U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,444,434 times

Advertisements

Muchos Gracias! I don't know about anyone else...but not grasping onto this TV stuff is making me feel old! Everytime I add another component to my HDTV...the connections multiply exponentially!

Last edited by jfkIII; 11-09-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,799,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Muchos Gracias! I don't know about anyone else...but not grasping onto this TV stuff is making me feel old! Everytime I add another component to my HDTV...the connections multiply exponentially!
When my wife looks behind our wall unit and sees all the cables and wires she looks at me and says "you know where every wire and cable goes" and I say "yes, along with knowing what each of the 276 buttons on my 6 remotes are for" It's funny when I was growing up in the 50's I was the T.V. remote. My father would tell me get up and put channel 11 on and that's what I did. 2 minutes later he would say get up and make the T.V. louder. I guess my dad was way ahead of his time

Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,073,912 times
hahaha .... kids were the original remote control

i like that!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,379,499 times
Oh one other thing. Next time you're at Best Buy or Circuit City, ask the guy selling the stuff what kind of cable their displays use. Remember, they're going for optimal appearance and look to make a sale, you would think they would use the Monster Cable right? Oh, and one last thing. The employees at Best Buy do not work on commission, that is a true statement. However, there is a hefty amount of pressure put on the saleperson to offer the "entire solution" to someone so that they are satisfied.

Although most of the salespeople are quite knowledgeable as far as technology is concerned, many of them learn things from the company. At one time I pushed the gold cables because I thought they were a better quality item because that's what the company told me.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,444,434 times
Just a follow-up to this post...the $29 HDMI cables work absolutely fine!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just a follow-up to this post...the $29 HDMI cables work absolutely fine!
Glad to hear it!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,676,830 times
I ordered my 6 foot HDMI cables from PCOutlet.com. I paid $10.76 including shipping. I have a 32 inch Panasonic LCD tv and the cables work great.

Wish I'd have known all the info about Monster cables before I bought all the cables for my stereo/entertainment system about 7 years ago. Probably would've save a gruntload of money.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,012,787 times
One advantage of gold plated connections is that they resist corrosion a bit better that some other metals. So if you're installing the HDTV on a sea-going vessel routinely exposed to salt water, you're all set :>

Seriously, in addition to the previous link, check out monoprice.com. I got 3 cables shipped for less that the "cheap" store bought cables, and yes, they work fine.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
One advantage of gold plated connections is that they resist corrosion a bit better that some other metals. So if you're installing the HDTV on a sea-going vessel routinely exposed to salt water, you're all set :>

Seriously, in addition to the previous link, check out monoprice.com. I got 3 cables shipped for less that the "cheap" store bought cables, and yes, they work fine.
Ah yes, the old corrosion factor. Quite honestly, if you look at the jacks on the back of your TV, receiver, stereo, etc... they are typically not gold. Now, although gold does resist corrosion, different metals in the presence of heat (to include gold) can still cause corrosion. There's a chart that shows what materials are "compatible" with one another as far as anodic and cathodic corrosion are concerned. Gold in the presence of a metal on the opposite end of the chart will still cause corrosion of the opposite metal (not necessarily the gold). It's called galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember back when I used to work as a computer technician, people would bring in computers all the time in which they had installed gold plated memory chips into slots that had tin contacts. Over time, and with heat, when you pulled those chips out you'd see all kinds of white powdery stuff. It can and will cause problems over the course of time. Personally, gold doesn't serve any better advantage over corrosion then a standard cable you buy over the internet if both the receptacle and cable are not gold. In fact, for corrosion purposes, the standard cable is probably closer to the actual "base" metal of the contacts on your equipment to begin with.

Quite honestly, the gold cables are the biggest farcical selling point that these retailers have. I used to get sick to my stomach when I was told I had to offer them as part of the "ultimate solution" to users.

Here's the chart by the way in case people are interested:

http://www.hazmat-alternatives.com/images/Galvanic_Series_Chart.jpg (broken link)

Keep in mind that the farther two metals are from one another on the chart, the greater potential for corrosion that exists. Also, this has been more of a lesson in corrosion than AV equipment so I'm sorry for that. Quite honestly, the AV equipment in your home probably does not conduct enough electricity (through the jacks and cables) nor generate enough heat to ever really produce full scale galvanic corrosion. Although, I do suspect over time you would find some sort of corrosion depending on other conditions.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,257 times
Am I blind? I dont see Gold on there.

Also, more and more equipment is being built with gold plated connectors, on the internal level, such that the entire connection from the cable through to the electronics boards on the hardware is gold, or other 'noble' metals.

Edit: for the unawares (aka me) your chart doesn't easily explain which side is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics