U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM

11,521 posts, read 21,915,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My job required a lot of rental car traveling and I was thinking about getting a GPS but I am clueless about them. Anyone here have one they like/dislike? What are the pro's and con's of yours? I have some questions I want answered before I buy one if anyone can help.
I have the Garmin Nuvi 205W - 4.3" Touch Screen Hubby got it from Tiger Direct for $125 IIRC

It's ok but I wouldn't buy it again.
For my area most roads aren't on it which is weird because thdey are on google maps. I've even updated it, no go.

You would think that it would "remember" where you drive and the roads you take but it doesn't. It draws a lin on the roads you've driven on but when calculating a route, it doesn't take that into consideration. I also dislike the matte screen

EDIT - I absolutely hate the plug. Instead of giving you one for the house and car, they give one for the car then an adapter to plug that into for the house. It makes a loud hissing noise from what sounds like air going through a small hole. I've tried a regular USB wall plug from my Motorola phone, it will not charge the Garmin.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-04-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM

79 posts, read 198,808 times
I also bought the Garmin Nuvi and it has done me well most of the time. I do have one complaint in that it takes forever when first turned on to get a signal, probably, upwards of 15 minutes. That is probably my only complaint.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM

38,070 posts, read 46,876,404 times
We bought a $750. Garmin about 3 years ago. It has been great. This Christmas, we bought my son a $99. Nexstar (something like that..might not be the name) from QVC, and as far as I know the $99. one works just as well. Mounting stuff was included. Occasionally, our Garmin goes nuts and takes us on a wild goose chase (like, we'll be going on an interstate and it wants us to get off and then get back on...or we might think we're going to a specific restaurant that turns out to be a residential house).
No, there is no fee. After a period of time, you might be charged for downloading updates off your computer.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have the Garmin Nuvi 205W - 4.3" Touch Screen Hubby got it from Tiger Direct for $125 IIRC

It's ok but I wouldn't buy it again.
For my area most roads aren't on it which is weird because thdey are on google maps. I've even updated it, no go.

You would think that it would "remember" where you drive and the roads you take but it doesn't. It draws a lin on the roads you've driven on but when calculating a route, it doesn't take that into consideration. I also dislike the matte screen

EDIT - I absolutely hate the plug. Instead of giving you one for the house and car, they give one for the car then an adapter to plug that into for the house. It makes a loud hissing noise from what sounds like air going through a small hole.
Add to what I wrote above -
EDIT - I absolutely hate the plug. Instead of giving you one for the house and car, they give one for the car then an adapter to plug that into for the house. It makes a loud hissing noise from what sounds like air going through a small hole.

I've tried a regular USB wall plug from my Motorola phone, it will not charge the Garmin.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
My Nuvi will charge from a standard USB cable connected to a PC. In fact, it not only charges, but it identifies itself to the computer as two external drives - one accesses the internal memory on the GPS, and the other accesses the MicroSD card slot, turning the GPS into a card reader.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My Nuvi will charge from a standard USB cable connected to a PC. In fact, it not only charges, but it identifies itself to the computer as two external drives - one accesses the internal memory on the GPS, and the other accesses the MicroSD card slot, turning the GPS into a card reader.
Mine does that as well but I don't want to charge from a computer if I bring it in the house.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM

5,571 posts, read 6,092,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
I also bought the Garmin Nuvi and it has done me well most of the time. I do have one complaint in that it takes forever when first turned on to get a signal, probably, upwards of 15 minutes. That is probably my only complaint.
Does your area have open sky, or is the view limited by mountains or high buildings? At the beginning, you need to stand still for 2 minutes, that's all. If everything else is OK it should take even less. 15 min was the norm with old generation instruments. Today, it is much faster.
In any case you should have it checked.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:17 PM

516 posts, read 1,772,211 times
These can be really great - or sometimes really inconvenient or even dangerous!

A friend of mine had one (years ago.... I think they've improved since then).

The GPS led them down some crazy roads to a ferry terminal and suggested that they stop the car and take the ferry. The problem is that the sign said "Ferry runs from May through September". It was November. Oops.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM

823 posts, read 1,325,231 times
Can anyone comment on the speedometer function on GPS ? is this a standard type function. I've heard that it is more accurate than the speedo in the auto, and since I've got slightly oversized tires, I wonder If it may be a secondary solution.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
It's far more accurate than the speedometer in your dash. Your speedometer is subject to variance from cable stretch, tire wear, tire pressure, sloppy manufacturing tolerances, etc.

With each update (typically once per second), the GPS measures the distance between your current position and the last position it recorded, and calculates your speed using the classic D/T=S formula.

I have 33" tires on my Jeep, and I rely on my GPS for accurate speed measurements. I have a ballpark idea of how off my speedometer is, but if there's a cop around, it's very nice to know for sure that I'm not speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics