U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM

40 posts, read 83,732 times

Advertisements

I have several VHS tapes that are in PAL format(European TV Format). I would like to convert them to NTSC(US format) DVDs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,965,443 times
Easy done how many tapes are you talking about?

Several companies do it, I used to use one for converting a dvd NTSC to VHS PAL,r an about $15 each time.

Shoot me a PM and I will pass on the details.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,112,324 times
I use Nero to burn CDs. If you can get it uploaded to a computer file, you can use Nero to convert it from PAL to NTSC.

If you can find someone who has a DVD burner that hooks up to a home stereo where you can also hook up the VCR that should be the harder part.

There are companies that do this but it can run into some money.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times
I have PAL VHS tapes from out time overseas and need to convert hem to US NTSC DVD format. How can this be accomplished?

Old 12-14-2015, 02:36 PM

202 posts, read 342,271 times
There were several PAL VHS players/recorders made for the US market back in the 80's-90's before DVDs were popular...the most expensive was the Panasonic AG-W1; another was the Aiwa HV-MX1. There is one working HV-MX1 listed on Ebay for $375. You would play the PAL tape in that unit and feed it to a DVD recorder and you'd then have an NTSC DVD of the original PAL tape.

I have a Panasonic AG-W1 and am still in the duplication business if anyone wants PAL VHS tapes converted to DVD.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM

10,546 posts, read 5,805,669 times
Don't have an answer for the PAL but just an observation of converting tape to DVD. Use a DVD recorder, be it part of a VHS/DVD deck or a separate recorder. These little units that are one end A/V and the other USB are, IMHO, not satisfactory.

They work, yes, but not well as that there are a lot of page faults and skips. From my uninformed observation, they lack the capacity to process that much information all at once. It takes a DVD recorder to be able to process that amount of information properly.

After the DVD is finalized, then it can be copied and stored on a computer.

IMHO.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:28 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,808,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
These little units that are one end A/V and the other USB are, IMHO, not satisfactory.
Problems often associated with USB and video capture are CPU usage on the computer especially if it's older computer. The stream has to be sent real time and if there is spike of CPU usage which USB itself can cause you'll drop frames. The USB1 devices were absolutely useless, if you are having issues with a USB2 device you should bne able to get it to work with a little tweaking.

This is why tape DV camcorders came with Firewire, USB2 is faster but cannot sustain speeds reliably like Firewire. This is irrelevant for Camcorders that do not use tape for storage.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
Default pal vhs to dvd

Hi George. I read your comment that you convert PAL vhs to DVd. I have the same player, but it won't output to the dvd player. The Panasonic is fine when connected directly to the tv and will display NTSC. But when I go out of the AG-W1 and into the dvd recorder, it says wrong format.

I am guessing that the DVD player won't take that signal...but not sure. Tried a couple of different dvd players and no luck.

Any thoughts? And does the DVD recorder have to be multi region as well?

Thanks for any help

Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
PAL to NTSC can be complicated because the signal must be converted from 25 frames/second and 625 scan lines to 30 frames/second 525 scan lines. Unless a DVD recorder supports both PAL and NTSC, you can't go that way.

If you have a PAL video player, you could do analog video capture on your computer with a cheap device, and go from there. But unless you love this stuff, or have a lot of tape, it's probably better to pay someone.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
If you can watch your PAL VHS on your TV you can easily hook it up to a capture device on your PC or a standalone DVD recorder. Your PAL capable VCR is already converting it to NTSC which is what your TV is (I assume since you are in the US)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics