U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,436,827 times

Advertisements

Many of you techies here have been so helpful. Much easier to find help when specifics are presented.

Here's my equipment:
- Cable Input to Motorola Cable box with DVR
- SONY HDTV (2 HDMI inputs)
- Toshiba HD-DVD player
- SONY Audio Theater System (HT-SS2000) - on order.

Current setup:
1) Coaxial cable input to cable box.
2) HDMI-HDMI connection from cable box to HDTV (HDMI Input1)
3) HDMI-HDMI connection from DVD player to HDTV (HDMI Input2)

Everything is working great (all settings properly coordinated)

Question: How will the connections all go when the Theater System (Audio Only) arrives? (note: I plan to use iPod Media Dock)

Home Theater Inputs & Outputs:
(0) S-video inputs
(0) S-video outputs
(0) Number of component video inputs
(0) Component video outputs
(0) Composite video inputs
(3) HDMI inputs
(1) HDMI outputs
(1) Number of digital coaxial inputs
(2) Digital audio (TOSLINK) inputs
(3) Stereo audio inputs
iPod compatible Yes

Thanks (in advance!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,195,924 times
If I understand it correctly - currently, you'd have to switch the input selector on the HDTV based on the source you want to watch (DVD Player or Cable). Once the HTS arrives, you would use that as your "main" controller if you have enough inputs (and if cable/DVD are the only things you have.. you'll have plenty). In essence, you will connect your input devices (DVD/CABLE BOX) to your HTS receiver, and use one of the HDMI outputs to your HDTV.

The only think that goes to your TV now will be the video (I'm assuming you have speaker on your HDTV that you use now?). The audio will be processed by your receiver and out to the speakers. The iPOD will simply be another input to your receiver. The switch will now be done at the receiver (TV/DVD/MUSIC etc..). You can even add your PS3 or XBOX360 to the 3rd HDMI input as well.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,436,827 times
Wow great. So, if I understand it correctly...

1) The HDMI from cable box will go to HTS (HDMI1 input port);
2) The HDMI from DVD player will go to HTS (HDMI2 input port);
3) An HDMI cable from HTS (HDMI output) to TV (HDMI1 input port).

In essence, the HTS will pass the video component to the TV (from both cable box & DVD player, separately) thru its one HDMI output and intercept the sound component (from either) for output to it's speakers?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

In essence, the HTS will pass the video component to the TV (from both cable box & DVD player, separately) thru its one HDMI output and intercept the sound component (from either) for output to it's speakers?
If you don't know the answer, give Crutchfield a call. Their technicians and sales persons are very helpful, and will tell you free of charge.

As far as I understand, and at least with the receiver I have, I can connect 2 HD components to it, and the output goes to the TV via the HDMI cable. The receiver switches to the correct component. For example, if I just want to listen to music from the record player, it switches to it, and the music is sent to the speakers. The one I have has two HDMI inputs, but it also allows for analog component switching to digital.

It sounds like you got the connections right.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

You got it. Your HTS receiver is basically the Central HUB now... it takes all the inputs and direct it to the proper outputs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics