U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM

7,416 posts, read 16,902,653 times

Advertisements

"What ever happened to the good days?".........gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I agree with this thread TOTALLY!

I dislike all this newer technology,its TOO SMALL and HARD TO USE......

I prefer the bigger stuff we had in the 80s,etc.......

What ever happend to the good days??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,342,613 times
I'm programmer by trade and I'm baffled by this whole cellphone thing. My wife hands me hers and tells me to call someone and I have ask her how to turn it on.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM

18,576 posts, read 55,502,062 times
A few years back I made a decision to stop trying to learn all the idiosyncratic interfaces and features of computers and cellphones. It was getting ridiculous, I would just finish learning all the features of a device and it would stop working or be obsolete. Then I was supposed to rinse lather and repeat with a new object. I said "no thanks."

There is a lot of validity in the argument that when things get too complex, failure is inevitable. I actually got to a point with one of my programs where the various self-correction algorithms for errors caused by hardware issues started to interact and make the program less stable.

Another valid argument against sophisticated technology is that the interfaces are poorly designed, inconsistent, and non-intuitive. With Microsoft operating systems add increasing obfuscation to that mix. With an aging population, and increasing cases of dementia, ever more complex systems mean that those folks will be forced out of the active world even sooner than they are now.

The problem isn't just in equipment. It has permeated everyday life. Honesty tests and drug tests are required by employers. Those tests are complex enough, and exclusive enough, that they begin to demand employment only of the most honest and compliant of the honest compliant portion of the population. As the selectivity narrows, increasing numbers will end up unemployable.

Complexity, the way it is being used today, means increasing restriction. If some government lackeys were to have there way, it would be illegal for a cow to have a calf unless it was registered by a government agency. Is that sophisticated? In a way, I suppose it is. Is it sane? I don't think so.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,157,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The Computer: Easy to use or a "pain-in-the-neck"/headache? Afraid of them or "computer friendly"? Use one at work and at home? What would happen if we no longer had the use of computers and had to go back to the old way....writing in books/cardex (Accounting, Inventory etc.) and using a typewriter for Reports at work?
I'm old enough to have been taught mechanical drafting with a lead holder, a triangle, and a drafting machine (a t-square in high school). I had used my manual skills on the job early in my career.

Now I draft using sophisticated computer software. Good training, reference manuals, and plain old experience helped me develop my skills.

If I had to go back to manual drafting? Well, my skills have deteriorated. It would take a while to get them back, if ever. Also, they wouldn't be the same as if I spent a lifetime at it.

Sometimes, I regret not maintaining my manual skills because I have seen some old timers out there who did brilliant work by hand. I would have loved to produce work like they did.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Mini DVD Disc Video Camcorder
That improves convenience but at the expense of quality. Ironic but tape is still king simply because you can store 14GB of data on single miniDV tape and it has such a high data transfer rate.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I'm programmer by trade and I'm baffled by this whole cellphone thing. My wife hands me hers and tells me to call someone and I have ask her how to turn it on.
Hers good quote I heard once:
Quote:
Q: Why is it with <insert enormous electronics company> with 14,000 engineers cannot make a phone to compete with Apple iphone?

A: Because they have 14,000 engineers.
For the record I don't own any apple products.

Real world example would be phpBB permission set, I'm member of the team but have no input on development except comments which I'd imagine go mostly ignored. In any event the permission set is about as powerful as it can be, you can drill down permissions to single person. If you don't want to allow them to fart in a forum you can set it. The trouble is that it's so complicated, the developers understand it, I understand it after working with it for while but the casual Admin has nightmare.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
Look at it this way, folks: if you find any of today's technologies too difficult to understand, just hand the gadgets to your kids and see how they handle them. You will find out that today's kids don't find today's technologies difficult at all.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I'm LMAO at the PDA-to-a-computer-keyboard solution. WTH? The only reason I can see to do this is to make it easier to type into the PDA, and that's silly in itself. Why not just transfer the data from the PC if it has to be in the PDA.

Sounds like a techie got all excited and overextended a pitch to management. Now they're stuck having to justify it all.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,752,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK
Look at it this way, folks: if you find any of today's technologies too difficult to understand, just hand the gadgets to your kids and see how they handle them. You will find out that today's kids don't find today's technologies difficult at all.
Yea well they dont know really what "GOOD" is!!

The Celles that came out in the 80s WERE MUCH BETTER,sounded better and all

Who cares if they wieghed more,THE QUALITY WAS SUPERB! (Analogue opposed to digital.. THEY HAD AN ANTENNA abd they didnt hurt your eyes trying to see the small controls,etc......

Everything made now IS CHEAP GARBAGE!! (And the sick part is: MANY ACCEPT THIS CRAP WHEN WHAT THEY HAD BEFORE WAS MUCH BETTER,TOTALLY CONFUSING!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics