U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,230,985 times

Advertisements

Looks like I most likely will be going back to work in the next couple months. Kind of excited, but mostly worried. I have a husband that has MS that will be home. His disease has spiraled downwards VERY fast with no sign of slowing so I don't like the thought of him home alone, but financially there's no other option.

To help me relax some I'd like to have a phone line in the house for him. When I lost my job we cut back to a single cell phone and shared it and it's worked fine. But now he needs something that he can use if there's an emergency. I do plan on having a caregiver sit with him but know there will be times he will still be alone as I'm shopping or if I work late, etc.

After looking on line it seems like VOIP is about the least expensive. I found NetTalk Duo that has some really good reviews. $50 includes the piece you plug in the computer / router as well as your first year's service, after which it's $30 per year. So first question is does anyone have first hand experience with this service?

Next is trying to find a phone. I'd initially wanted a base corded unit that I can put on his bedside table. Something with big buttons, that has the photo buttons for pre-programmed numbers, etc. A feature to easily turn off the ringer would be great as he naps daily. Also a flashing light when it does ring for the times he forgets to turn the ringer back on.

But it looks like with the NetTalk that the phone has to plug directly into the computer which is on the other side of the room. Most days if he's in bed it's because he's not physically able to move. Which means he wouldn't be able to get to the phone. So a cordless is what we have to have so he can keep it by him. But I'm having a heck of a time finding a cordless phone with those features.

Anyone know of a reliable big button cordless that would be good for someone with some hearing loss, some vision impairment that's VERY simple to use as he has some cognitive issues going on as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Have you looked into Vonage?

It's more expensive then NetTalk Duo or Magic Jack @ $25/mo (NetTalk Duo = Magic Jack).
But you don't have to connect it to your pc, and you can use any kind of phone with it.
Vonage Home Phone Service | Residential & Business VoIP Calling Plans

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,906 posts, read 33,648,732 times
Free Home Phone Service | Ooma

$150 for the device to plug your phone into. Costs about $4 a month for the service, depending on taxes and fees imposed by your state.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 64,759 times
I have used OOMA for 2 years. It works great. The online voice-mail site is a little bland. But it works well.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,422,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you looked into Vonage?

It's more expensive then NetTalk Duo or Magic Jack @ $25/mo (NetTalk Duo = Magic Jack).
But you don't have to connect it to your pc, and you can use any kind of phone with it.
Vonage Home Phone Service | Residential & Business VoIP Calling Plans
Magic Jack doesn't have to be connected to your PC anymore either. They came out with an updated device not too long ago where you could connect it to your router.

Ooma is one to check out as well. It's a one time purchase and then you get the service free for lifetime (or the lifetime that Ooma is in business... whichever happens first, lol!)

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM

15,474 posts, read 19,695,589 times
Ironically, I received an email just this morning from a friend who is also disabled and on a strict budget, to tell me about his new phone set up. He's not a very techy guy, but I've heard very positive things about the MajicJack 2 from other sources as well. Good luck, and God Bless.

Quote:
Just an F.Y.I. if you still use Att, or any other house phone traditional service. You probably have heard a million advertisements for "Magic Jack 2". Walmart makes their own version of it called "Net Talk Duo 2". You can only buy it on line. The big difference is the price. Magic Jack 2 sells for about $75. The Walmart version sells for $49.98! What is great about this new VOiP is that you can hook it up through your router, if you have one. It does not interfere with computer(s) in any way. I have a 4 way printer wireless through my router. I plugged the Duo into my router, and ran a phone wire from my printer to the nearest phone jack. Now all the phone jacks in the house connect directly to the Duo 2. They charge $29.75 for the service per year, if you register the Duo 2. The good thing about registering it, you can have the same phone number you have used at home for years, moved over free to the Duo 2. It works great!

NetTalk Duo Phone - Walmart.com

Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,430,337 times
I use Google Voice (free) and a $40 Obi100 device (from Amazon) after learning about it on this thread.
Google Voice is free through the end of 2013. Not sure what will happen after that, may be a small fee for use.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

85 posts, read 234,422 times
Whatever you get, make sure your service has 911 service, or buy 911 service from a third party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics