U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 AM

823 posts, read 1,325,231 times

Advertisements

So mph is a standard function, a choice or option on the menu, or an actual read-out on screen ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
They pretty much all have the option of displaying it somewhere on the screen. Even the units designed primarily for trail use will typically have it. I've had three GPS units - a basic trail-oriented unit (eTrex Legend - still have it), a "hybrid" unit that had a rugged trail design and also did routing (GPSMap 60c - stolen a few weeks ago) and a purely automotive unit (Nuvi 260 to replace the 60c), and all of them would display the speed if you wanted them to. It's probably worth noting that they're all Garmins, and I don't have direct experience with other brands, but I can't imagine that a feature so obviously important and simple to implement would be lacking in other brands.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM

309 posts, read 936,187 times
I got an entry level Garmin Nuvi at Best Buy for 99 bucks on sale. I told my friends and family about the sale and they all went and got one.

There have been a couple frustrating times (Seattle/Tacoma visit) where it got us lost. We were looking for a Best Buy and it took us to some bad areas in Renton and we never did find it.

It has saved us so much though and is certainly worth a couple hundred to have it. If you can afford the text-to speech model get it. it is annoying when you are in busy traffic and the voice only says "turn right .2 miles ahead" and you don't know what street to look for without having to look at the gps. (Bad if your wife is holding it in her hands because we forgot the stand)

Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 PM

13,698 posts, read 15,864,309 times
Mine is a Motorola Motonav - it serves its purpose.

I find point A to B easily. Very simple to use.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,517,745 times
Mine is a TomTom 720. I love it, love it, love it!

TomTom GO 720 GPS Review

Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,342,281 times
We have two Garmins one with a larger screen than the other. I agree with those who have given 'fair warning'--directions aren't always accurate. In fact, the first turn leaving from our home says 'left' when you can only turn right from our street. But, it is worth the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics