would a swing arm be helpful so that you can get to your controls? Sometimes the most simple solution should be obvious. Good luck!

Oh and BTW - I have a Prius that has the absolute best technology and user interface ever - I love it!!
Hi Jhlcomp! It's a nice unit but I wonder if they ever rode with one of our drivers before they bought this setup... Our previous satcomms were on a cord and could be placed in a plastic carrier in front of the passenger's seat. Perhaps too many drivers took their frustrations with dispatch out on the satcomm unit by throwing it! Actually, I've seen a couple of neat carriers for PC's in trucks that could be adapted; one attaches to the passenger's seat and the other could mount to a dashboard or the back wall of our day cab tractors. Our fleet is mostly Freightliner and they just released a new tractor called the "Cascadia". It looks nice from the outside photos I've seen. Perhaps the dashboard was redesigned with a unit like our new satcomm in mind; I sure hope so! I really like the possibilities this new unit brings; email, videos for training and anything else; immediate emergency contact with dispatch, reporting our various tasks; the possibilities are endless! (We also have cameras for the right fender and the monitor for that is right above the dash; sure makes "dashboard dining" more challenging...)

Glad you like your Prius; I've had many of them pass me!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,711,463 times
I usually just get frustrated at the person trying to operate the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics