U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,490,329 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is sort of a low-tech question, but ... I've had this portable DVD player for either one year or two years, maybe 1.5 years. I use it constantly to watch my netflix while I'm doing other things. It's been acting up lately and it just fell on the floor (*someone* tripped on the cord) and now I think it's done, sort of can't read my dvds. Does this sound like a reasonable lifespan for one of these, not worth fixing? It seems to be vulnerable because of the way the lens is exposed, dust goes right in, etc.? Let's not talk about the falling on the floor ...

[Since it looks like I need a new one, any good brands out there?]

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:32 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,898,893 times
Most of my dvd players have lasted about as long as the warranty period. What is that, like a year or two? I don't find that they are worth fixing. I get ones that are reasonably priced and I don't expect them to last forever.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 8,201,672 times
I doubt it... those things are what.. $70 these days? Someone will probably charge you $50 + materials to fix it. Assuming it can actually be fixed.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,506,363 times
I purchased a great, small Insignia DVD player at Best Buy for $27. They even had a cheaper model or 2, but this one looked a bit more sturdily made. I'm rather clumsy anyway due to walking around my house banging into inanimate objects sans corrective eyewear, but as I'm in the middle of renovations, a bit more than average seems to be getting dropped, stepped on, broken, lost or transitioned to the Otherworld lately.

It's about 6-mos old, I've never had a problem with it (because I conveniently tucked the cord away from my workboots & used duct tape underneath it to secure it to the table) & it even has a remote with many features I didn't expect with such a modestly priced electronic. It's working very nicely & since I only watch Netflix also, I'm very happy with it. I too, seem to have electronics that last only throughout the warranty period, though my own fault, however, so I always purchase inexpensive replacements. I go through a portable CD or cassette player & 2 sets of earphones every 1 to 1-1/2 yrs because I often walk on the beach or renovate while "wearing" it & inevitably drop it 1/2-dozen times before it decides not to forgive me.

I never felt any of these things conked out through continual usage, only through my capacity to lummox through my house doing too many things at one time. I'm seriously thinking of buying 2 long strips of velcro, 1 for the CD player & 1 for my jacket, so I can walk & not drop my secured player, but I thought I'd look silly. Then while walking yesterday, I was passed by so many potbellied, round folks in tight stretch pants & pink fanny packs (men & women), that I think I'll give it a try.

Best Buy is reasonable & if there's no store near you, you can purchase online. Good luck...

Oh, since yours often break, seriously, several rolled-up pieces of duct tape on the underside of the electronic will secure it into place. Even when I've stepped on the cord, it was just wrenched out of the power strip, rather than from the table to the floor.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

312 posts, read 986,198 times
There's no reasonable lifespan of portable DVD players. I guess it just depends on the quality of the brand (check online reviews) and how well you take care of it.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,594,146 times
My daughter and I bought the same $39 DVD player the same day. Mine only lasted about a year and hers lasted about 2 years. Mine was hardly used, hers was used a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics