U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,137,026 times

Advertisements

LOUD TV commercials, I thought this was supposed to end last December?
I have always hated the blare of sound that comes out of no where. We need to complain to the proper official governing branch about this not happening. Anyone know were to do this? I used to, but forgot.
I also once found a device that did this for us, anyone have experience with one of these, it would be a definite plus to get one that worked right like they propose they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,944,316 times
Complain to the FCC.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM

14,491 posts, read 21,321,855 times
Default Go here

File Complaint | FCC.gov

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,872,609 times
You really thought that was going to work? You are naive. It is a law with no power and no backbone. Until you can supply those in power with more money that the ones with the loud commercials nothing will be done. Our political system runs on money. Period.

I've read explanations about how the local stations can't control the national commercial sound levels because blah, blah, blah -- bull****.

If the radio in my car can change it's volume to match the level of noise in the car then the local stations can do the same. All they have to do is monitor the sound coming out of the speaker in a TV sitting in their office and let the same technology adjust the volume to match the average volume of the show that was just on.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM

40,852 posts, read 42,265,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the radio in my car can change it's volume to match the level of noise in the car then the local stations can do the same.
There is two things though, volume on your knob and the amplification in the track.

Here is Pink Floyds "Cluster One" where the amplification slowly builds over the entire track.

This would be the equivalent of your really loud TV commercial, Mettalica's "Master of Puppets" off of S&M which is the loudest CD I ever heard.

This over amplification is actually a big issue in the music industry but that's for another topic, this is also why MP3's have different levels of volume. Normalizing the sound level on the Metallica track doesn't present any issues however when you start doing it to the Pink Floyd track you're actually altering how the song was intended to be presented.

Most TV's and other devices have some sort of may to normalize the sound level, the issue becomes is it's not just applied to commercials and if you're watching a show that is using sound artistically which most do then you lose the edge off of it. e.g. that loud explosion during a quiet scene no longer makes you jump a little.

TV stations could just apply normalization to commercials but many commercials are using sound artistically, they aren't jacking up the amplification just to make it sound loud...

Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
TVs can already lower volume during commercials using auto volume leveling. Rather than passing regulation (or complain to the FCC) to limit what a private business can do, why not just use a TV with auto volume leveling if it bothers you?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 AM

40,852 posts, read 42,265,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
TVs can already lower volume during commercials using auto volume leveling. Rather than passing regulation (or complain to the FCC) to limit what a private business can do, why not just use a TV with auto volume leveling if it bothers you?
They can but then they screw up the program you're watching. The TV I have in my bedroom I beleive compresses the audio instead of normalizing it, I'll get a channel I can barely hear what the hell the are saying even with the volume pumped up. Ususally 7 to 10 out 30 is loud enough depending on the channel but I have to turn it up all the way with the compression and it's still not very clear what they are saying. The voices get drowned out by music or other background sounds.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 2,736 times
I haven't noticed any louder commercials personally.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,872,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNekkidCity View Post
I haven't noticed any louder commercials personally.
Interesting. I'm partially deaf and I notice them.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM

5,040 posts, read 14,747,977 times
I noticed a slight decrease after the regulation/law was passed. But now, there is a certain car dealership whose commercials are blaring loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics