U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM

1,169 posts, read 3,437,542 times

Advertisements

I always thought since these were made by Apple they weren't compatable with regular PC's. I know nothing about them, but they do sound cool. So, how does it work? You buy songs from an online source that goes on the unit? Can you get them onto a PC? Can you record them to a standard audio CD? I see one that says is has WiFi. Does it have a browser so you can be on internet? How do you play in cars if your car doesn't have a connection? I'm very curious now. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,195,924 times
They are in fact compatible with PC's. iPods are simply mp3 players. They work in conjunction with the iTunes application. You use iTunes to manage your music - whether its from CD's you already own, music you buy from the "iTunes store", or have existing mp3 files.

iTunes is really the app you interact with. The iPods simply allows you to take your music (from your computer) with you. By default, you can't move music from the iPod onto your computer (otherwise, I'd just borrow your ipod and add your music to my collection). You can actually download iTunes from the Apple site for free.... and manage your music without the iPod. Or at least try it out and see how it suits you. Not everyone likes the way iTunes arrange the files.

As for your questions:
Your songs goes onto your desktop.. and sync it to your ipod.
You can cut CD's via the iTunes app
You can use the ipod in your car/stereo/other devices through specific ipod connections or RCA jacks. The ipod specific jacks usually provides more features (i.e. browsing your songs via the car/home stereo and recharging the ipod).

Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I always thought since these were made by Apple they weren't compatable with regular PC's. I know nothing about them, but they do sound cool. So, how does it work? You buy songs from an online source that goes on the unit? Can you get them onto a PC? Can you record them to a standard audio CD? I see one that says is has WiFi. Does it have a browser so you can be on internet? How do you play in cars if your car doesn't have a connection? I'm very curious now. Thanks for any input.
Think of it as the Walkman of the 21st Century

Let's quickly glance over how you use it. (a bit more simplified)

1) Install software (aka iTunes)
2a) 'Rip' your CD's into MP3's onto your computer with iTunes. As simple as inserting the CD, waiting for the internets to get track information, and then pressing the extract/rip button.
2b) Go to the iTunes Music Store, set up an account, and find music that you like. Enter a credit card, and purchase to your heart's desire.
3) Make sure your music is in the Music Library.
4) Plug it in, wait for the two things to sync, then eject the iPod.
5) Enjoy!

Above poster has addressed most of your question, but let me put my recommendation in for the Monster iCarPlay

Amazon.com: Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus FM Transmitter/Charger for iPod: Electronics

You plug it into your Car's Cigarette Lighter, then you try and find the channels with the most static (for me, it's usually 107.9, 93.7 and 88.1), you set them, and the tool converts static into clear air and you can easily play it from iPod to radio. If you have a tape deck, a normal cassette adaptor should do the trick.

Personally, I've had an iPod since 2004. My first one lasted a year, and my other has lasted since around 2005. When I was in school, I used it everyday, couldn't live a day without it.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:50 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
think of an iPod as a usb drive or memory card but fancier and with an ear plug and screen

that's how i explained it to my MIL and she got the hang of it

Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,110,631 times
If you take into consideration that an Ipod can store like 6000 songs and online the songs cost .99 cents each, thats pretty pricey. There are other ways to get music.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
yeah but you can transfer all of your cds to itunes

i probably spend about $100/yr at the itunes store buying songs/tv shows

i haven't bought a cd probably since ... 2002

Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
yeah but you can transfer all of your cds to itunes

i probably spend about $100/yr at the itunes store buying songs/tv shows

i haven't bought a cd probably since ... 2002
Or, you could just have an obscene CD collection like me, and not have to spend any money on iTunes

Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,486,936 times
I love itunes! It's very easy to use (and you get lots of free songs and stuff too ). Best of all, your itunes collection is all backed up to apple, so you'll never lose your collection.

I have the ipod shuffle G2, and while it's a great little machine (not to mention adorable ), I'd rather have a nano - the shuffle is limited. It can be a great intro to ipods though and it's cheap ($79).

Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If you take into consideration that an Ipod can store like 6000 songs and online the songs cost .99 cents each, thats pretty pricey. There are other ways to get music.
I buy a song or two every now and then, but I mostly import into the iPod songs from my collection of CD's. The iTunes library I have in my computer has at least 3,000 songs, and every time I buy a new CD I upload the songs into iTunes.

I also back-up the iTune's Library to an external hard drive, just in case
-------
Now, with an iPod you don't need a stereo system to listen to your music, but most receivers manufacturers (Sony, Kenwood, Clarion, Yamaha, Bose, etc.) have docking stations for you to "dock" your iPod. You can control the iPod with the receiver. One can also buy a FM transmitter for the car that plugs to the cigarette lighter, and the music from the iPod is played through the radio speakers. The new car receivers have iPod docking stations, too.

But there is a great set of Bose speakers specifically designed to the iPod. Plug the speaker-set into an electrical outlet, then dock the iPod on it, and play away. One of these sets cost nearly $300.00, and the other costs $350.00. The plus is that an iPod with a set of these these speakers make a complete home stereo unit that puts out a lot of sound.

iPod's are being used at radio stations on the Internet. But you can set an iPod to play music all day (or weeks) on a radio station. A CD changer is not longer needed to play specifically designed "Playlists."

The newest iPod's are switching from hard drives to electronic drives (no moving parts). Such drives for your computer are very expensive at the moment, but the price will drop within a couple of years.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,437,542 times
Thanks for all the info. I went online and downloaded the Itunes software. Having problems with my anti-virus software or something though - won't connect to store for some reason. Oh, well. I'll figure it out.
I had no idea you could put CD's you own in there too. That's very cool. I love technology! I'm still so happy I can't stand it with my Toshiba laptop that I can sit outside and play poker via wireless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics