Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Anyone have Direct TV and can post a list of their itemized charges each month?
Their XTRA package is $39.99 but we see this in the fine print:
Required services based on selected receivers: Advanced Receiver Service ($15/mo for 24 months with Auto Bill Pay and Paperless Billing, Reg. price $25/mo)

Our cable bill has these extra charges:
broadcast fee $3.25
FCC Regulatory fee $0.08
Services Franchise fee $3.18
state tax 7.35%

Some of those would not be charged by Direct TV but which ones are on your Direct TV bill, and what other charges are on your bill?

Can I hook my existing VCR to the Direct TV receiver and record programs that way?

Who pays for repairs to their equipment or service calls related to issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times
yes you can hookup a vcr or dvd recorder to directv boxes and record. they require a 2 yr contract as well. you pay for the maint on the system as well as you can buy a maintance program as well

Old 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
yes you can hookup a vcr or dvd recorder to directv boxes and record. they require a 2 yr contract as well. you pay for the maint on the system as well as you can buy a maintance program as well
This is what is pathetic about Directv. They claim you are renting the equipment, then make you pay to fix it or to upgrade. Absolute nonsense. I dropped them eight years ago and never looked back. One of the most unethical companies I've ever dealt with. That, and their picture quality sucked.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

I agree with you velvet jones!! yes you borrow the equipment and then they make you fix it BS but cable does the same thing that's why there a equipment rental fee on your cable bill as well it's not just directv that charges dish does to and there worse than diretv. with dish you pay there maintance fee to get it fixed and on top of that they want 15.00 to come out if they have to screw that as well as dish charges you to move even if you have the maintance agreement I think it's 15.00 as well not sure on that but it's a reduced rate where directv extends your contract. another thing with directv is they quote on quote say thay you can buy the equipment and own it outright that's so not true the cost of the boxes is a deposit if your credit don't pass. I dropped directv and never looked back as well over the years they went to hell. I had em when they was directv and ussb and they were good then but today I wouldn't get there service if you paid me to keep it. ever wonder why directv gets an F rating from the BBB!!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I agree with you velvet jones!! yes you borrow the equipment and then they make you fix it BS but cable does the same thing that's why there a equipment rental fee on your cable bill as well it's not just directv that charges dish does to and there worse than diretv. with dish you pay there maintance fee to get it fixed and on top of that they want 15.00 to come out if they have to screw that as well as dish charges you to move even if you have the maintance agreement I think it's 15.00 as well not sure on that but it's a reduced rate where directv extends your contract. another thing with directv is they quote on quote say thay you can buy the equipment and own it outright that's so not true the cost of the boxes is a deposit if your credit don't pass. I dropped directv and never looked back as well over the years they went to hell. I had em when they was directv and ussb and they were good then but today I wouldn't get there service if you paid me to keep it. ever wonder why directv gets an F rating from the BBB!!
Hmm, I've never had to pay a maintenance fee with either Comcast or FIOS. When my Comcast DVR died they made me bring it to their repair center, but they gave me a brand new one for free. I had a FIOS HD box go bad as well, they were even better. Not only did they overnight me a new box, they included a pre-paid UPS label in the box as well. All I had to do was drop the broken STB back at the UPS store, they took care of the rest.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 PM

well with cable you pay xxx amount for a lease fee for the equipment. with dish you pay a lease fee as well plus a 15.00 trip charge if they need to come out. i'm with time warner I pay a lease fee for all my equipment but theres no charge for a trip charge if they need to come out and they just swap out the equipment if it's defective at no charge. cable or fios is better in my book if something breaks theres always a local office that you can go into and exchange the box vs satellite where you have to wait for them to ship it and deal with outsourced labor that can't undertand English. id'e never go back to satellite. and when directv did my install they drilled the holes for the cabling in the middle of the wall and not down by the baseboard like a normal human would do
and the ahole ran the cable all over the house running it from the kitchen into the living room wheres he could have drilled holes into the the living room wall and run the wire that way. I sued directv and I won I was pissed. as I don't think the installer was from the states earthier or legal i'm sure there using a different installer now than who they was using. and where does cable and fios get the pay channels from satellite. and the picture dosent go down when it snows out. and if you think directv's bad try hugesnet or directway if a bird flys over the dish and craps you loose your service and the speeds are no where near what they advertise

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,180 times
It would seem from a contractual law point, if the equipment belongs to the provider, and the provider insists title of ownership of the device belongs to DirectTV, then DirecTV should be responsible to repair their own equipment.

Now here is the rub. Consumers do not think to look at and vote with the answer of NO THANK YOU. Instead, you blindly sign the contract and in that same contract, you accept the responsibility for maintenance and repair. In other words, the shift the equipment liability to the consumer.

If the consumers would simply say goodbye to their DirecTV or cable service, these companies would have no choice but to do something to make it better. do something like reduce their price.

The power shift back to the consumer with then 24-month contract is up. That is why they entice you to re-sign up with deep discounts for 3, 6, or 12 months.

We need a Digital Broadcast System (DBS) Consumer Union that would give collective group strength to the DBS consumers' so they can effect change on these companies.

my $.02 worth.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
I'm with DISH, many years. I own my receiver/dish. No monthly fee, Never had a contract, don't have auto pay. Old tech receiver was replaced with a newer model [recently] no cost/obligation to me.
Top 200 $69.99 [no HD]
credit not to pay for locals -$5.00
Communications services tax $6.59
Video gross receipts tax $1.45
State/local sales tax .63
Total $73.66

Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones
This is what is pathetic about Directv. They claim you are renting the equipment, then make you pay to fix it or to upgrade. Absolute nonsense. I dropped them eight years ago and never looked back. One of the most unethical companies I've ever dealt with. That, and their picture quality sucked.
Exactly...... I dropped them earlier this year....... They tried to force me off my OWNED RCA BOX to rent one of thier crappy boxs!!! (Not as good as my RCA)

My bill started @ 29.95 in 1997 and ended up over $50 a month... FOR HARDILY ANYTHING BUT RUBBISH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics