U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM

15,487 posts, read 19,730,065 times

Advertisements

We want to drop TWC landline services (which is Voip). We do not want to go with only cellular (husband is hard of hearing). We will be keeping TWC 15 mpbs internet service. I'm looking at various Voip providers.

We need to port our current landline phone number. This eliminates a few, including Omi100 and googlevoice.

Our modem and wireless router are located in a closet in the center of our home. This was wired up by the contractor hired by our construction company just 6 months ago. We have a Panasonic Dect 6.0 base cordless basephone with 3 additional cordless handsets. The basephone and the handsets are all located in rooms - not in the closet with the modem. The basephone is plugged into a phone jack in the wall.

I am having trouble figuring out how I can set up a Voip. Most of them seem to require a hardwire connection from the modem to the Voip unit (like Ooma), and another hardwire going to the basephone.

I'm not super techy, but if you keep the explanation simple, I can understand it, I think.

TIA.

Can anybody help me out here? I cannot move the modem or wi-fi, nor do I want wires running all over the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM

24,503 posts, read 36,012,947 times
I like, and use, OOMA. Typically, you connect the OOMA box to your router and then you plug the Pany base into the OOMA box. Since your router is in the closet, a better solution for you might be to use some sort of wireless bridge or powerline network bridge to connect your OOMA box to the router.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM

15,487 posts, read 19,730,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I like, and use, OOMA. Typically, you connect the OOMA box to your router and then you plug the Pany base into the OOMA box. Since your router is in the closet, a better solution for you might be to use some sort of wireless bridge or powerline network bridge to connect your OOMA box to the router.
I'm sorry, but can you link me to the wireless bridge or powerline network bridge that you are talking about? Ooma online chat wasn't able to offer a solution.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,564,412 times
"some sort of" means they probably don't have a product in mind

For "powerline network bridge" they mean something like this:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 500 Mbps Compact Powerline Ethernet AV Adapter Kit (TPL-406E2K): Electronics

you plug one into the wall near your router, then one somewhere else in the house (wherever you want your phone). Plug the ethernet cable from your router into the adapter, then get another ethernet cable and plug one end into the phone, the other into the second adapter. The adapters connect to each other using your power lines in your house.

I'm not sure if that works if the two outlets are on different breakers, you'd need to read up on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics