Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

My 4-5 yr old Garmin Nuvi needs updated maps, as recently I've been encountering more than a handful of inaccuracies, either giving me wrong directions (biz's which are on the right side of the street, not left), biz's which no longer exist or have changed names (I was trying to find Henry's Mkt & it's now a Sprouts) or new biz's which aren't in the Garmin (it tells me to drive 30-mi to the closest Big Lots, but there's one 1/2-mi away).

Also, on our recent drive from CO to CA, we almost ran out of gas when the Garmin assured us there were 1/2-dozen gas stations off several exits, yet there were none... they looked like ghost towns, with boarded up, former gas stations. Yeah, that didn't start any arguments.

I use it almost every time I'm in the car, especially as I've just relocated.

So, my question is, is it worth $50 to update the maps of a 4-5 yr old Garmin, or would spending $100+ for a new unit be what most would do? I've read some of the old posts here about others having issues updating maps & on some older posts, people saying it just simply didn't work without complex workarounds. I'd like to avoid the latter, in particular.

I don't need any other special features, like are offered in the $300+ models... such as speaking commands, 3D bldgs & lane change assist. But, if these gadgets only last 6-7 yrs max, then it might be best to just get a new one. My sister has gone through 3 in about 6-yrs (she had a Tom Tom & 2 others I don't recall, but they weren't Garmin), but she had 2 teenagers also using it, so who knows how much bumping & thumping it took. If they normally last 10-yrs, I'll just spend the $50.

Also, not sure if this factors into the decision, or if it's a normal GPS occurrence, as I've heard so many repeat the same... but sometimes the poor Garmin has a nervous breakdown (is it because it's always left in a hot car?) & has me taking U-Turns over & over or says to take a left when there's no left to take. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's beginning to happen more often... maybe 3-4 times/mo. I know that weather can affect it, so perhaps it's only happening more as in CO, I didn't encounter fog/rain very often, but here it's been more prevalent recently?

What would you do? Update maps or buy new unit?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
A lot of the new units come with lifetime maps. I'd get a new unit and then never have to worry about paying for maps again.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

What would you do?

I am assuming you don't have a smartphone with google maps.

Google maps are much better than garmin maps as they provide street traffic via crowdsourcing. You also have the option of viewing Sigalert (you're from Encinitas) using the new sigalert app for smartphones.

I don't know why anyone would use a standalone gps for their car anymore.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Agree with PCity. Agree with Chester, too.

But there are reasons to have a dedicated device. Some phones don't have proper docks and those generic ones aren't all that great.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post

I don't know why anyone would use a standalone gps for their car anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree with Chester, too.

But there are reasons to have a dedicated device. Some phones don't have proper docks and those generic ones aren't all that great.
I've never used standalone GPS. Google Maps has always done a marvelous job. I've never needed a dock either... do some people need to look at the GPS screen as they are driving?

For me the audio "in 2 miles, turn left onto Elm St." has been good enough.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
We've had ours 4 years. I bought lifetime updates and update 4 times a year.

No wrong turns or changed businesses that we've seen.

That said I'm thinking about a new one. My experience with Google maps on a smart phone has been dismal.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I've had google maps steer me into the wromg place several times. Our Garmin NUVI has been on target all the time. I have lifetime map update service. Garmin automatically notifies me when it's time to update my maps.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Google maps is good enough for most, standalone GPS is not used by anyone I know, that is under 55.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Thank you all very much.

I do have an iPhone & Google maps (& am under 55, Colorado ), but I prefer to see the screen & have verbal assist... my model doesn't announce street names, only says, 'In xx-miles, turn left'. I'm absolutely pathetic with directions (don't try to understand it, no one does, it's just something I accept now) & even when I've lived in the same city for years, still needed to utilize printed Mapquest directions... so the GPS is very helpful & a step up from a glove box stuffed with crumpled paper.

I'll mull it over (will probably just get an update, since that will perhaps take me through another 4-5 yrs, when I'm sure there'll be some newfangled toy), but, in the meantime, I'll download the Sigalert app & see if it's helpful, especially if it does speak the street name.

Thanks again for your input, everyone!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I've never used standalone GPS. Google Maps has always done a marvelous job. I've never needed a dock either... do some people need to look at the GPS screen as they are driving?
Are you joking? Heck yes!!
I like to look at it while driving.
I have a factory dock for my Motorola RAZR HD and it sits perfectly on my dash. When she says "Turn Right on Detroit Road" I like to glance over to be sure THIS is the right road in an area that has many streets close together. Plus I like to look at the screen after I complete one direction so I can see what the next one will be and how far it is.

Dedicated GPS's are good though. Nothing wrong with using those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics