U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,438,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you haven't found them yet. Two great sites where you can win $$ and prizes without giving a CC#. The advertisers pay for the wins. Requires Internet Explorer, won't work with Firefox. Kenny Rogers and National League Of Poker

The Gambler Poker Club Poker Home (http://poker.thegamblermobile.com/CheckPokerServersPage,$Form_0.sdhtml - broken link)

NLOP - THE NATIONAL LEAGUE OF POKER - ALWAYS FREE POKER, WIN CASH & PRIZES

See ya' there!
Thanks! I'll take a look at them. I've been playing on Pokerstars for 2-3 years now. When I got the laptop with wireless I was so happy! I can sit outside and watch the hummingbirds bicker, and play poker. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If you take into consideration that an Ipod can store like 6000 songs and online the songs cost .99 cents each, thats pretty pricey. There are other ways to get music.
My ipod 80gig should be able to hold ohhhh 22000 songs, not just 6000 ;p

Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM

I don't see any way to add songs to a wish list to buy at a later date. It looks like the only choise is to buy. Do any of you know how to save the songs to buy in a group at a later date? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,943 times
go to your options and set it to put things in a shopping cart, then you can buy the entire cart, or just a few songs at a time. works pretty good.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I don't see any way to add songs to a wish list to buy at a later date. It looks like the only choise is to buy. Do any of you know how to save the songs to buy in a group at a later date? Thanks!
---
To create playlists of your own CD's:

1. First launch iTunes in your computer, and then insert your music CD in the computer's CD/DVD.

2. iTunes will recognize a music CD. At this point you can select to play the songs in your music CD, or to "import" the songs from your music CD to iTunes in your computer. This may take a few minutes, but not too long depending on how much stuff you have in the CD.

3. Select "import music," and iTunes will extract the songs from the CD and place them in the iTunes "Library."

4. Once the songs have been imported, look at the "Music" folder. This one is located above all the playlists you may already have. If you haven't created any playlists, you still can see "Music" at the left top corner of the iTunes window.

5. Select "Create a new playlist" from the iTunes menu, and name the playlist folder. Now, go to the "Music" folder, select the songs you want in the playlist, and drag them to the playlist you just created.

If you want to burn a music CD, just open the playlist you have created, and click on "Burn" in the iTunes window. Follow the dialog.

Depending on the song sizes, I usually burn a CD with 19 or so songs. If the playlist is too long to fit in one music CD, iTunes will tell you so, and will give you the option to continue burning the rest of the songs on a second CD (or more). However, I don't do that, because one CD may be full, and the other may only have a couple of songs. What I do instead is to "deselect" (remove the check-mark) one song at a time, and try "Burn" each time after. When iTunes has decided that there are not too many songs in the list to "burn," then it will ask you to insert a blank CD.

I buy some songs from the iTunes store, but only when a music CD I may want to purchase has only a couple of songs I want. In this case I just buy the two songs, and don't have to spend the extra money on a music CD.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM

Thank you both. I added quite a few songs. SO many to choose from... LOL
Thanks for the help!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Thank you both. I added quite a few songs. SO many to choose from... LOL
Thanks for the help!
Keep in mind that if you just want to listen to a certain music or band on your iPod, and happen to have several music CD's of that band, you can import the CD's into iTunes, and then create a playlist as you as you want. But you can also play (listen to) the whole Music folder or library if you want. You must do all of this in iTunes in your computer, and then upload the playlists, library, etc. into the iPod. You can also delete songs you don't want, create short or long playlists, etc.

I listen to the long playlists when driving for a long time. The receiver in my car is iPod ready. All I have to to is to connect the iPod to a cable that came with the receiver. This cable has an USB plug at one end, and an iPod plug at the other end. I control the iPod right from the receiver, and the screen on the receiver shows who or what band is playing, etc.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,007,378 times
I purchased an 8 gig IPod for my 14 YO for Christmas. What do I do now? Should I go online and set up an account so that he can download songs? I know that he will want to use it immediately on Christmas morning. And will he be able to use it without anything else? Do I need to get any accessories in order for him to use it? My mom has gotten him some really good speakers, but I mean will he need any cables or anything to hook it up to the computer?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 PM

357 posts, read 822,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I purchased an 8 gig IPod for my 14 YO for Christmas. What do I do now? Should I go online and set up an account so that he can download songs? I know that he will want to use it immediately on Christmas morning. And will he be able to use it without anything else? Do I need to get any accessories in order for him to use it? My mom has gotten him some really good speakers, but I mean will he need any cables or anything to hook it up to the computer?

Apple includes everything you (or your son) will need to get started in the box:
-iPod music player
-Earbud headphones
-Transfer cable
-iTunes software on CD
-User manual

Now if you have .mp3 files (or similar digital audio files) on your computer, iTunes will automatically load them and sync them to the iPod. If not, simply rip your existing CDs onto your computer using the iTunes software and sync them to the iPod.

Apple is notorious for making their products SUPER SIMPLE, so you should have no problem getting everything up and running.

I'm sure your son will love his gift, and good luck with everything!!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
You don't have to create an account. All you have to do is to download and install the free iTunes program from Apple, but before you install it in your computer you may have to disable the anti-virus protection. I am not certain about this, so read the installation instructions first.

If your kid has some CD's around, "import" the songs into iTunes in your computer (as I stated before in another post). The next step is to create the playlists he wants (iTunes in the computer). The last step is to connect the iPod to the computer with the USB/iPod cable that comes with the iPod. The computer will charge the iPod.

Whatever you do, don't disconnect the iPod from the computer for now. Turn the iPod switch (a little button at the bottom of the iPod should show red when ON). When you connect the iPod to the computer, if iTunes has not been launched by you, it will automatically launch when it recognizes the iPod. It will probably give you an option to set or format the iPod to Macintosh, or to PC depending on what computer you have, and then will take you thorough the steps to register your iPod, create an account, etc. If you don't want to register it right then, you can choose to do so.

You only disconnect the iPod from the computer after you have "ejected" the iPod. A few seconds after you have ejected the iPod, you will see something like this on the iPod's screen: "It's now safe to disconnect your iPod." It's a good idea to leave the ipod connected to the computer until the battery charges fully. When it's done charging, it will stop charging automatically, and will tell you so.

Remember that the iPod is just a hard drive, USB memory card, SD card, camera with a memory card, etc. For that reason, always eject such drives or cards, regardless of kind, before you disconnect them from the computer.

Your kid can download songs from the Apple store once an account has been set. You can set an account without providing a credit card number, but the number will be needed when ready to download songs. For security reasons, save credit card numbers in you computer. Songs cost $0.95 (cents), although some free music can be found at the Apple store. For example, some folks want to be recognized for their music, and post their music samples at the Apple store. I am not a big fan of such, but some folks may like it. I just buy want, which is not much since I have a lot of music CD's to upload to iTunes in my computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics