Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,614 times

Advertisements

I will admit that I am a complete noob on the whole tablet thing. No idea what rooting or jelly bean means at all. I'm looking for something that my wife and my 2 yr old can use for entertainment on trips and around the house. We're not looking to replace a laptop or pc nor with it nor have it serves as some central home entertainment master remote. Main usages would be to surf the web, watch some movie files that we can uploaded onto it, and have Skype sessions. Thinking we want to go with a 10 in screen. There are a multitude of options out there and am utterly overwhelmed. Don't think I want to go the IPad route, but (of course) want something reliable. Don't need nor want cellular services with it, will use wi-fi only. Any thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Do you really NEED a tablet if you already have a laptop? Early threads have pointed out some alleged benefits of a tablet over a laptop. A lot of money to spend on something, especially for an essentially completely different operating systems (Android vs Windows), and limited marginal benefits.

However if you insist, avoid apple and stick to Android.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,614 times
My laptop is pretty big, it's a Lenovo B570 (15.6" screen). Not good for portability nor for a 2-yr old to use especially on car rides.

I'm struggling with Nook, Kindle, Tab, Sero, blah, blah, blah.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
One of my kids got a kindle fire from her grandparents. I think it could not access Google Play? We returned it. Got her a Samsung Tab 2 (it is 7 inches). I think there is a 10 inch version. I would go that route. OR, better yet, I would just get a smaller laptop, like a 10 inch laptop with Win 7.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
There's a subforum just for tablets - lots of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
I will admit that I am a complete noob on the whole tablet thing. No idea what rooting or jelly bean means at all. I'm looking for something that my wife and my 2 yr old can use for entertainment on trips and around the house. We're not looking to replace a laptop or pc nor with it nor have it serves as some central home entertainment master remote. Main usages would be to surf the web, watch some movie files that we can uploaded onto it, and have Skype sessions. Thinking we want to go with a 10 in screen. There are a multitude of options out there and am utterly overwhelmed. Don't think I want to go the IPad route, but (of course) want something reliable. Don't need nor want cellular services with it, will use wi-fi only. Any thoughts and suggestions? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Think of Jelly Bean as Windows 7. It is just the latest version of the operating system.
The next version will be called Key Lime Pie. Think of that as Windows 8 (only good).
My recommendation would be: a Jelly Bean tablet from one of the major players which are
Sony, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo or Toshiba.

As has been said much more info in the tablet forum.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There's a subforum just for tablets - lots of info.
If you're going to point out the fact that they posted in the wrong forum it would be nice to provide a link to the proper one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tablets/

Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
I just ordered a second D2-912 pad from Walmart for $100. (My DW began coveting mine) 9" screen, cheap enough that if it gets lost or broken it isn't a problem, and with the screen brightness turned down some it has a decent run time. It isn't perfect, but at that price I'm willing to forgive a glitch or two. It is a nice size for reading ebooks in bed at night - not too small, not too big.

Hopefully YAC or another mod will move the thread.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you really NEED a tablet if you already have a laptop? Early threads have pointed out some alleged benefits of a tablet over a laptop. A lot of money to spend on something, especially for an essentially completely different operating systems (Android vs Windows), and limited marginal benefits.

However if you insist, avoid apple and stick to Android.
Different operating system is not a problem. You use tablets to view things, not create things. It would be like complaining that your mp3 player or cell phone does not run windows. For an consumer sticking to the same operating system increases the likelyhood that hardware and software from the previous system will work with the new and that new versions of said software will likely be created for the new operating system.

With a tablet that is kind of a non issuse as you are not planning to replace your computer and about the only thing you might want is ability to print and even then printer manufactures often have printer apps for the tablet. The benifit is much greater portability. Even a ten inch laptop has an keyboard and that both adds a little weight and bulkiness to to device while offering little in return(typing on small keyboards is a chore) and doing any work with a small screen likewise(I.e. if I want to do work I will use a laptop with at least a 12 inch and preferably a 15 inch screen.).

Most people view Apple's OS as easier to use than Andriod but I use an kindle. Small enough to tuck easily away yet still large enough to view movies on and not that expensive.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
Anyone have any input on these two samsung?

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (32GB, Deep Grey): Electronics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics