U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM

13,819 posts, read 25,436,827 times

Advertisements

I just bought an HD-DVD player for my HDTV. I know I'll see better quality if I go with HDMI cables than the ones they supplied (non-HDMI). So, somone mentions Monster brand HDMI cables as the the best. Very expensive...$69.95 for 1m cable. I then find a $29 Philips HDMI cable at a local big-box store.

So...why the variation in price? Why the different ratings? I have a 720p 40" Sony Bravia HDTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 PM

93 posts, read 300,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I just bought an HD-DVD player for my HDTV. I know I'll see better quality if I go with HDMI cables than the ones they supplied (non-HDMI). So, somone mentions Monster brand HDMI cables as the the best. Very expensive...$69.95 for 1m cable. I then find a $29 Philips HDMI cable at a local big-box store.

So...why the variation in price? Why the different ratings? I have a 720p 40" Sony Bravia HDTV.
If they work, absolutely nothing. The signal is entirely digitally encoded.

There may be some difference in shielding, though... *IF* that's the case, the "better" cables may hold signal over longer lengths before losing integrity, but unless you're looking for very long cable lengths, that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,754 times
The monster cables say the are gold plated for better connectivity. Whether they are or not I have no clue. I don't have any HD toys so I don't really look.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,794,528 times
Oddly enough I was just speaking to a friend of mine about a week ago about this question. I am a bit of an audiophile and had similar questions when I first started buying components with HDMI, DVI and component video. I remember reading an article about speaker wire. An independent lab tetsed some major speaker wire manufacturers against regular lamp cord and the results were amazing. Seems like the lamp cord out performed some of the high end speaker wire. I will say this. I am a big fan of a Home Theater power centers. There are many manufacturers of power equipment (Panamax, Monster etc.) and I believe they serve an important part in your setup. If you have a lot of money invested in your system I highly reccommend it. I'm adding a link that gives you a low down on HDMI cables. Good luck to you.

The Cable Game

Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
I needed a HDMI cable not too long ago, and saw the expensive ones you are talking about. Then I looked at a HDMI cable for a M.S. X-Box, and this one was shorter in length, but cost $29.00. I bought this one instead.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
ha, we were in the same position just a month or so ago. We just bought the middle grade one. The most expensive one ... $70 for 1 meter like yours ... was just ridiculous! I think we ended up buying a 3meter or so one for around $50

Old 11-09-2007, 04:57 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,376,176 times
I used to work at Best Buy when I was a teenager. One of the things that our sales managers wanted us to push the most was the gold plated Monster cables. I always felt guilty about doing this because in actuality there is no real difference. First, you have to realize that although gold may be a superior conductor, it's not very often that the output jack (or input jack) is going to be gold in the first place. So, your overall output (and/or input) isn't going to change. What may be true is that over a long distance the Monster cables may have a better shielding to them but typically we're talking about 6-10 feet. That's hardly enough length for any sort of degradation in audio/video quality.

Next, I'd like to let everyone know that our employee discont at Best Buy was 5% over cost. i.e- We paid 5% more than what the company paid for the cables. I remember when the gold plated USB Monster cables came out they were $39.99. Our cost.... a little over five bucks. The standard cable that was half the price? Also... a little over five bucks. So if that's any indication take it as you will. Now, every time I go to the store and see the price of cables I cringe because I know they are making pure profit off of them. Just think, every time the company sells one, they are making around $60 profit.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,794,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I used to work at Best Buy when I was a teenager. One of the things that our sales managers wanted us to push the most was the gold plated Monster cables. I always felt guilty about doing this because in actuality there is no real difference. First, you have to realize that although gold may be a superior conductor, it's not very often that the output jack (or input jack) is going to be gold in the first place. So, your overall output (and/or input) isn't going to change. What may be true is that over a long distance the Monster cables may have a better shielding to them but typically we're talking about 6-10 feet. That's hardly enough length for any sort of degradation in audio/video quality.

Next, I'd like to let everyone know that our employee discont at Best Buy was 5% over cost. i.e- We paid 5% more than what the company paid for the cables. I remember when the gold plated USB Monster cables came out they were $39.99. Our cost.... a little over five bucks. The standard cable that was half the price? Also... a little over five bucks. So if that's any indication take it as you will. Now, every time I go to the store and see the price of cables I cringe because I know they are making pure profit off of them. Just think, every time the company sells one, they are making around $60 profit.
I'll add to your post. Yes gold is a great conductor however that gold plated conducter does not lead to a gold core wire (it's probably copper) so the gold plated connectors that are silver soldered to a copper core are probably a moot point. I agree that proper shielding is probably essential especially in situations where the homeowner has all his component wires zip tied in a nice neat little bundle behind his A/V rack along with all the power cords. I have a very good friend that was a wholesale manager for a large electronics firm that is now out of business who used to get me components at cost. I could not believe the difference between store prices and the price he gave me. The markup was incredible in some cases.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,436,827 times
Thanks to all....you've been so helpful. I'll be hooking the $29 cable up this weekend and will report back on the quality.

Sigh...remember when the only choice for TV's was whether you wanted Color or B&W???!!!! The instruction book that came with the HD-DVD player is, literally, the size of a freakin' magazine!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The instruction book that came with the HD-DVD player is, literally, the size of a freakin' magazine!
Oh it's deceiving ... the 2nd half is the Spanish version! heeheee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics