U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,346 times

Advertisements

Can bluetooth technology be applied in media players such as mp3 players to allow file sharing?handphones have bluetooth technology installed. can bluetooth technology be applied in other media players such as mp3 players to allow file sharing between users? any examples and details?

Moderator Cut: advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 11-17-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 AM

268 posts, read 1,068,968 times
Bluetooth is a type of wireless communications technology...think short distance radio waves, or like a cordless telephone. I'm not the most technology savvy person, but I don't think a comms technology like Bluetooth is robust enough to handle file sharing and file tranfers.

But, you've got a great idea. I think the technology that you are thinking of is a type of infrared. Remember back in the day of Palm Pilots before Blackberry's took over the world? You could "zap" information and files back and forth between a computer and the Palm Pilot. Some cell phones used to have infrared too, and you could zap contact info back and forth between the two phones. Most laptops still have infrared built in. If you have one, look for a little retangle that is a dark, dark red (almost black) and looks like it might be made of glass or smooth plastic. That is the infrared, and you can file share between two devices that have that.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 AM

268 posts, read 1,068,968 times
I just looked up some more information about Bluetooth. It is quite robust and can handle high speed wireless connections between computers. However, I still don't think it's the best solution for file sharing among mp3 players since Bluetooth is a bit cumbersome to setup unless you will only be file sharing between a fixed set of mp3 players. I still think infrared would be the best technology to support your idea.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 AM

17 posts, read 58,509 times
Default bluetooth

It is my understanding the CD and MP3 players are in stores now/Bluetooth is just wireless techknowlege. Kodak was using it for their picture makers long ago, now it is common. Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,410,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
Bluetooth is a type of wireless communications technology...think short distance radio waves, or like a cordless telephone. I'm not the most technology savvy person, but I don't think a comms technology like Bluetooth is robust enough to handle file sharing and file tranfers.

But, you've got a great idea. I think the technology that you are thinking of is a type of infrared. Remember back in the day of Palm Pilots before Blackberry's took over the world? You could "zap" information and files back and forth between a computer and the Palm Pilot. Some cell phones used to have infrared too, and you could zap contact info back and forth between the two phones. Most laptops still have infrared built in. If you have one, look for a little retangle that is a dark, dark red (almost black) and looks like it might be made of glass or smooth plastic. That is the infrared, and you can file share between two devices that have that.
That's one of the many reasons I have a phone wich runs the PALM Operating system. I can exchange contact info wirelessly between my phone and another Palm os device. I can also use the infrared port to open our electronic lockboxes if I want to, and so on. Blackberrys have no "ir port" !
However - Infrared and bluetooth are different (although releted) technologies. The lockboxes and my Palm Treo phone use thier ir ports. My earpiece (no, I'm not one of those nerds who wears one around all the time ...yet... )uses Bluetooth, and I use it primarily in the car.
David Beckett

Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM

4,603 posts, read 8,205,083 times
Bluetooth can handle it from a technology standpoint. What you are suggesting though becomes a "copyright" issue. Also consider the security ramifications of this.... as a communications medium, bluetooth can be hacked these days fairly easily. The lack of understanding by users makes thing worse - many people have their devices set to respond any other devices....

As a consumer, we may not care, but I'm sure the RIAA and the folks in the music industry will not take a liking to this idea.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 AM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
you can use bluetooth to file share, my razr2 had 2gb of storage, i was able to send any song to a friend with a bluetooth capable phone, and it sent a 4-6mb song in about a min or less, so its possible now the issue then becomes if the phone turns into a flash drive instead just pressing a button on the pc and it registers the phone and you can exchange data thats the security issue

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

620 posts, read 1,884,489 times
Point of clarification:

Bluetooth is an open wireless protocol IEEE 802.15.1
Wi-Fi is a certified wireless protocol IEEE 802.11

Wi-Fi is intended as a replacement for cabling for general LAN access.
Bluetooth is a replacement for cabling as a wireless alternative to RS232 data cables.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you are referring to is a wireless personal area network or WPAN (sometimes called a piconet). It can be done. Software would have to be added to the mp3 device for implementation. It is not likely that manufacturers of mp3 and video players will make it easy to do, because of previously mentioned copyright issues. If there is freedom to exchange copied music and video files between random individuals, then control of copyrighted material goes out the window. No manufacturer wants to be the one to get sued by the RIAA for putting the copying genie into the hands of millions of teens and pre-teens around the world.

The technology for WPANs is in its infancy. Stay tuned. Further development is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics